Cave Dog Here

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cave Dog said:
I do not want to trivialize my generalizations. Everyone’s situation is different. There can be real obstacles to anyone’s dreams. They probably would not be dreams otherwise. Spouse, kids, parents, pets, school, disability, money, the obstacles can be many at times. The point is that those obstacles, in most cases, are not as big as they seem at the time. I really believe that, within reason, if there is a will there is a way. Sometimes it takes juggling. Sometimes it takes sacrifices, but the rewards are worth it. So, get out there and start writing that book or find the resources and time to take that trip around the world or start googling your old forgotten buddies or just get out and hike. Live life like you mean it, live life with meaning.

Cave Dog said:
The reason I tell this story is that differences of opinion should not be surprising. They should be expected, appreciated, and enjoyed. If there were no differences in opinion, we could not learn from each other. My opinions are never final, and I hope they never will be.

Hey Cave Dog! First, congratulations on completing the challenge! Your visits to the Brown dorms made me proud to be a Brunonian--even though had I been in your shoes, visiting my old dorms would have added some distance.

Second, I just wanted to say that I really appreciated what you wrote in your previous post, especially what I quoted above. In my opinion (;)), that's great advice, and you expressed something I often think about very well.

Finally, I want to thank you for a piece of advice you gave my boyfriend (Bruno on VFTT) in an email years ago (he emailed you and you wrote back). You told him that darker pieces of wood are far more likely to be slippery...I still think about that ever time I spot what looks like a sturdy root or branch on the ground while hiking. I wish I could say I avoided all those steps, but it's only by stepping on that occasional dark patch and slipping that I prove how true the maxim is. Plus it's a good way to improve my balance. :D

Cave Dog - you can imbed images under 100k, or preferrably you can link to images on your site. I prefer it if people link to pictures on other servers because that greatly reduces the demand on my server and keeps the site running faster.

To link to a picture, click on the icon that looks like a globe with a bike chain in front of it (the globe is the world, as in world wide web, and the chain sybolizes the link). It is right above the text area you use when you make a post. Click on the link button and then you type the text that you want highlighted as a link and then you enter the address (URL) that the picture is at.

For example, this is a link to a picture of you and me at Marcy Dam about 3 years ago.

User CP stands for User Control Panel. You can go to your User Control Panel to make changes to your personal set up here on the site. The User CP link is on the upper left of every forum page. In the User CP, you can set things like an avatar (the picture by your name on the left side of the posts), see your recent user reputation comments, change your password, check your private messages (PMs), etc.

And yes, dark wood is slippery wood. That hold VERY true for mountain biking as well. :)

- darren

Cave Dog said:
Spouse, kids, parents, pets, school, disability, money, the obstacles can be many at times.
Cave Dog
If one's wife and kids represent an "obstacle" then something is out of kilter in one's life more than a small amount.

Cavedog, don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of yours and a fellow dreamer too. Far be it for me to rain on anyone's parade. In fact, if I wasn't a very lucky family man I'd be an awesome hiking force in my own right. But, it would be a sad day indeed were I to cast my glance upon my loved ones and in my mind's eye, see the word, "obstacle" stamped upon them.

Awesome Accomplishment

CaveDog. I'd like to congratulate you on your latest Adventure. You've brought a lot of attention to the Outdoors. And made a difference in a lot of peoples lives.

Keep it going !!! :)

Family as obstacles

Spoken like a single guy! Spoken like some married guys too. (Not me, though.) In truth, Cave Dog's point about the "tone" that gets lost in many posts applies here. That part of his interesting ruminations shouldn't be taken out of context - he isn't callous and self-centered.

The essence of his message - the necessity to live life as if it's important - seems to me undeniable. For many, that means summoning up the energy to put down the remote control and get off the sofa. That's probably not a concern for many on this board, I would think.

Furry-We were lucky that when we were on the Kalalau Trail the guava was just at its peak ripeness. We were having so much fun that we let time get away from us. With the longer day, we ran out of food. No worries, all we had to do was grab a guava that hung into the trail. It was so romantic. However, after half a dozen guava, beware of the sugar high.

Eddie70-Always a pleasure to meet a fellow Brunonian, even better on the trail.

Darren-thanks for taking the time to advise and explain to an amateur. I am sure that these explanations must get old for you after awhile. Maybe I will just make the picture my avatar. I am experimenting with my poor knowledge of how bulletin boards work. If the avatar is too small, here is a temporary link to the photo on The Dog Team’s website: http://www.thedogteam.com/Fungus_Message.html. Eventually we will have all the photos up, and its permanent home will be with the Vermont photos.

This is a picture of me with Drew’s fungal message. I am not into breaking off fungi, but there was a nearby downed tree that had broken off some fungi from the impact of the fall. So, I picked up one of the broken fungi and left a return message.

I enjoyed the Marcy Dam photo, thanks. That was a fun day, but I was still tired from my Catskills adventures the week before. It was at that event that I realized how fun the VFTT members are. We should do it again some time. Maybe you should plan a volcano hike in Oregon, after the Na Pali Coast, of course.

Neil-point well taken. Those that see their spouses, kids, parents, or pets as “obstacles” are in a very difficult spot. I might have been a bit clumsy in my word choices, but I think that I got the point across. I am sure that with some exploration, I could have discovered a better one.

That being said, I have met people that have gotten into situations where their love ones are seen as obstacles to their dreams. It is extremely disheartening to see. For most people, it is much more complicated than that. For example, a dream of mine is to visit all 370 plus National Park sites. In my travels, I have bumped into 145 of them so far. Unfortunately, I have not added to my goal in some time. In fact, sometimes I complete forget that this used to be a dream of mine. I have gotten wrapped up in these challenges, which have been fantastic. But also, my girlfriend does not want me living out of my car anymore, and she wants me to find financial stability. I was ready to live under a roof again, so that is no big deal. I am not as concerned about finances as she is, but I understand her reasoning and have started at working toward that end. Now is that a bad thing? No. She is certainly not an obstacle, quite the opposite. She has opened up my life to entirely different and rewarding possibilities. If I ever got around to letting her know that seeing all of these sites was important to me. I am sure she would want to see them with me. Besides, the National Park sites are not going anywhere and my evolving priorities….

Oh no, now look at what I have done. Will you ever forgive me? I have married “dreams” with “obstacles” into “evolving priorities”. I have deadened my argument, taken passion out of my words, and I am the lesser for it. After all, where would life be without passion? No, I think I had better stick with “obstacles” for now. It might be crude and simplistic and not fit with the above situation, but in its stark way, it gets the point across.

Upon rereading the last bit, I realized that it could be taken as being sarcastic. I do not mean it that way. I am just trying to have some fun with the thread and lighten up my sometimes overly serious posts.

Amicus-You are right. Talking about living life to the fullest here is probably preaching to the choir. So much so that saying it here may seem condescending. If it does, forgive me.

Live Large and Prosper,

Cave Dog

Cave Dog said:
After all, where would life be without passion?

Live Large and Prosper,

Cave Dog
Your thoughtful and exuberant prose is fascinating, and a wonderful change-of-pace from the usual bland BBS blather that the rest of us post.

Cave Dog said:
I hope that everyone enjoys our show, “Live Your Passion”, which airs today at 5:30 pm EST (2:30 pm for those of us on the West Coast) on the Outdoor Life Network (OLN).

Congratulations on meeting your goal! I share your views on living life to the fullest. For me I call it my "Colorado Epiphany".

Do you know if OLN Canada will be picking up the show? I know I'd watch more OLN if it had shows like yours instead of the Bowflex infomercials!

-Shayne

OLN-Second Episode-today-5:30 pm

Pilgrim-What does BBS stand for? My best guess is “Bulletin Boards”, but I have come up with some other entertaining options.

Spaddock-I do not believe that OLN Canada does offer the show. Just one more reason to email OLN to let them know that you heard that the show was good and you want to be able to see it in Canada.

Today at 5:30 pm (2:30 pm for those of us on the West Coast) is the second episode of the documentary, “Live Your Passion” on OLN. We hope that you like the show. We sure had a great time filming it. If you do, be sure to shoot off a quick email to OLN and Duofold telling them that you enjoyed it and want more. Nothing is more likely to help us get another crack at this. So, set your VCRs, DVRs, or TIVOs and enjoy the show.

Give The Dog Team an email about the show as well. I am sure that the team would love to hear from you: [email protected].

OLN’s feedback email is: [email protected]
Duofold’s can be found at: http://www.duofold.com/contactUs.asp

Cave Dog said:
Pilgrim-What does BBS stand for? My best guess is “Bulletin Boards”, but I have come up with some other entertaining options.
In this context, your guess is essentially correct. I can think of some other "entertaining options" also.

waiting for recording

I have to wait to see the programs till a friend sends me the recordings, but I plan to email OLN. We want to see MORE about hikers. Always!

Cave Dog said:
Today at 5:30 pm (2:30 pm for those of us on the West Coast) is the second episode of the documentary, “Live Your Passion” on OLN. We hope that you like the show. We sure had a great time filming it. If you do, be sure to shoot off a quick email to OLN and Duofold telling them that you enjoyed it and want more. Nothing is more likely to help us get another crack at this. So, set your VCRs, DVRs, or TIVOs and enjoy the show.
Give The Dog Team an email about the show as well. I am sure that the team would love to hear from you: [email protected].
OLN’s feedback email is: [email protected]
Duofold’s can be found at: http://www.duofold.com/contactUs.asp
Cave Dog - It's too bad that they are repeating shows, rather than providing more original content. Do I read you correctly that there is still a possibility that would expand the shows, or is it too late for that? I'll get an email off to them.
And BTW - even though the weather didn't exactly cooperate so that you could do the original hike for the grand finale, at least it wasn't -24, like it was in Lake Placid this a.m.! A balmy -1 at my house!

Your new avatar - Under Dog, Crag Dog and Sea Dog with you? Mine is the pic Rad Dog took after the tree tried to fall on me.

Solstice Dog

Cave Dog said:
The Sikes-These challenges are really not about speed hiking. They are about living your dreams, whatever they may be. They may be writing that book or taking that trip around the world, or even, just going out and visiting your old buddies that you lost touch with years ago. We all have dreams, big and small. However, the vast majority of people tend to get stuck into the routine of life. Wake up, eat, shower, drive to work, work, drive home, eat, watch TV, sleep, wake up, eat….If that is your dream, great. However, for most people it is not. Yet, somewhere along the way that ends up becoming the vast majority of our lives and dreams fade.

These words are very true. I try to always keep this at the front of my mind (it's aweful cluttered though! :D).

It's true that most people fall into the routine of "daily life". In fact, this is what makes each of our hikes so amazing. We are breaking form and doing something quite different from what the majority of people are doing. We are pursuing a goal.
Goals don't need to be epic or even hard. They just need to be.

Thank you, Cave Dog for providing so many people with inspiration. Your ability to inspire and motivate as you pursue your goals is more of an accomplishment in my mind than anything that you've pushed your body to do. Congradulations. Way to go! Good job!!

As for the rest of us, I would just like to say that although we may not drop everything and pour all of our efforts into searching for the Foutain of Youth or completeing the Peaks of the Universe list, we can still live our dreams, even if it's just on the weekends or just one week a year. There is no shame is working a steady job, having a family, or establishing some stability in your life. These can be noble goals in and of themselves. Having balance and harmony in all things is the key. With the exciting, you need the calm. With the adventurous, you need the routine.

It is only by going without that one can truly appreciate having. Remember this and you will know how fortunate you really are.

<the curbside Zen master bows and steps off of his soapbox>

Just watched the second episode. Great show to say the least. Can't wait to see the last episode that include "our" daks. As others have mentioned, it would be great to see ALL the film that was shot. The pace the group kept just blows this old fat guy away!! Off to write e mails to OLN, Duofold and The Dog Team. Congrats once again. slamdog

Just watched the second episode and it went way too quick! I'd say wow, I didn't know Idaho (just replace with a state) had that and wham, it was gone! So... I sent both Duofold and OLN messages that I want to see MORE footage!

Really looking forward to the northeast footage. Cavedog, not only are you amazingly fit and I admire that, but, by gosh, to see all that land is awesome. You must have felt incredible when you finished. I think I would have walked around with a permanent smile on my face for a long, long time.

Episode 2

Cave Dog -
Very well done. Under Dog has a great eye. But if next week is the final episode - I'm anticipating motion sickness if there are 20 hikes to cover and only one-half hour for it.
I was amazed to see the endless dunes in Colorado. I had no idea. Must be tough to hike on.

What was the reason for the dehydration you experienced in Texas and afterwards?
Was it just the heat and humidty and the long miles?
Were you drinking only water?
Did you run out of fluids?
Did you weigh yourself before and after every hike to monitor the situation?
Have your kidneys recovered?
Were you ever on the edge of not completing a hike?
Are you worried that you are doing any long-term damage to your body?

I know you come from a family of doctors, and they watch out for you, but that doesn't mean you are invincible. :D

Beverly-The footage has already been taken; so, there is always an opportunity to expand the shows. For every clip that you see on the TV, there is 85 times as much footage on the floor of the cutting room. So, the footage is there. It is just a matter of reediting it and deciding what format it should have. Certainly, there is expense to reediting; however, the large outlay has already been made to run the event and film it. That being said, it will not be reedited unless OLN feels it was successful enough to open up more programming for it and Duofold feels it was successful enough to cover the editing. I certainly hope that more of the footage is used, but I am not a player in that decision. I was there and know that there is so much more. Oklahoma was absolutely amazing and it got 23 seconds. There was not enough time to show the armadillos of Louisiana, nor the badlands of North Dakota. There was not even enough time to really discuss the impact Bob Marshall had in preserving our wild lands. I would love to dedicate an entire show to just telling his story. That being said, I could not bring myself to take anything out in order to expand elsewhere. I love the show. I think that the editors did an amazing job considering the timeframe. It holds its own on its merits. I would just love to share more of the experience. So, I am hoping that OLN and Duofold will get the message that there are lots of people that would enjoy seeing more.

Your avatar brings back a memorable moment for me on the last hike. Years ago, Sea Dog once had a large tree fall on his tent at night during a sea kayaking trip. It was a two person tent and the tree fell on the empty side of the tent. He remained unscathed, but they had to cut him out of the tent. I was not there. So, I have heard the stories, but until your near mishap, I had never been in a situation where someone was nearly crushed by a falling tree. It was crazy, to say the least. I wonder if others have been in similar situations?

Double Bow-I appreciate your words. I sometimes wish that it was more customary in our culture to be reflective. I wish that we thought more about how our actions fit within the larger community and a larger time scale. I also wish that people more often talked about their own impact on others and our environment. If we did, I feel that many of the crises of today would wither, and our society would be structured with more forethought.

Slamdog-It was great to finish in the Adirondacks. In fact, I fought hard to make the New York hike the last hike. I felt it was so meaningful to finish on a route planned by Bob Marshall, that is so beautiful, and that has the epic feel of adventure. I also wanted to finish in a place that has so much meaning to me. I love the Adirondacks. I have been in the Adirondacks every year since I first discovered them in 2001, except last year. I would have enjoyed the Adirondacks last year once more had it not been for a leg injury. I am trying to figure out an excuse to get me back again next year. The Adirondacks are so full of life. The lakes, rivers, trees, wildflowers, cliffs, slides, and heritage all mix together for such a varied and beautiful area.

BorealChickadee-It was such a satisfying finish. I started the adventure with family and friends and finished with friends and family. I had such an amazing time during the challenge; yet, the finish seemed to be at the proper time. I would have loved to have kept right on going; yet, it felt natural to be home again. I think that is the perfect time to stop: when you still have the thirst for more; yet the adventure has closure. I was also very excited that the Marshall family was so supportive during the challenge, and came in person to show their support.

Beverly-The dunes of Colorado are incredible. Who would have ever dreamed that Colorado of all places is the home of one of the best dunes in the Americas. In fact, when crossing the dunes of Colorado, one feels a bit like you are in the Sahara, minus the heat. Every dune is different. They cast such flowing, graceful shadows. All the while, you have fourteen thousand foot peaks looking down on you, like gentle giants.

I am glad to get that footage of Colorado that we did because Under Dog had not intended to go through the dunes. He felt it was going to be too hard. There was some miscommunication and he thought that he was going to be picked up when there was no such plans. Not only did he end up crossing the dunes, but he did not bring water for such a long distance. So, we had to share my meager amount of water.

When we got to the southern edge of the dunes, he wanted to cut straight for the Duofold RV at the Visitor Center. I was a bit apprehensive of him venturing out alone, off trail, after dark, without a map or compass, no radio, and no water. But, he assured me that he was fine. He just needed to go about 1.5 miles due east or towards the mountains, before he hit a road, or better yet, the Visitor Center. This plan took off about a half a dozen miles of off trail hiking from my planned course. So, I gave him my spare headlamp, and he took off. Just moments later, he yelled back that he could see the lights of the Visitors Center and would be fine. I proceeded several miles south to the southern edge of the monument and turned east. As soon as I turned, I realized that he had made a mistake. The only lights visible were miles out of his way. It was still several miles of sand before I reached the lights and the road. I had kept in satellite phone communication with the crew, and knew that Under Dog had never showed up. So, we devised a search plan. We knew that he would eventually come across the road because the mountains were the undeniable landmark that he was heading for, and the road ran all along the base of the mountains. So, the Duofold RV headed south and I headed north by foot. It was only about ten minutes later that I saw my spare headlamp shining from ahead. I came up running with water in hand. Under dog was very pleased to see me. Soon the crew picked up Under Dog, and I headed out to finish my last couple miles.
Since we are on the topic of dehydration, let me move to your question about my water problems in Texas. I was in Big Bend National Park doing the Outer Mountain Loop. This loop climbs into the Chisos Mountains, then descends, spending the bulk of the route on primitive desert trails circumnavigating the mountains. This was not quite enough mileage; so, I did a beautiful side trip to the top of the highpoint in the park, Emory Peak. I had anticipated needing more water for this hot hike, but I had no idea. I drank six and a half liters of water and still got severely dehydrated. Part of what increased my difficulties was the fact that the trails were completely overgrown. The nature of competition in the desert is such that seemingly every piece of vegetation in the trail has a thorn, spike, bur, or blade. So, I had to wear thick pants even though it was excruciatingly hot. I drank all night and was in Oklahoma the next day for another hot hike. I was not able to catch up. I drank four and half gallons of water and did not urinate for two days. I did not think that was possible. It was completely draining. Fortunately, the next day was in Kansas with a cold front and wind. I finally caught up. By the end of the day, I was urinating clear.
To answer your remaining questions: I was only drinking water. I rationed my water and so did not run out. I did not weigh myself before and afterwards. We were worried that if this situation kept up that my kidneys would start to have problems. Fortunately, it did not come to that.
The only hike that I was really on the edge of not getting 50 kilometers (31.1 miles) completed within the selfimposed 24 hour cutoff was the Adirondack hike. We started the hike at 9:06 am on 11/28/5 and finished at 9:04 am on 11/29/5. It was planned that I would finish near the cutoff. I just did not figure it would be quite so close. In fact, I went to bed with just two miles left. We planned this so that it would make it easier for people to be at the finish. If I finished at five in the morning, it probably would have just been The Dog Team at the finish. I always had an out, though. If I had finished a few minutes after 9:06, I could have taken off running until 50km was achieved in 24 hours and not counted the beginning of the hike. It did not matter which 24 hours was counted as long as 50km was hiked within that timeframe. However, that would have been messy; so, I am glad that the timing worked out. I also may not have finished in less than 75 days. The final time was around 74 days, 23 hours. I did not keep track of the minutes because I did not find it important to the nature of this kind of challenge, which was not about speed. It was about the incredible scenery that we found along the way and had an opportunity to share with others. That being said, it would not be hard to figure out the minutes, if anyone was interested?
Certainly, the speed challenges are hard on the body. I did not feel that this last challenge was hard on my body. It just was not at the same level of intensity, at all. If it had been, we would not have spent several hour each morning filming. I would not have taken so many pictures. We would not have invited people to hike with me, and then go at their pace. That was just not what this challenge was about, and because of this, I did not need any recovery period, with possibly the exception of regaining my normal body weight. Sugar Dog took it upon herself to take charge of this and I might add that she if very good at it. I gained back the weight in just a few days under her care. In fact, I have had to be cautious that she does not overdo it. This is something that I have read about a number of times. When people are in an extended period of starvation, their body seems to get very efficient at using every last bit of calories out of their food. So, it is a tendency for people to get overweight after the food is plentiful.

My usual weight is between 160 and 165. It feels that maybe 165 is bordering on a bit too much for me. I find this fascinating. Before I started training for challenges, my normal body weight was between 150 and 155. During the Colorado Fourteeners challenge, I got down to 140 pounds. It was when I started training for the Adirondacks that my weight started creeping up to 160. During the most recent challenge, I got down to 151 and looked famished. It is undeniable, I was undernourished, and that used to be my normal every day body weight.

Getting back to the speed records, they are hard on the body. However, I feel that I have not done anything to cause permanent damage to my body. Usually, it takes me about three days for the pain to go away and by a week I am starting to hike and jog again. I feel that this tells volumes about the success of my training and how I go about these challenges. I do not have any aches or pains, and feel like I am healthy and fit.

There are a couple exceptions to the above paragraph. I do feel that I pushed it a bit too hard without food or water during the first Long Trail attempt and was on the border of such on the second attempt. I have already explained that situation in detail on this bulletin board. So, I do not feel it is appropriate to go into it again here, unless people have specific questions. You can read my account on The Dog Team website: http://www.thedogteam.com/Long_Trail-Web_Pages/The_Long_Trail/Descending_into_the_Maelstrom.pdf.

The other exception is with sleep deprivation. I feel that I have pushed this envelope enough. I really do not desire to do another challenge that would continue to push sleep deprivation. I would rather do challenges like this most recent one. There was some sleep deprivation, but it was not nearly to the level of the speed records. I would rather do firsts. They do not require sleep deprivation or speed, they just require finishing. They are also the only record than can never be broken. If I do another speed record, I would probably run more and sleep more.

I do feel that it is important to push one’s limits to find your place in the world, understand your own limitations, and understand others that find themselves in difficult situations. That is why I spent ten years leaving out of my car traveling around looking for new experiences of most all types. Some of those experiences were of the nature of pushing some sort of personal envelope. I have been in environments that were extremely hot, and others that were cold. I had days without water, food, and sleep. I have experienced the nadir of exhaustion. I have explored the depths of poverty. And, I wanted to know what it would be like to be on the bottom echelon of society and forgotten. I have learned much and have much more to learn.

To get back to the challenges, these challenges have been part of this personal exploration. I want to state very clearly that I have no interest in getting myself hurt, or worse, killed. These challenges are extreme events. They have real hazards. Yet, I feel that, for the most part, I have done them in a health manner and have grown from each one of them. I have learned an incredible amount about the body and mind, society, and the environment: the impact of diet, sleep, exercise, stress, and many other factors that affect a person's health; the differences various environments have in weather, terrain, wildlife, and culture; the way people respond to extraordinary feats, outsiders, and paradigm shifts; the limitations people place on themselves, strangers, and society; the impact intense exercise has on a person's body, such as musculoskeletal memory, capillarization, and glycogen storage. The list is seemingly unending.

Live the Dream,

Cave Dog