Doug Paul injured in a back-country ski accident

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI Doug!

I'm so sorry to read of your injuries and hope you heal quickly!! :)

Sincerely,

Hanna

Doug, you have my sympathies on your bc skiing accident. Those are some pretty impressive injuries. You were *already* the most hard-core hiker/climber/skier I know - your newly acquired hardware will only add to the legend.

I wish you a fast and thorough recovery, and would love to hike Walden with you when you're ready to come off the DL.

Susan

Doug,

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but it was looking like you would hve been a shoe-in for the first annual Electrical Engineers GPS Square Dance competition, which combines agility with the ability to quickly read and interpret GPS co-ordinates, which indicate where to place the foot. Oh yeah... And the competition is held in the dark, which necessitates the use of a good head-lamp.

Don't you see how that was just MADE for you?

Pete_Hickey said:
Doug,

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but it was looking like you would hve been a shoe-in for the first annual Electrical Engineers GPS Square Dance competition, which combines agility with the ability to quickly read and interpret GPS co-ordinates, which indicate where to place the foot. Oh yeah... And the competition is held in the dark, which necessitates the use of a good head-lamp.

Don't you see how that was just MADE for you?
Guess I'll have to wait til next year to enter...

Is it IEEE sanctioned?

Doug

DougPaul said:
Electrical Engineers GPS Square Dance competition
Is it IEEE sanctioned?
Does a one legged duck swim in circles?

Not only do they sanction it, but they are sponsoring the band, Willie Wired, and the Low Watts per Lumens. Listen to them, and I can gurantee that your feet'll start tapping.

Pete_Hickey said:
Does a one legged duck swim in circles?

Not only do they sanction it, but they are sponsoring the band, Willie Wired, and the Low Watts per Lumens. Listen to them, and I can gurantee that your feet'll start tapping.
Since I have a certain amount in common with that duck, perhaps only one foot would start tapping...

(Actually, both of my feet are fine. I just couldn't resist Pete's setup...)

Doug

Doug, I have really appreciated your advice on backcountry skiing (as well as other subjects) since joining this site. I just got back from Yosemite on a four day ski and camping trip so just read about your fall tonight. Sorry to hear about your accident and am glad that you are on the road to recovery. All the best and hope you are good as new when all is said and done.
Cheers from California.

TomD said:
Doug, I have really appreciated your advice on backcountry skiing (as well as other subjects) since joining this site. I just got back from Yosemite on a four day ski and camping trip so just read about your fall tonight. Sorry to hear about your accident and am glad that you are on the road to recovery. All the best and hope you are good as new when all is said and done.
Cheers from California.
Tom,

Thanks. Sounds like a nice trip.

I guess this is one of those "do as I say, not as I have done" situations...

Doug

DougPaul said:
It was immediately apparent that my left femur was broken just above the knee.

I think you should be sent to Hawaii and rest with Darren, then both of you can complain to us how bloody hot it is there. :D

Glad your safe, look forward to meeting you on the trail someday!

DougPaul said:
I am asking you all to give me a bit of time before calling and visiting. I'll let you know when.
When.

I think I am now in good enough shape and adequately organized to take calls and visitors. I still have lots of medical appointments and home health care visits to schedule around.

I have placed my phone number in my personal info section--click on my name to find it. Please limit your calls to between 1pm and 8pm. If you wish to visit, call first.

Thanks,

Doug

num num num said:
I think you should be sent to Hawaii and rest with Darren, then both of you can complain to us how bloody hot it is there. :D

Glad your safe, look forward to meeting you on the trail someday!

Actually, after breaking my leg a second time, I am back in Mass since I can not drive. All I can say is this weather stinks and I can't wait to get back to Hawaii!!!!! Hopefully I will be walking again in 2 or 3 weeks and I will return to Hawaii around the end of March. After that, anyone that wants to come hang out is more than welcome. :)

- darren

darren said:
Actually, after breaking my leg a second time, I am back in Mass since I can not drive.
Injuries are the biggest reason (for me) for choosing an automatic transmission. I got a standard, so I guess that I must be an optomist...

Doug

Hey Doug-Paul! I sincerely hope that fibroblasts and osteoblasts migrate en masse to the break sites and quickly lay down osteoid and that the osteoid quickly calcifies.

In other words: get well soon!

Neil said:
Hey Doug-Paul! I sincerely hope that fibroblasts and osteoblasts migrate en masse to the break sites and quickly lay down osteoid and that the osteoid quickly calcifies.

In other words: get well soon!
Thanks, the big question is the furure of the femoral head--30% chance of necrosis due to limited blood supply. It is just wait and see. If it becomes necrotic, then there is a hip replacement in my future.

Doug

Dude - I feel for you. I know what you are going though. With the exception of 3 weeks, I have not used my right leg in 9 months. The body says, "I haen't used it, so I don't need it, so I will get rid of it". I now have "severe" osteoperosis in my right leg. All of the bones have degenerated into swiss cheese. I've gone to Boston and the docs say that I need to do PT and exercise to get the bones to regenerate. The problem is that my fibula is still fractured. So I get to do PT on a fractured leg. The surgeon said "prepare yourself, it is going to hurt like hell, but you have to do it." Usually, doctors say "this won't hurt, just a little prick." Sigh. This doc was right.

I feel for you. The waiting is much worse than the pain.

Best of luck,

- darren

DougPaul said:
Thanks, the big question is the furure of the femoral head--30% chance of necrosis due to limited blood supply. It is just wait and see. If it becomes necrotic, then there is a hip replacement in my future.

Doug
Head, who said Head? ;)

Doug: do what I did. Rest in bed (with friends) and drink plenty of fluids (Doctor) :eek: