Middle Sister landing site???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibones

Reaction score
Today my friends and I climbed Mt Chocoura and the Three Sisters.
1. We were puzzled by the white markings on the slabs right below foundation on the Middle sister. Does anyone know what those are?? We wern't sure if it was for helicopter landings or extra terrestrial space ship landings.
2. And does anyone know what the structure is that is below the Middle Sister peak. It was about three feet high,rusty with a Y shape top --the whole thing was bolted into the rock. Could it have been an observation binnoccular mount( the kind that is on Cannon).
3. What was the panel in the middle on the structure on Middle Sister?

Thanks, Skibones

I haven't been up there in about a year, but if I recall, there's the footing from an old fire observation, and a weather station or radio repeater.

The US Forest Service has a solar-powered radio repeater on Middle Sister. The mast is mounted inside the foundation of the old fire tower.

I was having lunch there several years ago when a helicopter landed to service the repeater. Given that this is an established landing spot, it could also be used for emergency purposes.