Owl's Head 2/7/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildPeaks

Reaction score
Trail is broken out all the way. We chose to stay on the packed trail rather than break new trail as it was just Jerry & myself.
A few comments: Not just my thoughts. Jerry felt strong about it as well.
Starting with the Black Pond Bushwhack. The broken trail follows a very zig-zag path that meanders waay too far to the East & has to swing back to come out at the crossing of Lin. Brook. This route probably only saves a 1/2 mile from the traditional Trail. Also, who the heck went crazy with the can of orange spray paint???? That's what everyone was following , until they realized they were heading for the Franconia Brook Trail.
I will admit, it was a more beautiful area than the more direct route, but we were trying to lop off some time. so........
Next: The Brutus Bushwhack is not broken out. I didn't see it, or Jerry, nor did the 2 guys ahead of us. (Yes, only four total hikers on Owl's Head that day). Hard to believe, as my brother was there 2 weeks ago & said there were at least 20 something that day.
So we ended up on The Slide. Only one real tricky area that left you trusting one planted crampon to get by with nothing but smooth ice to grab if you slipped. If that didn't hold, .....?? Oh why didn't I bring my Ice Axe?!
Going back down, the BW was attempted but not far at all. Felt it was better to stay on the beaten path, The slide was really ok & quick to get down. Strongly recommend crampons for the slide.
The crossings on the way back were already showing a couple of one foot break throughs from the guys ahead of us, as they still had crampons on. Hard to believe. Better to toss the snowshoes back on.
On the way out that Black Pond bushwhack really seemed like it grew & never thought we would get there. Would pull out the GPS from time to time. Yup still 0.7 miles to Black Pond??
Oh ya, One more thing, don't forget to put the Lithium Cells in your GPS. I always do, but hadn't used it in a while & forgot I had Alkaline in there for boating. They are useless in the below zero start we got & never worked great all day. Never changed them because we were staying on the beaten path.
All in all a good day with a great friend.