If you had only one mountain?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Le Conte!!

As jwynn9154 said, it would be Mt. Le Conte in Tennessee. On the list of my favorite mountains #'s 2-100 are in NH/ME but #1 is Le Conte.

LC rises over 5,000' from it's base, has five great trails leading to the top and has the Le Conte Lodge on top. Look it up, it's great.

moose_mckenzie said:
Moose -- 3899 feet, expansive views of the Dacks, Lake Placid, Champlain Valley, St. Lawrence Valley and into Canada. Best of all, it's not on anyone's 4000 foot list and one can spend an entire day looking out and not meet another sole.

MMK

I was just there today M_M, and I'll tell you true, those two peaks (in your name) rate VERY HIGH in my book. Incredibly AWESOME views and hike. Both views, I would rate in my top 15, and I've climbed a bunch so far.

As for "only one"......................foget it, never happen. I'd never be able to pick just one.

Last edited:
monadnock in southern nh without question.
i just found this thread, no time limit correct??? :D :D :D :D :D

This question brought back so many wonderul memories.
I love them all, even Smuggs up to Sterling Pond in VT ...and Pico.
My little Mt Toby here at home is even special.
Each one has it's time and place in my heart where they will forever remain!

Three come to mind in no particular order,

Chocorua
Adams
Isolation
Bondcliff

(Couldn't stop at three!) :eek: :eek: :eek:

Roger's Ledge in the Kilkenney. Absolutely no doubt.

Three summits I have done multiple times that I really appreciate are:

Mount Rainier
Mount Hood
Giant Mountain ascended via the Eagle Slide.

The first two are self explanatory. However on Giant via the Eagle Slide, stop at the top of the slide and turn around, sit down and enjoy the views. It is one of the best in the ADKs.

Of course there are a few more such as Longs Peak,..................

probably monroe, got a sentimental reason, plus it in the middle of the Presi's so good views, Bond, Lafayette, Moosilauke have got to be in the conversation as well

West Bond. No crowds, rocky pinnacle and huge views, with slides to the north, Franconias to the west and an awesome view of Bondcliff south.

Having it both ways

I feel fortunate to be able to both climb one mountain over and over AND also to climb lots of different mountains. Like BrianW, I live near Monadnock (Brian, I met you once on the summit a few years ago). I've been up the mountain around 75 times. But I'm also working on the 115 Northeast 4000 footers and section hiking the AT. My main interest in peakbagging lists is that it gets me out to new places, but I remain amazed at how Monadnock (or any other mountain for that matter) changes based on the time of day, weather, and time of year. It's part of what keeps me heading out.

It seems a shame to continue this thread as it seemed to run a perfect 6+ month course.... starting and ending on what sounds like an awesome mountain (Modadnock)..... Got to get down and climb it some day.

My choice would be another vote for Katahdin. #1 in my book.

Thanks Post'r Boy for bringing back this thread, I missed it first time round.

Last edited:
Guyot

Backpacking out of the woods from Zealand then stepping out into the open on Guyot, gave me goose bumps!

I'd have to go with Mount Adams. It has ridgeline trails (Airline), ravines, steep headwall trails, ice caves, tremendous views, minor summits, a great overnight spot (Crag Camp), and even some 'lost' trails. I love so many of the trails on that mountain--Spur, King Ravine, Chemin des Dames, Great Gully, Star Lake, Lowes Path, and the lost trail into the Great Gulf.

For me, it would be Noonmark.
Its long enough to provide a workout if you push the pace, has a fabulous view from its open summit, easily accessbile in 4 seasons, a great mountain for introducing others to hiking, and short enough to do when time is pressing or complete in any stage of your hiking life.

PB

The View from Gothics is one that I could never get enough of, and the variety of approaches makes it interesting to climb. I cast my vote for Gothics, with Haystack a Very close second.