Carry Trail>Colvin-Blake Col

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEO

Reaction score
Does anyone know the mileage from the Carry Trail to the Colvin-Blake Col? I think it's 1.1 miles, but can't remember and my Google searches don't come up with any answers.

Thanks!

una_dogger said:
FromHigh Peaks Guide, 13th Ed:

Distances:
Carry Trail to Jct with Blake Trail, 1.1 mi
to Summit of Colvin, 1.9 mi
Total ascent to Colvin from Carry Trail,2100 ft

Happy Hiking!
:D

Thanks! I hiked up it a couple of years ago. Yup, it's steep. And fun. How long would you guys guess the steep part--from the 650-1000m contours--is, about 0.70-0.80 miles?

I haven't hiked it myself (have to hit all the peaks with main approaches through the AMR from the backside b/c I have a dog) but the guide says it gets going steeply right from the get go....you are probably safe to estimate that it will compare to other ascents like it in NY, I'm thinking like going up to Sugarloaf in the Catskills which is a ~1375ft ascent in .75 mile from the Notch.

TEO, this is an informative site you may enjoy:
http://www.adirondackjourney.com/

Take pics if you can!

When do you plan to go??

FTR, I hope to hit Blake, Colvin, Dial and Nippletop in August as a traverse from Elk Lake and then bushwack down to the Dix trail to avoid the AMR (the dog friendly way to go). Will be looking for someone who wants to car spot.

Last edited:
Ah, yes. Adirondack Journey is a terrific site. FWIW, I check and he doesn't cover that trail

For better or worse, I'm not planning on hiking the trail in the near future, as I mentioned earlier, I hiked it a couple of years ago. I was merely curious, and I couldn't remember what I'd found in the books last night.

Relative to your upcoming hike, that's not a bad way to bag Blake. Make sure to bring a head net, the deer flies around Elk Lake are vicious. I've really never experienced anything else like it.

Don't rule out trails that cross AMR land, there are some really good ones.

Heh heh..yeah, I spent a night at Elk Lake once, think I "donated" about two pints of A+ to the insects.

I'll use the AMR for Winter Peaks, for sure, when I hike dog-less.

Thanks for the advice,
Sabrina

recent visit

Saturday June 30, I climbed Sawteeth and then down to the Carry trail and up Blake and Colvin. The ascent to Blake from the Ausable bridge (el. 1940 ft, 0.1 mi from the start of the trail) was 2000 ft in 1.6 mile. It will definitely get your attention! To reach the start of this trail the shortest way, over Sawteeth from St. Huberts, you have already climbed 3000 ft.