Fall colors and seasonal change thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI - The high winds in the last few days knocked out some of the colors in the Northern Presis, its still looking great in the valleys and lower ridges but the trees are starting to be a bit ragged up high. Another week and it will be time to clean the waterbars!

Below is a photo taken from the north shore of Moose Pond looking southward toward Third Sister. This miniature pond is located nearly due south of the Rocky Gorge Scenic Area on the Kanc, and is nearly due north of Mt. Chocorua. It requires a bushwhack to access it.

P1010460.JPG

I've been stuck indoors all fall. I highly recommend that you all avoid being infected with ehrlichiosis.

I did manage to hobble out and do some shooting near home today. First time since July.

IMG_7461.jpg

The color is just picking up here in CT, so I think I'll just grit my teeth and see what I can get out of the rest of the season.

A few from Little Jackson this past Thursday (10/8). The overcast sky muted the colors a bit... I also think western Maine is a little past peak.

Mountain View Cemetery:
7325_1218035220940_1530671987_587355_7365408_n.jpg

Webb Lake:
7325_1218034980934_1530671987_587350_6392485_n.jpg

Tumbledown Mountain:
7325_1218035060936_1530671987_587352_8054174_n.jpg

Is that in the vicinity of Evans Notch?

The scene looks really familiar to me, but I've never been near Tumbledown.

No, it's not near Evans Notch. It's actually about a mile or two from the Little Jackson Trailhead (Little Jackson is the mountain in the background). The nearest town is Weld, Maine. It's certainly a picturesque spot.

No, it's not near Evans Notch. It's actually about a mile or two from the Little Jackson Trailhead (Little Jackson is the mountain in the background). The nearest town is Weld, Maine. It's certainly a picturesque spot.
Ah.

Well, it's a nice place. I wouldn't mind being buried there. :p

I did manage to hobble out and do some shooting near home today. ...
IMG_7461.jpg
Great image. Very nicely captured. Those swirls are wonderful.

What stream is it? Something near the Shepaug maybe?

The stream and cascades remind me very much of the Peterskill in the Shawangunks. That is perhaps appropriate as the Gunks are made of cast off Taconic sand.

Great image. Very nicely captured. Those swirls are wonderful.
Thanks. It really made me wish I had an ND for my wide lens, though. I had to stop down to f/16 for a slow enough shutter speed, and the lens starts getting a little soft around that point.

What stream is it? Something near the Shepaug maybe?
No, but not too far. It's a spot on what I believe is simply called "Mountain Brook." I think it's fed by the Barkhamstead Reservoir. It's located in one of the chunks of state forest just east of it.

The stream and cascades remind me very much of the Peterskill in the Shawangunks. That is perhaps appropriate as the Gunks are made of cast off Taconic sand.
I keep meaning to get out to the Gunks, but I always get distracted by what's on this side of the Hudson. :p

It's getting a little late in the Whites, and Friday's rain didn't help. This is Zealand Notch yesterday before the sun broke out:

562500.jpg

And so is this:
562501.jpg

The sun came out eventually, but my views were toward north-facing slopes that were mostly bare:
562509.jpg

Taconic, is that a tick born infection?? Beauty shot of the 'frozen' swirling water.
Thanks. Honestly, I never expected that shot to turn out well. I took it on a whim as I was leaving, but sometimes those are the best shots. :p

But yeah, it's tick-borne. Fairly similar to lyme, but not as well understood (or so I'm told.) I'm going into week 7 of antibiotics and I'm still symptomatic.

Golden Days

Here is the view from Haystack (ADK) yesterday. The warm colors belie the frigid temps on the summit!:
HaystackPan.jpg

A few pics...

Great pictures in this thread...
Especially enjoyed Taconic's and Tim's recent shots!

I'll add two of mine from the Kank Sunday...
4005561118_5c369f2570.jpg

and...

4001272095_ae1d4d3f1e.jpg

Also...if you didn't see the trip report for it...this is Chocorua at sunrise from North Moat Mountain this past weekend!

4005767103_766cee0d5d.jpg