Lincoln Slide

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainmain

Reaction score
Trying to learn more about this approach. Can some one show me where this is on a topo?

Here's a link to Topozone: Lincoln Slide.

I just got back from several days of hiking in the area and I went down the Lincoln Slide on Thursday. If you give me a day or two I'll get a report up including how to find the top, and how to bushwhack out the bottom.

Also use the search function on this site and on the AMC boards and you'll get a fair number of posts on the subject.

Pb

Thanks, we are leaving Saturday (6:00am), I am planning on doing the Bonds then over to Lafayette, down the slide and back out. If I stay out at Guyot on day one, where would you recommend day two. As for the slide any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Let me assume you are starting at the Kanc.

Day 1 might be up the Widerness Trail, The Boncliff trail do the 3 Bonds, and stay at Guyot Campground.

Day 2 might be over to the Twinway, do both Twins then down and up to Galehead and finally to Garfield, staying at Garfield campground.

Day 3 might be over to Lafayette, N. Lincoln, down the slide and then out the Lincoln Brook, Franconia Brook and Wilderness trails. Should we throw in Owls Head?

Note these are long days with lots of elevation gain over rough rocky trails with a bushwhack from the bottom of the slide to Lincoln Brook. And overnight packs to boot! Make sure you know your limits and have some escape routes (and bring headlamps and extra batteries :)).

Others should comment on these ideas. I'm thinking day 3 will be the "crux".

I will give details on the Slide before you leave.

Pb

I have hiked down Lincoln slide as a day trip (up Bridle Path), to replicate the "old way" to climb Owls Head, and I know that I would not want to do this route with a full (overnight) pack. But, of course, there are a lot of routes in the Whites that I would not care to do with a full pack. : >)

After completing Owls Head, we "cheated" and hiked out the Lincoln Brook, Franconia Brook, and Wilderness Trails. Perhaps we could have saved another mile or two by taking the Black Pond bushwhack.

Hi Rainmain

I've put up my report for the day I did the Lincoln Slide now. See My Report Thread.

Look down and find the report for Thursday Aug. 5th. There's plenty of details and references to pictures. You will see that finding the top of the slide was easy, going down the slide was easy, but bushwhacking out to the Lincoln Brook Trail was not easy (for me).

I suggest trying to get some hints from those who have had better luck (and of course better skill). I know JohnL has done fairly well, as well as Frodo and Stinkyfeet and of course Cave Dog (but I don't think he's on these boards at this time). The questions are 1) when to leave the stream and 2) how to find and stay in the "open woods".

Good luck. I had fun and would do it again (better next time!)
Pb

Rainmain

Here's something I just found. I had asked Cave Dog (on the AMC bb) about that bushwhack at the base oif the slide. Here's what he said:

CaveDog
October 02, 2002 02:43:13 AM

PapaBear, go down the slide as far as is convenient. Then divert off to the north to find some relatively open woods. Follow the course of least resistance that trends parallel to the brook that flows out of the slide. When the terrain levels off a bit, trend closer to the brook. This will lead you mostly away from the vagaries of the swamp but into a bit thicker vegetation. Soon after this section you will meet the Lincoln Brook Trail.
Sounds simple but I missed it somewhat. I'm thinking now I should have gotten off to the left before the stream became narrow, i.e. before the place shown in photo #103 [Click for photo.]

Please let us know how it goes so we can add to the institutional knowledge of VFTT.

Pb

When I first went down the slide last September, I made the first mistake by leaving the Franconia Ridge at the low point between North Lincoln and Mt Lincoln. If you look at Papa Bear’s photo #92 , you will see the nearest main branch of the slide heading toward that low point. That is where I entered the slide. The krummholz was extremely thick and difficult in this area. Not only did I also feel bad about snapping the branches on these fragile plants but they got their revenge on me by cutting my legs to shreds. It took me about 15 minutes to negotiate this short section. I did not time it but that is what it felt like. Follow Papa Bear's lead on the entrance point of the slide off the ridge.

The slide was pretty straightforward and Papa Bear’s assessment was exactly as mine; it’s very loose and I was very careful not to dislodge anything. There were lots of large boulders overhead. The lower part of the slide turns into a stream and I followed the streambed down too far to my liking. I was actually walking in the stream and walking very gingerly over moss covered cascades, thinking that if I took a significant fall here, I would be stuffed. As I went down the stream, I kept looking to my left for an easy place to enter the woods but there didn’t appear to be any. So finally I just got out of the stream and headed into the woods.

The first 25 feet or so were quite thick but then the woods opened up and the bushwhack could not have been easier. I kept my compass heading between 70 and 80 degrees to give me an almost due east direction and I kept the stream on my right within earshot. I even came across a couple pieces of red tape, on trees and on the ground, from previous bushwhack markings, so I knew I was on the right track. I came out exactly at the same spot as Papa Bear, with the cascades on Lincoln Brook to my left and the Lincoln Slide stream on my right. I easily crossed Lincoln Brook and there was the trail. It only took me 1:15 from the Franconia Ridge to the Lincoln Brook Trail but it seemed like it took longer. I’m not a watch watcher so I don’t know what my intermediate times were along the route between the two; only the beginning and end points.

You’ll notice on the TopoZone Map that the Lincoln Slide stream appears to intersect the Lincoln Brook Trail where the trail turns from a south-east direction to due east. It does not. The stream actually enters Lincoln Brook a bit south of that spot. It’s not off by much but I just wanted to point that out to map followers.

Photos are here.

JohnL