AT - Mt Wash

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rup

Reaction score
Just looking at Google map of Mt Wash noticed that they have AT leaving summit and decending via Tux to PN, and crossing the road, up to Wildcat.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. OR, has the AT been re-located?

Last edited:
Just looking at Google map of Mt Wash noticed that they have AT leaving summit and decending via Tux to PN, and crossing th up toe road and up to Wildcat.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. OR, has the AT been re-located?

Last I checked it stills follows the Gulfside Trail from Mt. Washington, across the Northern Presidentials to Osgood Trail, then to the Madison Gulf Trail before hitting the Pinkham Notch Visitors' Center before crossing Route 16. Google must be taking a shortcut so as to make Mt. Katahdin before closing time.

:)

Google's track for the AT is wrong in a lot of places (same with the PCT). I wonder where they get their info from. I noticed the other day that at Stratton Pond in VT, they've got the AT/LT coming from the southwest (what is actually the Stratton Pond Trail) rather than from the east from Stratton Mountain. Just scrolling along their line for the AT/LT, it stays on track for a few miles, then goes off somewhere completely off the actual trail just south of Glastenbury... was the trail originally down that way? I wonder...

Just scrolling along their line for the AT/LT, it stays on track for a few miles, then goes off somewhere completely off the actual trail just south of Glastenbury... was the trail originally down that way? I wonder...
That was the route the first time I did it, 2 relocations ago (W Ridge in between) - last I knew it could still be followed due to local use

But AT has gone over Madison a good long time, doubt it ever used Lion Head route

Google's track for the AT is wrong in a lot of places (same with the PCT). I wonder where they get their info from. I noticed the other day that at Stratton Pond in VT, they've got the AT/LT coming from the southwest (what is actually the Stratton Pond Trail) rather than from the east from Stratton Mountain. Just scrolling along their line for the AT/LT, it stays on track for a few miles, then goes off somewhere completely off the actual trail just south of Glastenbury... was the trail originally down that way? I wonder...

The first time I did that section of LT, the white blaze route was the Stratton Pond Trail, with optional loop over Stratton Mountain.

Likewise, the LT did go straight south from Glastenbury Mountain to the end of the road through Woodford Hollow. There was a long road walk to the Molly Stark Trail where it crossed Route 9, and went up the hill on the other side.

That would make sense based on how Google Maps works for directions. To get from Mt. Washington Summit to PNVC, two places where the AT crosses, the quickest route would be that way.

Then again I'm a luddite & bias towards maps since my middle initial is A. :D

Google AT route

The Google AT feature is great but I've noticed innacuracies including Franconia Notch where it has the AT going over Cannanballs and across I93 at the campground and up Bridle instead of to the south, and it seems to be pretty messed up between 302 and Jackson as well, and at other places. Hopefully they will correct it (I've submitted an error notice), otherwise it may lead to some inconvenient missed pick-ups at road crossings.
John