Cold Killing Carters -- 1/26/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
When I climbed Starr King and Waumbek on Saturday, I found that afterward I was feeling somewhat better and that my cold wasn't as intense. Sunday with not having hiked, I found I was feeling the same as the day before. It got me thinking that maybe hiking was easing my cold symptoms. Since I was all caught up on my freelance work, I figured why not go out on Monday? Maybe it would ease my cold further.

I got a little bit of a later start than I wanted and I arrived at the Nineteen Mile Brook trailhead at 10am. I figured I'd head up the Carter Dome trail and hit South and Middle Carter and once I got back to Zeta Pass, I would determine whether or not I had enough time to hit Carter Dome.

The way in was mostly uneventful, except for running into my friend Jeff coming out from a hut stay with a couple of his friends. We chatted for a bit and then continued on our ways. Going into the hike, I wasn't sure what level I'd be performing at since I wasn't 100% and I haven't been hiking that much lately. Needless to say, I was thrilled to reach the Carter Dome trail an hour into my hike (1.9mi in).

The climb up Carter Dome trail was a little tough, though the trail was well broken. I pressed hard and reached Zeta Pass by noon. From there, the going was easier and I cruised up to South Carter without a hitch. I missed the old sign that used to be there and I took a pic of the semi-view from the summit.

Continuing on, I was thrilled by the amazing views on the way to Middle Carter. I forgot how great they are with a bit of snowpack in winter. It was a great day to be up there, though it was a little cold. Reaching the summit, I was still unsure whether or not I'd have the time to hit Carter Dome, though things were looking good for it.

I hustled back to Zeta Pass and a good, though comfortable clip. I'd scarfed down a s'mores Pop Tart and my energy level was surprisingly good. I made it back to Zeta Pass at 2:45 and decided that I had enough time to hit Carter Dome, though I'd skip Mt Height to conserve daylight.

On the way to Carter Dome, I came across a large school group who, I came to find out, left a trail of postholes in their wake. I tried to smooth them out with my snowshoes while also trying not to injure the ankle that's been giving me some problems. Reaching the summit, it was very windy and cold. I took some more pics, but it was definitely not the day to hang out for a long time up there.

Now I turned back as I'd rather go back down the Carter Dome trail than to drop down to the hut. The way down was swift and easy. I made it back to the Nineteen Mile Brook trail with it still being light out, which made the way out a breeze. I did use my headlamp for the last mile or so and reached my car at 6pm. I felt really good for doing 14.2mi in only 8hrs. So much for the cold and a lack of hiking slowing me down...

I spent the night at Hiker's Paradise with a floor all to myself and treated myself to a big dinner and a pitcher of beer at Crabby Jack's, a perfect ending to a good day out. Then I hit the hay early so I could enjoy a good breakfast before the next day's adventure.

Here are pics. http://good-times.webshots.com/album/569819121zhqBTS?vhost=good-times

Wow! You are really cruising through your Winter 67! Right on, Dude! Gonna be a big par-tay when you finish?

I've only been to the Carters in Winter -- the views of the Presis are great when you are standing on six or seven feet of snow!! :)

Nice TR!

I understand what you mean about hiking perhaps curing cold symptoms. I've had what's felt like the onset of a cold a couple of times in the past few months, but then after a hike the symptoms disappeared. Maybe all that fresh air nips a cold in the bud...?

Wow! You are really cruising through your Winter 67! Right on, Dude! Gonna be a big par-tay when you finish?

Actually, I finished the W48 last winter. This was just for my progress on The Grid. I'm making another attempt at the peaks in the Rangeley-Stratton area President's Day weekend and have a trip to Baxter in March (going for North Brother). After that though I'll be training for the Sugarloaf/USA Marathon so I won't finish my W67 this winter. Still, no reason not to have a party!

Nice report. A good hike sometimes helps my cold symptoms too. I think it helps me "sweat out" the cold.