North Weeks Encounter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
I started my hike to N Weeks by midafternoon this past weekend. I parked at the fish hatchery and took York Pond Trail to Kilkenny ridge. I went south to the summit of North Weeks. I came across a couple who were decensding. We started to chat. They emphaticaly told me I was headed north up middle Weeks. :confused::eek: They had parked at the trailhead for Starr King of Rt 2 in Jefferson. Thier plan was to go to N Weeks and turn around and go back to thier car. They were convinced they were headed south. They did not have a compass with them. They found it hard to believe that my compass was right. After they realized that they got turned around they assessed thier situation: it was around 5:00 in the afternoon. They were runing out of water and had only one headlamp. They decided to hike out to the fishe hatchery and call a cab from Berlin.

After I left them and got to the top of North Weeks I think I found thier error. there is a four way intersection of a trail that runs East and west that is well worn and the Kilkenny ridge trail that has yellow blazes. I think they went east over a small peak and then bushwacked-moose trail back to the main trail on the north side of N Weeks.

Does anyone know what that trail at the summit is? I suspect it is for views and campsites. Are there any unofficial feeder trails to the Coos Trail?

After I sumitted I went north to Bunnel Notch were I spent the night and did my Mountain Bird Watch route early the next morning.

I noticed those herd paths a couple years ago then I did the same trip that couple were trying, the 17ish mile out-and-back to North Weeks. Ya gotta really love hiking and the forest with little in the way of views on that one!!!

Anyway, I think I followed the eastern herd path for a bit to a "kinda-sorta view" through the trees. Don't remember if it really went anywhere else or what. You'd think you would leave the clueless behind on Franconia Ridge and only people with a little know-how would be out on a peak like N. Weeks, but I guess not. :)

Wonder how their luck was calling for and finding a ride from the hatchery?