Kearsarge South - Lincoln Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campsite

Reaction score
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the Lincoln Trail? Does this trail get any activity in winter? Or do winter hikers predominantly hike from the Winslow or Rollins state parks?
Thanks

It gets a fair amount of use. I drive by the parking lot for this trail on a daily basis and there is often one or more cars there. Did a portion of the trail this past weekend and it was tracked out, probably from the previous weekend. There's not a lot of snow, we barebooted the whole time but, again, we only went probably half way up.
Its a nice trail - after about a half mile on the Link Trail to start, it follows a road for another mile or so before going back into the woods. The last .3 or so you have a choice of trails to the summit. Stay on the Lincoln Trail for a rougher, more exposed route or head to the Rollins Trail for a shorter cruise.

Last edited:
I would say that hikers primarily climb from Winslow+1 mile walk in, and snowmobilers and skiers from Rollins from gate at bottom. Note there was a scheduled hike 1/14
http://www.srkg.com/images/2012_Winter_Hikes.pdf

And as noted more people probably start up the Link than from school

We descended it 11/27...

... in about the same snow cover as we have now. To me, the trail is often rooty and eroded, the markings are sparse, and it seems to find swamps to wade rather than skirting around them. A rough trail for fit hikers, quite eroded since I first hiked it in November 1983. Agile walkers will find it sporty enough to call it a good workout, IMHO.
If ascending, be alert for the left turn off the logging road after crossing the brook with the washed-out culvert still in place. After the view of Black Mtn and Kearsarge, where you descend across a clearcut towards them, look carefully to find where the trail enters the woods; I misremember whether there be blazes enough there as we were descending at night.
With all that said, I still find it a fun hike.