Cabot cabin rain barrel?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solo_hiker

Reaction score
could anyone tell me the status of the rain barrel at the Cabot summit cabin? is it working? thanx

Ciao Solo

I don't know about this year, but last summer it was turned over. We got water from a small spring nearby that someone here told me about. There are directions to the spring written above the door of the cabin. It's about 10 mins. down a (then marked) side path on the right as you go towards the summit from the cabin. The path is a little steep, but no big deal. I made it there in about 10 mins. The water source is small, but I got about 7 liters out without a problem. Heck, it's deeper that Liberty Spring! I don't know how reliable it is tho.

A picture is attached. I believe the bottle is a one liter. (Can't remember now, and I put it there for scale. Duh!)

P.S. I just check the downsized picture I attached. It makes the water look brown. It's not! It was crystal clear, cold, and sweet. Much better than the contents of a stagnant rain barrel!

Last edited:
The cabot water supply is very reliable although it gets very slow in a dry year. Bring a dipping cup and a book !. It is not well marked and is a bit of a walk down a marginal side trail so its best found in the daylight.