Cave Dog Here

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cave Dog,
Have you considered writing a book, or books, about your adventures?

Thanks for the thoughtful answers

And thanks for posting the "Maelstrom". I would encourage people to read this. Cave Dog - it was 2003 when you posted this on the Dog Team website. I read it and was profoundly touched by it, leading me to email you and volunteer to join the team for the "do-over" of the Long Trail last year. It was almost a repeat of the Maelstrom at the end, as you insisted that Night Dog and I bring the end of the trail to you, and you didn't believe us when we told you how far you had to go. You repeatedly asked how far it was, what it looked like at the end, and how long it would take, desperately trying to glean some piece of information that would give you the wherewithal to push on. But then a couple of hours after the finish, you rebounded remarkably. Go figure.

I'm glad to hear that you're no worse for wear after all your adventures.

Reminds me of a scene from a movie:
Bear Claw Chris Lapp: You've come far pilgrim.
Jeremiah Johnson: Feels like far.
Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Were it worth the trouble?
Jeremiah Johnson: What trouble?

Rik-I have considered writing a book. Do you think anyone would read it?

Beverly-Yes, the last mile of the Long Trail challenge was tortuous. I realized that my greatest need was for sleep, which was being accentuated by my taking less time to eat and drink because I was pushing for the finish. It is ironic that had I just stopped pushing so hard, I would have finished sooner. Once I got a couple hours of sleep, I was oriented again.

Well, the third episode of “Live Your Passion” is tomorrow. Here is the full schedule for those of you that missed the first two episodes:

Wednesday, December 21st, 2:30 PM PST (5:30 EST) - third episode

Tuesday, December 27th, 1:00 PM PST (4:00 EST) - first episode
Friday, December 30th, 1:30 PM PST (4:30 EST) - second episode
Monday, January 2nd, 12:00 PM PST (3:00 EST) - third episode

Friday, January 6th, 1:30 PM PST (4:30 EST) - first episode
Wednesday, January 11th, 12:30 PM PST (3:30 EST) - second episode
Friday, January 13th, 1:30 PM PST (4:30 EST) - third episode

Tuesday, January 17th, 1:00 PM PST (4:00 EST) - first episode
Tuesday, January 24th, 1:00 PM PST (4:00 EST) - second episode
Tuesday, January 31st, 1:00 PM PST (4:00 EST) - third episode

Hope you enjoy the show.

CD, great stuff. Been away from the site for a couple weeks getting other stuff finished up, so I'm a bit late chiming in. Good to see all the feedback from you and know that things are moving along. I guess I'll be looking for the replays and can't wait.

Come on back to the ADK anytime. Plenty of trails to find out there in all the wilderness.

Out of all the stuff said above in the thread, it's heartening to know how much you value hiking with others.

I would like to add my congratulations to the list.
Thanks for adding the times for the upcoming repeats of the show.
I was annoyed that I had cancelled OLN last month before I heard it was showing on there. At least now I will get another chance to see it.

I just caught the end of the last show, it seemed very well done and is exactly MY kind of TV. I noticed the show on next was about the 2 "odd couple" type guys filming a trip through the national parks, which also makes for better TV than bull riding and Survivor re-runs.
SO, does anyone know how to let OLN know we appreciate the efforts and would like more programming like this ?
I know there are at least a few more members here that should have their own show. I get to semi-retire in about 7 years, if there isn't at least 1 "Friends of VFTT" TV and/or cartoon show being aired by then, I'll take up the cause.

Bad hiker, no OLN

Congrats again to Ted and the Dog Team!

Great to hear that Drew's "Magic Mushroom" was so inspirational :D

I would love to see some of the footage, but only have satellite TV, so no OLN :mad:

If anyone has taped it or recorded it to DVD, I would gladly buy a copy.
Please PM me if you have the goods!

Cave Dog said:
Rik-I have considered writing a book. Do you think anyone would read it?
In a word, beside you, I know of at least one ;)

Sat down to watch episode 3 (hmm, just had a Star Wars flashback), and was immediately called by daughter and a stalled car. I made it through Alabama anyway... caught something about a poke in the eye as I walked out. Thank God I was watching the TiVo! I'll pick up tonight.

Ted: write the book. We'll call Steve Smith to get it :)

Talking about 50K a day...

I'm sure some of you have been following Squeaky's quest of completing the "Triple Crown" in one calendar year :eek: :confused: ;)

Sounds like he should finish today around noon on Springer Mtn...which would have been 240 days(May 4th to today) which would give him an AVERAGE of just over 31 miles per day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How will he "wind" down from this??? :confused:

Cave Dog said:
Certainly, the speed challenges are hard on the body. I did not feel that this last challenge was hard on my body. However, I feel that I have not done anything to cause permanent damage to my body.

After almost 2900 different miles of the NCT, and a lot of other hiking that I don't add up, and a life that I have chosen to live by pushing myself a bit at whatever I do, at age 57 I can say that my knees are probably a little the worse for the wear. Would I go back and change that? Not for a minute! Being so good to your body that your "old age" (whenever that kicks in) lasts a little longer, or is more comfortable, but has no glorious moments to contemplate, is not worth the having.

Go for broke, I say! And Cave Dog, I would read your book too. Anyone can read mine, but I can't post a link here, because it's not allowed (as a commercial site). Search for North Country Cache or Books Leaving Footprints if you are curious.