Fr 192

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAMTERO

Reaction score
Anybody know anything about this Fire Road? It used to start off of the Zealand TH. It had two arms, A and B that made a loop crossing the A-Z trail.

All I know is that it used to be or is a snowmachine trail...only did A-Z trail one time from Zealand Trail and in reading the WMG that was the info in it...it seemed to be pretty overgrown at least where it crosses and recrossed the A-Z trail....

All I know is that it used to be or is a snowmachine trail...only did A-Z trail one time from Zealand Trail and in reading the WMG that was the info in it...it seemed to be pretty overgrown at least where it crosses and recrossed the A-Z trail....

Thanks, I see that that is in the current WMG as a snowmachine trail.

Thanks, I see that that is in the current WMG as a snowmachine trail.

I can confirm the portion that crosses the A-Z trail is pretty overgrown. No snow machines have been up that trail in a longggg time. I've followed various sections south of the A-Z over the years. It can be hard to follow at times. It has pretty bad drainage if you follow it when it isn't frozen. I expect it would be real hard to follow with snow cover. The woods aren't too bad in there so just follow your compass or GPS and go. I've never been along the FR north of A-Z. but always been curious what it is like north of the A-Z.

Last edited:
I skied past the snowmobile turn-around a couple of years ago, but it was pretty well grown-in, and I never did reach the A-Z trail. But it's a really nice ski run coming back out, with good views of the valley.

When we did Field, West, I was hopping to find some trace of it north of the A-Z trail, but we couldn't find any.

edit : and when our friend did Field, West (in summer) he found out that south of the A-Z trail, it's draininage is pretty bad.

Last edited:
I have a USGS mapping program that was updated at in 1995to include FS fire roads and it shows the location of the 192, 192A and 192B. 192 A and B end around 2700 feet, south of that elevation 192A and 192 B continues on as a dotted line where they loop together south of the A-Z trail. This would imply that the southerly section near A-Z has not been used for at least 18 years which in an regerating forest would lead to some pretty substantial regrowth.

In a previous century I made a loop up the W branch, A-Z Tr to M branch, then down M branch, at that time the roads were perfectly walkable (as was A-Z Tr which may no longer be the case :)

On a different hike, I followed the E branch to near its end (not crossing A-Z) and then bushwhacked the Rosebrook Range to Mt Oscar - no ski area crossings then

You can cross the zealand river [west to east] at the summer trailhead and catch the start of this trail. Pine saplings are 3-4 feet high. There is a nice cascade at the bridge over Mt Field Brook as well as a wooden rack that looked like a something you might use to field dress a deer.

Thanks Guys. I am thinking about a trip up Whitewall and maybe some other peaks in the "Lincoln Woods Scenic Area" in a couple of weeks. I saw the FR and was curious.