Foliage prospects

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonrock

Reaction score
Any ideas what to expect this year, and when (looks pretty green right now) ?

Based on the archived reports I reviewed from 1999-2007, the central Adirondacks were peaking at times ranging from Oct 8 to Oct 20th, the mean being around October 14th. The rest of upstate NY lagged by a surprisingly short interval (3-4 days).
Still, that seems a bit later than I would have expected. Back in 2005, I saw some color near Lower Works as early as mid September - though that was an atypical year.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1501329064080703265IFGOLW

MR

I just returned to MA today from hiking Algonquin and Wright. Colors are close to, if not at peak around the high peaks.

This weekend in the ADKs, not peak but I'm guessing it will be very soon. Bright red chunks of maples were certainly exposed and waves of yellow beeches and stuff were evident but some spots in the lower valleys were still mostly green. On Whiteface looking north of lake placid, huge waves of bright reds were really spectacular.... Fantastic with the undercast moving around.

Sunday, we did Noonmark but with a 3500'ish cloud layer, the summit was fogged in. However, looking down Keene valley from the lower slabs on Noonmark, you could see fantastic colorings on Hedgehog and the Wolfjaw bases (the summits was clouded).

Jay