Injured hiker carried 8 miles to safety

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mohamed Ellozy said:
From the article:Cell phones play a very valuable role when they work. Alas, they sometimes don't.

I have found that on the Wilderness trail and the Lincoln Woods parking area I cannot make a call, but can send and recieve email with my Blackberry (Verizon service). Does anybody know if there is an agnecy that one could send an email to ni order to report an emergancy when in areas where a call will not go through?

Does anybody know where the person was? Seems odd that nobody else passed by in all that time.

Strong work NH MT Hiker. Impressive!!!
You were in the "right" place at the "right" time.

After bushwhacking up to peak 3314" from the Franconia Brook Trail, I decided to continue on along the ridge to Bondcliff. The bushwhack up to Bondcliff was one of the most difficult bushwhacks I've done. Upon reaching the Bondcliff trail I finished my lunch then continued up to Bondcliff for great views, pics, and a beer.

At 3:15 I started down the trail. Ian had been hiking up the Bondcliff Trail in shorts, tee shirt, and trail runners when he slipped on a wet rock and broke his ankle. He layered up and headed back down the trail at that point. It was about 4:00 when I caught up to him just below the small slide. He had descended about a mile and was exhausted. It was clear he wouldn't make it out under his own power at his current pace in less than 16 hours or so. After speaking with him about it a bit more I left him the rest of my food and I told him to sit tight and I'd go get the cavalry.

I reached the Lincoln Police Station at about 6:00 and told them the situation. While they were contacting Fish & Game I borrowed a large coffee dispenser and got it filled with a pot and-a-half of Dunkins Finest. I also bought some food and a liter of Mountain Dew. My first Dew of the day. :cool:

After arriving back at the police station I spoke with someone from Fish & Game via phone and was informed they'd be up but it would be a while. I then went back to Lincoln Woods emptied my pack and reloaded it with the stuff Ian and I would need to get through the long cold night including all that hot coffee. I was back on the trail at 7:15.

I reached Ian at about 9:30. he had come down the trail about a half mile. in the process he had fallen a few times, hit his head, and was a bit wet from traipsing through the brooks. He also said he'd been going in and out of shock.

It was at this time I learned that Ian was allergic to coffee...Oh well, it was good coffee. After getting some food in him we worked on getting his feet and legs a bit warmer then I looked around for a place for a campfire should the need arise. Then I took a seat beside him, kept him talking, and waited for the cavalry. Fortunately, we didn't have to wait long, the first Fish & Game officers arrived at about 10:15 followed soon after by members of the Pemi Valley Search and Rescue Team.

Ian had some hot tea and was loaded into the litter and by 10:40 was on his way down the trail. We carried him to a waiting pickup just south of the Franconia Brook bridge and at about 3:00 he arrived at the ambulance waiting at Lincoln Woods.

Though it was a long night, in some ways it was fun, and it was a great learning experience for me and hopefully for Ian as well.

Last edited:
Good on you indeed and thanks for extending yourself so far for a fellow hiker. Great job.

I thought this showed how trying to tough out a self-rescue can sometimes only go so far and one may in fact need outside help. There's no shame in it and it's good teamwork not to aggravate the situation.

And I hope the 'calvary' waits a few years before having to come for me!

Thanks again, NH_Mtn_Hiker!

Coffee?! I wanna get rescued by NHMtn.Hiker. :D

Three cheers for Bob!!

Way to go NH_Mtn_Hiker!

As for cell service - I've never been able to get cell service until I've headed back towards Lincoln, and have passed the Loon Ski Area.

Great effort Bob!! Looks like we have a new star for the next Mountain Dew commercial :cool:

I'm familiar with the stairs and the tents sites ~1 mile~ up from the WT, but never heard of the 'small slide'.

GREAT WORK NH_Mtn_Hiker !!!!

Lemme see here.....a hike to 3314, a 'whack up to Bondcliff and then the stated 15 + extra miles of hiking....what, Bob, you decided to go for a short hike today? :D

Good job. Glad the guy was lucky you came strolling along on your short jaunt. ;) But now this begs a question.....what if the guy had been a drunken bum with an evil black dog? Would ya have brought coffee then??? :D :D :D :D :D

Brian

caleb said:
I'm familiar with the stairs and the tents sites ~1 mile~ up from the WT, but never heard of the 'small slide'.

GREAT WORK NH_Mtn_Hiker !!!!
It's about here.

It's a spot just below some stone steps where the trail has been sliding away. They reinforced the area below the trail last year. Sorry no pics.

giggy said:
heard about this through the vine.

nice job bob - I can't think of a better person to have stumble on me if it were me injured in the pemi.

OMG!! I read the article and thought to myself, "What a guy!". Then I wondered if he was single and available. :eek: :D

Little did I know that I already knew this guy!! My old friend, Bob!!

I am still impressed!! :p Nice going and yes, Bob, you should be commended for being such a good samaritan!!

NewHampshire said:
But now this begs a question.....what if the guy had been a drunken bum with an evil black dog? Would ya have brought coffee then??? :D :D :D :D :D

Brian

Brian, STOP!! You're soooo bad!!! :eek: :D

Sir Palmer,

Fantastic job!!!!!!! You never know what to expect when on a hike, can be breaking your ankle, or coming across someone with a broken ankle. Looks like you both did well as could be. At least he kept moving the best he could, and AWESOME WORK with helping him out!

I also don't drink coffee, but if you ever have to rescue my sorry arse, please save a beer for me (I don't like Mt. Dew either). :D