Fall colors and seasonal change thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattl

Reaction score
All,
Now that we are firmly in a new season and things seem to be progressing quite well with colors this year, can anyone report specific good folliage anywhere on a hike they have been on? This past weeks cold temps have changed about 50% of the maples and birches in the Enfield, NH area. I think the combination of lots of rain this summer, and a dry and cool September has been exactly what they need. Anyone have any good pictures? I imagine along the bogs on the Kanc that the Tamaracks are getting bright yellow and the red maples are really red. Also, moose rutting season should be in full swing in the Whites. What a great time of year!

-Mattl

The eastern slopes of Cannon and the Kinsmans had some wonderful colors getting going as seen from I-93 yesterday.

Does it have to be on a hike? I'm looking out my window at my (now) red maples in the front yard.. :D

I wandered around the north a bit yesterday - not many photos, though, as it was a bit rainy :(

The colors up in Berlin, Dummer and Milan are coming along nicely - lots of firey reds and yellows. The maples are especially impressive. Some areas there getting close to peak but not quite there yet. Errol & Wentworth Location seemed a bit less brilliant - perhaps all the water bodies changes the mix of trees? Was going to head up Aziscohos but it started to pour. Wandered a bit in the Second Grant later on instead - colors about 50% there.

Franconia Notch, Bethlehem and Lincoln / North Woodstock all have some great displays mixed in with solid green. I would guess peak should be around the tail end of next week. However, having the green mixed in with the occasional firey maple is really cool! :D

BTW - my rhododendrons are blooming again - I think someone is confused. :confused:

Ponds in the Sandwich Notch Road area

Recently I've been roaming around the Sandwich Notch area visiting some ponds. Colors are coming along real nice near the water along the Guinea Pond Tr. and Guinea Pond, Kiah Pond, the 3 Hall Ponds (connected by fishermans trails), and Atwood Pond. Still a lot of green around which I think is nice.

I visited Black Mtn. Pond a couple weeks ago before the colors started but I'd imagine that one is looking nice as well, and further along maybe being higher in elevation.

Beautiful area, and the drive out on Lower Hall Pond Road is "interesting." :D Great pond for a kayak, but high-clearance vehicle is very necessary to drive there.

Saw the biggest bull moose I've ever seen in NH at the power line on Sandwich Notch Road yesterday. Nice big rack on him.

Guinea Pond Tr. and pond.

Upper (kayak), Middle, Lower Hall Pond hike

Lower Hall Pond kayak

Last edited:
Colors are really coming into it well in the High Peaks area of the ADK.
Here is one from Snow Mountain, gazing at Round and Noonmark this afternoon:

RoundandNoonmarkfromSnow.jpg

...was in the Zealand area yesterday, one of the first areas to peak in the Whites proper each year. Some areas at peak, some past. All around goreous. Gonna be a great year!

3958571043_87fb09dc92.jpg

It IS going to snow in all of the White Mountains and northern and some central locations above 1000 feet. Expect this to start tomorrow morning in the highest elevations, and move down in elevation to 1000 feet or so Wednesday late or early Thursday. I know this seems early, but Burlington has snow showers possible all the way south to White River Junction. If you are hiking the higher peaks above 3500 feet Thursday and Friday, expect winter conditions.

-Mattl

I did the Tunnel Brook Trail yesterday and the colors are coming along nicely. Maybe a week away from peak? I'm leaving for Pittsburg, NH, on Sunday. I'd think it's going to be very beautiful up there.

Here's a link to a neat little foliage map on visitnh.gov

http://foliage.visitnh.gov.ns1www.silvertech.net/index-flash.html

How I envy you. It should be beautiful on the summit of Mt. Magalloway. Kayaking on any of the three CT Lakes should be equally beautiful. A few beers at the Buck Rub Pub should be a nice way to end your day.

I wish the rain would stop so I could enjoy the colors more!

Franconia, Franconia Notch, Lincoln, and North Woodstock are all vibrant with colors. Kanc Highway is also close to perfect on the low end of either side. Kancamagus Pass is becoming birch sticks as usual. The rain seems to be pushing the season along quickly.

From the top of East Garfield on Monday, the north end of the Pemi looked a bit drab... however, the lower southern end was in full color (beneath the black storm clouds)...

Not sure if you could call these areas "peak", but I always enjoy a bit of green mixed in with the reds and yellows!

Here's a few from today's sunny-to-rainy excursion:

The old staple.... Wildlife Pond (turned the corner and ran into two huge moose here... while I fumbled dumbly for the camera, they easily loped off into the woods):​

View of North Woodstock:​

East Branch Pemi:​

Swift River:

NeoAkela, nice images! Love the view of the Swift River and I know where you were...which makes it more impressive...nice work :)

Thanks, Patrick! All kinds of neat little ledges around that part of the Kanc!

When I ran into those moose at Wildlife Pond, I started thinking - "what would Forestgnome do?" I assume it would not be to stand dumbfounded while the moose wandered away, which was my reaction. I'll have to work on that... :)

Today, I tried to dodge raindrops and snow... a few flurries on Crawford, but nowhere near as much as in the greater heights. Met some folks coming down from George who said it was really snowing hard up there.

I'd say foliage is getting near peak in and north of the notches. Pardon the quality of these as it was fairly dark out today! However, I would absolutely recommend a trip up Mt Crawford to anyone if we get a clear day anytime soon!

IMG_8536(800).jpg

IMG_8469(800).jpg

IMG_8544(800).jpg

Last edited:
excuse the pics?....holy cow, those are great pics!....i'm going to NH for the first time in 5 years next weekend, hope to see some colors....going to Mt Liberty, Lincoln area, will I get lucky? Did I see snow on top of some of those peaks?