Fall colors and seasonal change thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bagley Pd

Short walk behind the house yesterday.

PA120005.jpg

PA120209a.jpg

Tim, really nice pano! Excellent exposure and comopsition!

Jim, nice view of Chocorua. You really do put alot into your craft. You must have done an overnight to be on North Moat at sunrise. Kudos!

I went on a photo tour of some new areas this morning, around the towns of Milford, Wilton, Lydeborough and Hillsborough, NH. I've not really toured these areas, but they are quintessential New England Villages, surrounded by rolling hills and marked with a steepled church and meeting house.

I focused on streams, as that's what the light dictated...and we found some nice waterfalls.

I was particularly interested in the last shot, the stone arch bridge. More than a century and a half old...it stands up to traffic today with no mortar, just craftsmanship!

Any Favorites????

Tucker Brook Falls, Milford
4023426780_40823bcca5_o.jpg

4022938257_c34c244686_o.jpg

4023696540_7a87129b2e_o.jpg

Senter Falls, Lydeborough
4023696584_dc1a38b4e2_o.jpg

4023696824_a76f588b0d_o.jpg

Stone Arch Bridge, Hillsborough
4022938131_882ca78f8e_o.jpg

Any favorites? Wow - they are all incredible shots! Guess the second one would be at the top of my list - I cannot resist the huge contrasts of clear water, dark wet rocks, and bright fallen leaves... waterfall shots don't get any better than that!

I have not had time to sort through my Catskill photos yet from earlier in the month. Here are a few more recent photos from the Hudson Valley of New York which is just now reaching peak foliage.

A cliff side hanging garden in the Peterskill rock climbing area of Minnewaska State Park on the Shawangunk Ridge, west of New Paltz, NY.

Fading New York ferns (Thelypteris noveboracensis), Bullwheel Trail, Minnewaska State Park, NY.

Autumn foliage reflections in the cascades of the Rondout Creek below High Falls, NY:

Mark, very impressive, especially the water shots. What shutter speed were they? Were you using a tripod?
All 4 photos were exposed using a tripod. The tripod is something which I have increasingly viewed as a necessity on most hikes as it greatly extends one's ability to obtain good photos in a wide range of lighting conditions. For waterfalls it is perhaps most essential.

The exposures of the two cascade photos:
  • First/vertical image: 1/8 second, f/8, ISO 100, (+1.3 stop exposure bias), Canon 90mm tilt-shift lens with 1.4X Tamron teleconverter
  • Second/horizontal image: 1/20 second, f/11, ISO 800, (0 stop exposure bias), Canon 90mm tilt-shift lens with 2x Canon L teleconverter
The 90mm lens has an 35mm camera equivalent focal length of 144mm on my Canon XTi. With the 1.4X teleconverter it becomes about 202mm, and with the 2X teleconverter it becomes a 288mm. Within a couple of days I will open up another thread on the finer points of obtaining color reflections in cascades. While a lens with a tilt feature greatly assists in maximizing depth of field in such water reflection photos, the ability to obtain color reflections within a cascade can also be achieved with standard lenses.

Last edited:
Shown in the photo below is a little fella who was out enjoying an autumn slither through the leaves on a trail in the Evans Notch area on 21-October.
P1010710.JPG

Last edited:
Late to the Party!

First off I would like to say that there are some truly excellent images to be found in this thread. Thanks to everyone who contributed. I'm sorry I'm late to the party, but here's some of mine.

I've got a few pictures I really like that I took around the mountains this October but they're already posted in my trip reports. Some of my favorites I've taken this season I took right outside my own door. We've been blessed with our home on the Powow River in southeast NH and I'd like to share a few shots from here:

01october09.jpg

October 2nd

02october09.jpg

October 6th

04october09.jpg

October 6th

31aoctober09.jpg

October 11th

38aoctober09.jpg

October 11th

42aoctober09.jpg

October 11th