Injured hiker carried 8 miles to safety

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the article:
Palmer hiked 7.7 miles back to a parking lot at the start of the Bond Cliff Trail and from there drove to the police station in Lincoln for help. Jellison said he had a cell phone but could not get a single to use it.
Cell phones play a very valuable role when they work. Alas, they sometimes don't.

Wow!! And throwing any chance of modesty aside from the man himself... what a commendable effort by our own NH_Mtn_Hiker on the rescue!!

How did you not spill the coffee on the hike back? It was one of those spillproof lids, wasn't it? :D

Good stuff, Bob.

If you've ever hiked with him, you wouldn't be surprised by that kind of effort. All in a day's work.

Kudos to NH_Mtn_Hiker!!

Not only did helping this man require 15.4 extra miles of hiking and a litter carry, 9.4 of them were along the mind-numbing Wilderness/Lincoln Woods Tr, talk about mental toughness!! :)

Last edited:
Ugh

My stomach turned just thinking about the effort and hassle of litter carrying someone that far. They made GREAT speed at 2mph with a litter. I have spent many long day and night doing the same and avoid litter carries every chance I get because they are so heavy and cumbersome and slow on rough ground.

Congrats to all.
Jeff

NH_Mtn_Hiker bought some coffee and then hiked the trail back to bring it to MacFarlane.

So THAT's how you get yourself a decent cup of coffee while hiking! ;)

That is above and beyond. 3 cheers for the SAR folks who carried the injured man out.

And 4 or 5 for NH_Mtn_Hiker!

Way to go Bob. I do have one stupid question. Was there anyone at the ranger station to notify of the accident? If there was someone at the ranger station is it best to bypass them and go directly to the police? I’m just curious as to the proper procedure and who to contact first.

MadRiver said:
Way to go Bob. I do have one stupid question. Was there anyone at the ranger station to notify of the accident? If there was someone at the ranger station is it best to bypass them and go directly to the police? I’m just curious as to the proper procedure and who to contact first.
I have been to Lincoln Woods two or three times this fall (walking by about 5-6 times)-all post Labor Day. I have not seen any rangers, nor have I seen the ranger cabin open.

Wow the amount of efford NH_Mtn_Hiker did is incredible. He is lucky he came by..It was a very cold night, he may have died if not for being found. It snowed lightly up there and was windy with temperatures in the mid teens. Doesnt take much more then that. By this morning Mount Washington hit 6 degrees. Not somewhere to go alone in that weather..or that far alone at all..-Mattl

Well done - kudos to all and definitely to Bob! Without his efforts, it might have been a recovery, not a rescue.

Man, humping all those extra miles to initiate the rescue is awesome enough. But bringing the guy a coffee...that's bonus points for doing it with style.