Baxter trails?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke with HQ a couple of days ago and NO trails are open up Katahdin and won't likely be soon with all the rain we are having.

The Park Rd. is only open west to Foster Field and is open east to Roaring Brook.

Have fun. I was going to go this weekend but have decided to attend to family business in Hanover instead. I've had enough hiking in the rain for now (and it's been lots!)

spencer

Any sense of whether won't be open soon means not this weekend or not for a month...I've got a leanto at Chimmney Pond the weekend of June 20th...

I'm sure you'll be fine by June 20th.

either way, the Park will call you if they have to change your reservations for some reason. You can get to Chimney Pond now, but the trails up Katahdin aren't "open."

have fun, Crooker!

spencer

Sunday I talked with a guy who hiked up to check out Hunt Trail conditions - still lots of snow and ice, he said that trail won't open for a while.

I was in the Park today:

Abol was opened but they closed it again this morning. However, they never told HQ, so when I checked in at HQ at 8am they said it was open. When I got to Togue Pond, they said it was closed. I was hoping for my first K hike of the season, but I had to change my plans. which I will write about tomorrow...

The road is, in fact, closed after Foster Field. Doubletop trail is open.

They are hoping Hunt will be open in a week, but it very well may not be that soon.

Forget about the north side...

spencer

well that's some encouraging news at least, i was thinking about heading up in a few days possibly, but will do a little hiking in acadia first. at least doubletop is open, that could be fun, i haven't hiked that one yet.

Several years ago some trails were closed as late as late June.

Two years ago there were still significant snow fields around the 4th of July but none impacting trails.

june 16th update

I just called the park and they said they just opened Chimney Pond for camping and all trails except Saddle would be open this weekend. I'm ready for the mud...