Lonesome Lake Gear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainManKurt

Reaction score
I going on a trip up to Lonesome Lake for an overnight in the hut. I was wondering what degree sleeping bag I should bring up with me? I have never be up there, and we plan on going in mid January.
Thanks, MountainManKurt

While the hut is fairly low by hut standards, you will be sleeping in unheated bunkhouses. I would go with a 0 degree bag minimum, I'd probably bring my -20 bag for comfort sake in case it's a very cold night.

-dave-

I stayed at Carter in January, it was around zero and I used a 30 deg-F bag but even wearing all my clothes, hat, gloves I was pretty cold. Listen to Dave.

I stayed there on Christmas Eve when it was mild and used a -20 deg bag. I know you didn't ask about anything else, but I would recommend bringing a slead up and bringing lots of food. That worked well for me. Have fun! :)

Unlike Zealand, where you might possibly get a tiny bit of heat in the bunkroomsfrom the woodstove in the adjoining common dining room, Lonesome Lake bunkrooms are detached buildings with no heat. Same with Carter. Whatever the temp is outside, that's not much colder than it will be in the bunkrooms. Tents can trap some body heat and provide a little warmth, but larger detached bunkrooms don't. If it's very cold, there are a couple of tricks to warm up your sleeping bag (and you) before bed: take the bag into the warmer (maybe 40-50F) dining room for dinner; heat water (but not to boiling) and put it in a lexan bottle to serve as a hot water bottle; do jumping jacks before diving in; zip the bag up tight to trap the generated heat.

If all you have is a +20F, get a fleece liner and/or fill up 1 or 2 nalgenes with hot water, put into your insulaters they'll slowly release heat over about 7 hours....