carter notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tramper

Reaction score
I'm staying at the Carter Notch Hut this spring. Any good hikes recommended around that area. Doesn't matter if they include any peaks. Thanks.

In my opinion, the absolute best hike from there (and one of the best views in the Whites, really) is straight up to Carter Dome and Mt Hight, which are a mile or two to the north on the Appalachian Trail via the Carter-Moriah trail I believe. I'll warn you now that it is steep, but it is totally worth it if the skies are blue - the views from Mt Hight are AMAZING!

The trip up to Wildcat "A" is nice, too, but there aren't as many open views... there is a nice one that looks east towards the Baldfaces from near the unmarked summit of Wildcat A.

Be sure to tag Carter Dome en route to the hut. I suggest to make a side trip to Mt. Hight, which as I'm told affords views of the area.

If late enough in spring that the snow is gone and the ground firmed up (because otherwise even with snowshoes you'll be postholing the "rotten" snow), from the Hut head down the Wildcat River Trail to the Wild River Trail to Perkins Notch. If you have time, overshoot a little to the shelter, turn left, and head out to No Ketchum Pond for some gorgeous views. Then back in the notch proper (really just a flat spot in the trail; it's all logging railroad grade down there), take the Rainbow Trail up to the Dome then down to the hut.

I haven't hiked b/w from the hut to the Wildcats, but the view from the top of the ski area is stunning.

From the hut, hike up the steep section to Carter Dome, then over to Mt. Height. This summit is beautiful, and by good fortune is not on the 4k list, so most people hiking in the area hike around the summit, despite it being known for the views. Below is a view from early autumn.
mt.jpg

Agreed with MichealJ on Perkin's Notch and Noketchum Pond areas. Great chance for wildlife sighting and general beautiful forest setting.

Happy Trails :)

Last edited:
I have hiked into the hut via the Imp, and CM trail - a real nice day - only about 7 hours for a slow to average hiker with an overnight pack. Hiking in over the Wildcats is another story...

I have gone up CD from the hut and descended into Perkins Notch via the Rainbow Trail - a real nice trail...interesting semi-alpine spot halfway down, and a great birch forest near the bottom. You can easily loop back to the hut via the Wild River and Wildcat River trails. You will not see anyone all day.

Another vote for Dome and Hight. The views on Hight are incredible.

Though the pictures hardly capture the experience, I have a 360° panorama series slideshow HERE.

These pics were from last Thursday (3/1/07). First shot is looking towards Carter Dome, and the series continues clockwise.

sapblatt said:
I have hiked into the hut via the Imp, and CM trail - a real nice day - only about 7 hours for a slow to average hiker with an overnight pack. Hiking in over the Wildcats is another story...

I have gone up CD from the hut and descended into Perkins Notch via the Rainbow Trail - a real nice trail...interesting semi-alpine spot halfway down, and a great birch forest near the bottom. You can easily loop back to the hut via the Wild River and Wildcat River trails. You will not see anyone all day.

yes! yes! yes! hiking over the wilcats kicks your butt but its a super fun trail!
and the rainbow trail is really sweet. we descended it after carterdome and hight and loved it, saw sunset through the birch glades and returned to the hut after dark.

climbing aroung the ramparts is like being a kid again, sooo much fun.

have fun there, its a great spot, except its gonna be alot more expensive and busy now in the warmer months with the new full-service status :(

the trip up dome and hight should be done at some point. hight is really wonderful especially when the alpine flowers are in bloom. the wildcat river trail is gorgeous in early june with lots of nice wildflowers and a general lushness. the trip to perkins notch is nice and i would recommend taking it even further down the wild river trail as you can watch the evolution of the river from boggy swamp to its full glory. the black angel trail is a beautiful and often overlooked trail. it's about a 16 mile loop from the hut, to black angel up to the ridge and back down to the hut. from the ridge junction hight or dome are within a few tenths. the wild river valley in general is worth exploring. just watch out as sections of the wild river trail are very muddy especially in the spring. i've gone in thigh deep before.
also check out the ice caves near the hut (ask the caretaker to point out the herd path headed that way). nice brook trout in the lakes as well if that's your thing.

bryan