Attaching Patches

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie and Beth

Reaction score
My son has several patches from the AMC huts and various other places that he has hiked and would like me to sew them on his back pack. Does anyone have any other suggestions for attaching them? Or, alternatively, does anyone have another suggestion for displaying them?
Thanks!
Beth

When I put a few on my backpack (ADK 75th Anniv, L/T Adopter and the like) I used a big needle, pliers and nylon carpet thread. I then used Seam grip on the inside of the pack to seam seal all the holes and supergunk all the loose threads

(Terrible at sewing, but great at squirting SeamSeal on everything, including me.... :cool: )

I've sewn my "important" patches to an extra OR pocket that I can add on to or delete from my pack. That gives me the option of moving it from pack to pack. When I'm sewing patches on, the first thing I do is "tack" the patch in place with safety pins. I don't get overly careful in sewing them on, except I use several threads rather than one continuous needle/thread stitching per patch. Also, I just use regular thread, doubled up. One mistake I've made is sewing the patch through all of the material of the pocket, which kinda makes it difficult to put things in it! :p

Last edited:
I started sewing a few modest patches on a favorite fleece sweatshirt, then I started adding some that were close to my heart, now I'm beginning to feel like a walking NASCAR machine. Well, at least they hold what is now a rather thin sweathsirt together. :eek:

I saw antique patches on a sweater from Gorsuch( a high end Vail store). I used to sew mine on a backpack but it's such a chore to do and now I don't use that backpack so i need to remove them and put them on something else.
Another friend has a table that she covered with foam and velvet, placed the patches and pins on top and then put a glass on top of that. It looks really nice especially since she is an older lady that has been involved with and inducted into in USSA hall of Fame--so you can imagine her collection.

I would attach them to a separate piece of cloth that you can then put on the pack. Something like corduca would hold up well and could be transferred when he gets a new pack, which is inevitable.

When I sew anything regarding hiking gear, I use Gorilla braid, which is found in the fishing section. It comes in different weight lines and is made of woven kevlar. I've never had anything break I've sewn so far to date.

Hi Beth,

This same question came up when a friend of mine asked for the best place to display them. I suggested a frame. She went with it and loves it and I must admit I think they look very classy in there and will be well-protected for years to come.

Tom

Tom & Atticus said:
Hi Beth,

This same question came up when a friend of mine asked for the best place to display them. I suggested a frame. She went with it and loves it and I must admit I think they look very classy in there and will be well-protected for years to come.

Tom

Thanks! What a great idea.

I took two of each patch and placed them back-to-back with hot glue over one of the wire loops you get to hold a ski area lift ticket.* After the glue set I then used nylon thread to stitch around the edges just to be completely secure. I can then hang them with a small 'biner on any pack I want.

*At smaller ski areas; the larger ones now just use plastic zip-ties which won't work.

My son collected the hut patches while we worked on the NH48. He also got a special one at Lake’s hut for conservation along with a standing ovation. He wanted to attach them to his pack so I showed him how to sew them on (home schooling project :) ).
He was proud of his work and to this day carries that pack for work every day many years later.

A good friend of mine has an excellent idea. He puts all of this patches (and there are a lot of them) on his change of clothers duffel.

I stick a lot of my hiking patches on a huge, travel duffel. Makes it really easy to spot coming out onto the baggage carousel.