Hancocks via Hancock notch,Cedar brook and Hancock loop trails; 2-3-13.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Oak

Reaction score
trail conditions;Hancock notch trail was packed down with trace new snow.Cedar brook also hard packed,crossings all doable save the last few which I used a bushwack bypass up the right of stream/little river[north fork] to get me right on the Hancock loop trail.Took like 10 minutes at most for short bushwack.The last crossings would have been nasty without this option.Did loop counterclockwise going up South Hancock first.
spec.equipment;started with snowshoes which I stashed at the hancock notch/Cedar brook trail junction.No need for them[very rare for me,being a proud member of the snowshoe police].Used crampons on the steeps,which seemed perfect ,slight trace snow made footing very nice also.Saw two others who used micros on the steeps with no problems.
comments;Temp dropped by end of day a good amount and clouds rolled in to end the almost perfect conditions.Wind was surprisingly mild for this time of year making it a great day to be outside.Great to get up north in my car which has been cranky lately.Wanted to do Waumbec,but a very late start due to a late night at work, led me to the Hancocks.Nice to meet dude from Worcester[by way of Ireland] and merican[sp?].Nice quiet hike.

Last edited: