greatany places for an early breakfast in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dom15931

Reaction score
Does anybody know of any places that you can get a good breakfast early in the morning, maybe like 5am? I am kinda thinking that somewhere being open this early is unlikely in this area. I will be hiking the Wildcats with a friend Saturday so somewhere in the gorham area is ideal. Any info?

-Dom

Last edited:
You might try Peg's in Woodstock (Rt. 3), although I think it opens at 5:30 (at least it did this summer) and not 5:00 but don't quote me. They do serve a full breakfast, just don't expect anything special. It's the most basic breakfast place I've ever been too, although the blueberry pancakes are pretty good and so is the ham. The omelets leave a lot to be desired.

good luck - if you find one please post here b/c that would be useful info!!

dunkin donuts might be open at 5am - not sure this is what you want but...

I always liked Peg's in North Woodstock. Never tried their omelets so I can't argue about that - I'm a pancake guy. Cheap and good.

I suck with remembering names, but the general store on the corner of Rt. 302 and Bear Notch Road has killer breakfast sandwiches, and good coffee to boot. Not sure exactly when they open, but I remember getting grub there pretty early, like ~6 a.m.

Forget all these other places and listen up because I don't give out this information often. The best breakfast around here is at Munroe's Family Restaurant in greater downtown Twin Mountain (Rt 3). (A couple of Californians told me about it.) I don't know what time they open but get there early because it's always crowded. May not take plastic, not sure.

Kevin Rooney said:
I've eaten at Munroe's a couple of times when it was just too cold to hike.

Too cold to hike? That's not the Kevin Rooney I know....

I've found that the White Mountain Bagel place in Lincoln right opposite the MacDonalds (take that, Ronald!) is pretty damn good for a heart-stopping bacon & egg sandwich on a bagel of your choice. The coffee is adequate (and comes in many flavours if you like that kind of thing), they open at 6am every day of the year and, most importantly, they have a clean toilet, as I am usually burstling by the time I hit Lincoln.

Speaking of which...gotta go. :)

in Gorham there is a place called "The Loaf Around Cafe" it is on exchange street. when you are heading east on rte 2 towards rte 16 it is on your r/h side. if you come to the park you have gone to far. turn around and take your first l. bet you can"t eat the WHOLE thing. :eek:

The previously mentioned Munroe's is without a doubt the best breakfast around, but they don't open early enough. Neither does Bea's Cafe, which has two locations (Conway and Glen), and opens at 6. For an early breakfast, there is only Dunkin' Donuts, with locations in Glen, Gorham, Conway, and N. Conway.

Steve

Last edited:
The people who own "A Fresh Start" in Glen (mentioned above) just opened a second "Fresh Start" (a "fresher start"?) in Albany on Route 16, where the old "Bill's Place" was. I think they are open at 6:00 a.m. Monday through Saturday, and 7:00 a.m. on Sunday.

Burger King tends to open pretty early in most places (6 or earlier), but it may vary from location to location. (e.g. Gorham and North Conway) Not exactly gourmet fare, but I'm usually just looking for a big greasy breakfast that will keep me going well into the afternoon.

Monroe's in Twin Mountain is good (but opens around 7). Don't go overboard in ordering pancakes, though. They are huge.

Reactions: dms
just have to agree with the munroe's crowd!! not open early enough for me but it is a shrine to breakfast!! a veritable shrine i tell ya!! and make sure you pronounce it "MUN-roes"!! :D :) :)

ps--i'm still here ospreya!!!!!! :eek: :)

Tilton Diner just off I-93 in Tilton is great for breakfast but get there before the crowds on busy weekends. They open at 6 AM.

Early eat spot

Isn't there a diner-type resturant down and across form Mikes hiking store on main street Gorham?.heading east on rte 2 towards rte 16 it is on your l/h side. Looks like it would open early...maybe not 5AM.

Last edited:
Amc

The Pinkham Notch Visitors Center has a buffet breakfast that isn't too expensive, starts early, price I'm not sure about, but I know that the food is plentyful and plenty good. Although please don't forget to tip the kitchen croo. They work for beans.

If your using PNVC as your Trail Head it's perfect. Eat some breakfast, get the weather report, head down stairs, use the bathroom, pack-up and head out. Something else I like doing is (although not allowed technically) is sleeping in my car the night before in the parking lot so I'm right there ready to go.

i have to second white mountain bagel in lincoln. good bagels. great bathroom. the gas station across the street also has a good bathroom and is a good place to stock up on hiking snacks (it's also one of the few places in the country that i've found chocolate pop tarts which i highly recommend to anyone willing to eat pop tarts :p ). i think there's a dunkin donuts in the gas station too.

and i need to echo everyone's praise of munroe's. their egg breakfast sandwich is spectacular. plus (you'll notice a theme here) they have good bathrooms too. and if you're there for lunch i recommend the tuna melt. it'll make you forget all about mercury.

i agree w/ waumbek & bruno - it's always Munro's for me early winter days. now if i wanna "see & be seen" in da summertime, then it's Polly's, of course!!!