Equinox road plowed?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pamola

Reaction score
I've been considering schlepping my skis or board up the Burr/Burton trail and skiing down the access road. Needless to say, this will only work if the road isn't plowed during the winter! Does anyone know if it is?

I don't think they would plow the Burr-Burton trail as that is the trail that FunkyFreddy, me, and Dr Wu hiked up it a few winters ago... I remember the upper portions of that trail is a small trail while the lower portions was a wide road. I don't recall seeing any plowing activity but this was of course, about 3 winters ago and that was the only time I've been there..

You could always call the Equinox Hotel (resort?) that is at the base of the mtn where you'd park.... They should have a definite answer for you..

Jay

After calling the Manchester area chamber of commerce, I have found out that the situation is most likely as MTNRUNR called it: top half unplowed, lower half plowed because of the monastery i found out about only an hour ago. Looking at a map, the road rises to the ridge, where it splits, one route heading toward the summit, one toward the monastery. I doubt it possible that the monks allow themselves to be snowed in during the winter for safety and food reasons but they also don't have the hangups or needs that we do.
It is private property, so any activity on the road in winter would be at your own risk or should be cleared with the clergy!

EDIT: After further examination of the map, there are two parallel roads that rise to the ridge (Bentley Hill Rd & Skyline Drive, both off VT7A), so it is possible, and downright likely, that one remains unplowed. If anyone passes by this area in the near future, keep an eye out for me.

Last edited:
If the top half of Syline Drive is still snowy you can ski down the 2-2.5 miles and cross over to Bentley Hill. This will still be snowy, might be tracked out a little form sleds(farm road). That will take you about .50-.75 of a mile approx. To Bentley Hill. Bentley Hill is Clear and well mantained. I've been seeing logging trucks at the bottom of skyline drive which make me think it might be clear all the way up. I hiked up the BBA trail and just rode my snowboard down the trail. You might also want to check out the access off Witherell Lane which is off Man. West. I believe this goes to the summit and is the road less travelled.

Cheers.
Greg