Cardigan State Park in winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grayjay

Reaction score
Is the road open into Mount Cardigan on the west side in the winter?

Is the road open into Mount Cardigan on the west side in the winter?

No, they close the road in from Canaan in the wintertime. However, there is a parking area at the closure (good for 6-8 cars). It adds about 2/3 of a mile in each direction to the approach to the summer trailhead.

By the way, I always recommend going up to Rimrock/South Peak first, then looping over to the main summit. Same trailhead, but bear right/straight at the first trail junction to get to Rimrock. It makes for a fantastic loop and adds very little mileage. The scamper up to the main summit may be a mix of ice and rock right now, but with some creativity you shouldn't have a problem. It was pretty darn icy when I did it around New Years, but it may be a bit better now.
Enjoy it - a wonderful little hike!

From experience, the section of Cardigan Mtn Rd / Burnt Hill Rd that remains open is just hilly and curvy enough that you may get into trouble in a 2wd sedan, at least with merely "all-season" tires. I made it to within twenty feet of the parking lot, but that last curving uphill put me sideways. Luckily I had rope, and it's easy to convince passing trucks to give you a pull when you're blocking the whole road.