Injured hiker carried 8 miles to safety

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are life's little bumps that help show us our character as well as the character of others. Your's is solid Bob. Sometimes my perspective gets jaded by the horrible things human beings are capable of... it's a pleasure to be reminded that good people like you are out there!

P.S. Coffee works for me but make the Dew a diet one!:D

TMax said:
These are life's little bumps that help show us our character as well as the character of others. Your's is solid Bob. Sometimes my perspective gets jaded by the horrible things human beings are capable of... it's a pleasure to be reminded that good people like you are out there!

Actually, I am now reminded of one time that I was concerned about the whereabouts of a hiker buddy and I contacted Bob and he immediately went out looking for him at various trailheads and reported back to me when he found no trace of him. I had not asked him to do this yet he felt compelled to follow up on my concerns even if they seemed totally unfounded.

He's just a good-hearted soul that's willing to help at the drop of a hat!

Nice job, NH_Mtn_Hiker! I was laughing from the first - anyone who knows you knew that you'd've gotten yourself a 'dew and that the coffee wasn't for you! :D

I'm not at all surprised that you've proven yourself helpful in a SAR situation. Great skills - but here's hoping you don't have to practice them often.

Simply incredible.

I was staring at Bondcliff from the downlook above the ladders on the Osseo trail around 2:30 on Sunday, wishing I was there. Now I really wish I was there, so I could have helped out. But from how it sounds, everything turned out just fine!

Many kudos...

That will prob go down as the hike of a lifetime for NH_MTN_HIKER. :)

grouseking

NewHampshire said:
But now this begs a question.....what if the guy had been a drunken bum with an evil black dog? Would ya have brought coffee then??? :D :D :D :D :D

Brian
That would depend what "level" the drunken creep with the evil dog is -- I, II, or III, right Brian? ;)

Great job, Bob Newhart (or whatever your name is). The world got a little safer.

-Dr. Wu

Yes , very nice of you indeed !!
You name should go on an all time
"Good Guys" list !!!

Great work, definitely a class act.

Can I have your cell phone number, in case I get injured out on the trail? I like Dunkin Donuts Toasted Almond, and a blueberry muffiin wouldn't be bad either. I'll bring the 'dew ;)

Great Work Bob!
I guess caffeine (Mountain Dew and Coffee) was a better choice than alcohol to keep the guy awake till the rescue team arrived.
If you find me injured on the trail bring me a 12 pack and a very warm sleeping bag. :D

Last edited:
If my cell phone works, I should call NHMH, not F&G :) That's a lot of miles in one day. Not sure why you "emptied" your pack, seems like you'd need more stuff for 2 of you all night than for one on a day hike.
From the article said:
Jellison said he had a cell phone but could not get a single to use it.
Sounds like the UL uses a spell checker instead of a live editor.

RoySwkr said:
If my cell phone works, I should call NHMH, not F&G :)
When I had my accident, I called 911. The 911 operator took care of everything and had me stay on the line (easy to do because I wasn't going anywhere...) until the evacuation troops arrived.

Doug

RoySwkr said:
...Not sure why you "emptied" your pack, seems like you'd need more stuff for 2 of you all night than for one on a day hike...
True. I emptied the pack to unload things like the camera, GPS, extra raingear, and such, to make room for the coffee and the food.