Franconia Ridge Walk

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainmain

Reaction score
Planning a trip to the whites in mid August. In Saturday morning (early) out Tuesday early afternoon. Plan on 7 miles a day, excluding Tuesday. How would you approach the ridge and what other routes would you consider?

How Much of the ridge do you want to do?

If you wanted to start at Zealand Hut (after hiking in from the trailhead in the north, which is an easy flat walk), you could backpack over Zealand Mtn, do the Bonds and camp at the tent platforms just off the ridge before Bond, Next day go up Twin, N and S and Galehead and Garfield, stay at Garfield Tentsite. Day three go over Lincoln and Lafayette, camp at Liberty springs and then go out over Liberty and Flume.

If your pockets are deep, them stay at one or more of the huts.

Don't discount the elevation on this route.

Enjoy- and Happy Trails:)

You could take Wilderness trail to Osseo to Franconia ridge over Flume and Liberty the first day and overnight at Liberty Springs Campsite.

Next day would be Franconia ridge over Haystack, Lincoln and Lafayette and then down Greenleaf trail and back down Old Bridal Path.

This would only be two days.

You would have to spot a car

Would you continue onto Garfield ridge?

Mohamed's excellent website has other routes
http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/franconia.html

I'd plan two different routes then choose last minute depending upon weather forecast (might cause a problem if ya want hut reservations though). After all, the ridge is all about the weather. I'd also spot cars - one at Lafayette Place and the other at either Garfield or better yet Zealand.

If the weather is good & reasonably clear, I'd bust straight up to L. Haystack on Falling Waters trail. The "get it while you can" theory. The most glorious path in good weather IMO would be to leave about 3:30-4:00 p.m. and descend to Greenleaf Hut right at dark or just after (full moon is Aug. 2 isn't it, so maybe it could be even a little later). Did something kind of like this a couple of weeks ago and it was really beautiful up there t dusk.

Or, if you leave early enough you can hoof it all the way to the Garfield Ridge campsite or 13 Falls site.

Day two (Sunday) I would go straight to Guyot campsite and stake out a place in the shelter or a tent platform. Maybe hit West Bond for sunset. Or if you're feeling real strong and get an early start (from 13 Falls) you could come up the other way - across Bondcliff.

Day three (Monday) if I did Bondcliff that a.m. I'd only go back over to Galehead Hut for the night. Actually, Zealand would be better since you're wanting to get out at a reasonable hour the next day.

Day Four (Tuesday) I would go out the Garfield path from Galehead or better yet Zealand Road from Z Hut.

I think the thing to keep in kind is Fran. Ridge between N. Lafayette and Haystack is a very weather contingent kind of place. Other than that I would say plan more time than you think you need (you can always linger) and figure out your water sources too (that stuff's heavy). Highlights of your trip should include Garfield, N. & S. Twin and the Bonds, maybe 13 Falls.

If the weather forecast looks better towards the end of your trip you could just reverse the order by going in at Zealand and exiting down Falling Waters to Lafayette Place.

Go slow, be careful & enjoy!

I would suggest not being between Little Haystack & Lafayette between 9:30 - 4:30 on any Saturday between Memorial Day & Halloween unless you want to see between 60 - 150 people in the span of a couple of miles.

Others have mapped the schedule of places to stay pretty well.

If you should decide to stay in one of the Huts, call as soon as possible to check if there is any availability left. Last week, Eric (Tuco) and I reserved at Zealand for late August. The AMC advised that after our reservation, there was only 1 more spot for that particular night. In the past, I used to reserve nearly a year ahead of time, and even then some weekends were already booked up.