Owl's Head

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamples

Reaction score
Planning this soon.

Sticking to the trails. No bushwacking which seems to be the norm. Water levels on many trip reports sound low making easy rock hopping river crossings for the time being.

My only concern is 8 miles in, finding the actual trail that goes up. Is that clearly marked now?

And then how easy is it to stick to that trail? I don't really want to wander lost losing the trail. It sounds like a slide, so is it as easy to follow as let's say N Tripyramid slide?

Will I know when I hit the old summit? new summit?

Then is it fine to pick up going back down?

I must admit those 2 miles up and down has me the most nervous since the other 16 miles look pretty straight forward sticking to the map trails. I just don't know what to expect with that 1.1 up and 1.1 back down and do not want to get lost!! No trail has had me wondering more than this one!

Any info will be a great help. Thanks!

It's really pretty straightforward, and you're unlikely to have any issues keeping on the "trail."

Take note of your pace as you're hiking the Wilderness trail and then the Franconia Brook trail, then project how much time it will take you to get to the base of the slide from the start of Lincoln Woods trail. As you approach your expected time, look for a somewhat more cleared section of woods, a small cairn on your right (sometimes gets disassembled), and a small rock-walled entrance to the slide trail on your right. That's the start of the slide. There are many variations to the slide within about 20 yards, but they all funnel to the same spot, and again, it's not hard to stay on track. The slide itself is pretty loose, fyi. There's a small sign where the old summit is, and you need to go ~1/4 mile north to the new summit, which also has a small sign. That 1/4 mile is probably the most difficult to follow - a few pointless side trails - but again you shouldn't have any trouble keeping yourself pointed in the right direction. Try to take note of a couple of landmarks on your way up. The slide is not difficult to find on the way back down - there's really only one "trail" down from the old summit.

Water levels were very low two weeks ago. Stream crossing were trivial; but that can change fast.

Enjoy, Owl's Head is under-rated IMO.

If you want to cross Lincoln Brook, the Pemi, East Branch, is at 25% of mean for this time of year, (48cfps), 9th percentile overall. At that rate, you can probably cross the Pemi itself in numerous places without getting your feet wet.

Tim

Definitely stick to the trails, as they are a LOT faster at this time of year. I only bother with the bushwhack in winter. The crossings have never been an issue for me as I simply walk right through the water in my trail runners.

The side trail up to the slide is very obvious. There's a big beaten out area right at the intersection and arrows have been cut (and in some cases, subsequently scraped away) into a bunch of the trees. I believe the FS also allows for a small cairn at the trail entrance now, too, but don't hold me to that statement.

Perhaps the most obvious "flag" that you've gone to far is the Lincoln Brook trail itself. Very few people venture past the Owl's Head Path junction - this is very noticeable as the foot bed instantly seems to fade away. Therefore, if the trail seems super faint, you've probably passed the intersection.

Once you're on the slide itself, the rest of the hike up and down is a breeze. The section above the slide in the woods has quite a few blowdowns, but the foot bed is extremely easy to follow. As Hikerbrian mentioned, there are quite a few herd paths leading towards the "new" summit, though it's hard to get lost as long as you keep in mind that you're walking on a very flat ridge.

Owl's Head is a great peak. I hope you have a blast out there!

I was up there earlier this year with Big Earl. I believe there is a "truce" established between the USFS and the hiking public on leaving the turn off from the trail to the path. The location is very obvious, just keep track of brook crossings and once you have passed the last one, keep an eye out. The main trail very rapidly gets a lot less traveled if you go by the turn off.

The walk along the ridge has several herd paths that go in and around blowdown patches. The "new" summit is a pretty obvious small worn down area north of the blowdown patches.

Right before you come to the beginning of the slide on the right hand side there is this nice, little "open" greenery area, pictured below. If you look carefully, you will seem my blue Osprey pack, just to the right of the last tree on the left of the frame. My pack is sitting at the entrance to the slide path, so it just gives a little perspective for distance. I just personally have always been scanning the right side when approaching Owl's Head, force of habit.

578292045_NYfm4-M.jpg

I had the same concerns about Owl's Head and finallly did it two weeks ago sticking to the trails to complete my 48 and my worries turned out to be baseless. Streams were easy in the dry midsummer conditions. The details in hikerbrians and lRiz's posts are spot on regarding finding the route. I would add a few more things:

There currently is a cairn at the enterance to the slide trail and I think a down tree pointing that way.

Once on the ridge between the old and new summit, the path was obvious, and even had saw cut trees as evidence of the route except in an area about halfway between the two peaks. Heading towards the new summit there is a false trail that peels away sharp right--stick straight/ left instead. On the way back it could be confusing because the false trail, now your left appears to be the natural way to proceed, say right instead hoping over a small blowdown. You will know you picked the proper path if the hiking is level, the aforementioned false trail heads downhill, which it shouldn't.

FWIW I actually enjoyed the hike way more than expected, and the slide was fun, though contained lots of loose rock and sand.

When I went up Owls Head recently, the slide had a fairly elaborate set up of stones outlining the beginning of the path.

I was so convinced that I wouldn't be able to find the base of the Slide that I repeatedly stopped and contemplated backtracking because I was so sure that I must have passed it. After such a long, easy approach, it was easy to assume I went further than I actually did. I felt ridiculous once I came up to the well defined turn off.

The only thing I'd add is to go in with confidence. Don't get too hung up thinking about how much further the trail is. Its a long approach, but you'll get there, and you'll know it. In winter, I could see it being a completely different story, of course.

Enjoy the long day with no worries!

Owl's Head in Rain?

thanks all for the details - this one's on our list - I'd thought it had limited views so wondered if it might be done in rainy conditions - but not quite sure the steeps on the slide would be best when slick. We tend to be conservative on such things since one of our sons has difficulty with steep downward slopes on scree. Any feedback on that would be helpful.

I'm having withdrawl since unexpected family commitments (a wake, yuck) made us change plans and miss last Sunday's gorgeous weather.

My only concern is 8 miles in, finding the actual trail that goes up. Is that clearly marked now?

And then how easy is it to stick to that trail? I don't really want to wander lost losing the trail.

I just don't know what to expect with that 1.1 up and 1.1 back down and do not want to get lost!! No trail has had me wondering more than this one!

Any info will be a great help. Thanks
!

Shamples...have you considered one of these? I love mine. It's cheap, tracks satellites accurately in dense cover, and is spot on. I secure it to the outside of my chest strap because it needs stability. I use only the "track" mode. It establishes a bread crumb trail that you can save and then "track back" to your original destination on the exact route that you hiked up. It's very easy to use and Garmin tech support is great answering questions if the need arises. I practiced on known trails until I felt certain I could trust it.
No maps, no fanfare, very straightforward and dependable.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=N9A7TujCDtO00AH4ncXFAw&ved=0CIUBEPMCMAU

I don't want to turn this into a GPS thread but when I read about your fear of getting lost I could relate. This has given me much peace of mind!

I'd thought it had limited views so wondered if it might be done in rainy conditions
Yeah, that's the under-rated part. The views from the top are nonexistent, but the views from the slide are really quite impressive - the backside of Franconia Ridge in front of you and Lincoln Brook below. Only 180 degrees, but a pretty phenomenal 180 degrees.

I'm not sure I'd want to tackle the slide in rainy conditions though. First, the river crossings really are kind of challenging at high water (all things relative - of course it depends on your comfort with such things. This was the first hike I ever took my then-girlfriend-now-wife on, years ago; it had rained for a week before. In retrospect I'm surprised she ever hiked again...or agreed to marry me...), and the loose scree and talus on the slide is sucky enough when it's not raining. But again, if you're comfortable with such things, it wouldn't be a big deal. To answer your question, I wouldn't relegate this one to a rainy day hike, personally.

Thanks Brian - just the info I needed - yeah it probably isn't wise. Maybe Cabot. Maybe painting the kid's bedroom walls with a glass of wine as a reward.

Completely agree with Brian. Though I wouldn't mind it myself, I'd play it safe and save that trail for a day determined to be completely dry rather than bring children or anyone who isn't completely comfortable with those conditions onto it.

If Cabot is your alternative for a wet day, keep in mind that the trail tends to get rather muddy, if that is something that you're looking to avoid as well. If you still give it a go, be sure to take the short spur trail up to the Horn where the best views can be had. The extra effort is well worth it and will only add 10-15 minutes to your day.

You really think the trails are faster? The bushwhack from Black Pond is supposed to cut 1 mile off each way. Does the bushwhack slow you down that much?

The only thing the bushwhack saves is two miles of distance. Unless one hikes exceptionally slowly on flat, easy trail (aka. Wilderness, Franconia Brook and Lincoln Brook) to the point where his/her speed is comparable with bushwhacking pace, it will not save you time.

Just be sure to follow the orange blazed route!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses on this. I ended up enjoying the long trek and studied so much beforehand that I did feel confident with this. My worries weren't needed so much as the trails were easy to follow, rivers easy to cross, the start path to the slide obvious marked right now, and the old and new summit easy to follow too. The slide was a blast. Also thanks Maddy on the gps heads up, I may purchase that one soon, but didn't need it on this day. My trip report has been posted for this but wanted to say thanks again for everyone's input.

I've done this both ways - a Black Pond bushwhack and an all-trail approach. There seemed to be a reasonable herd path about half way up to the brook crossing from the Pond (around the west side of the pond). In a wet spell, it's likely to be soggy in parts. I decided it was quicker going in with the whack - though the difference won't be great.

On the way out we chose to follow the trails the long way around, mostly to placate my hiking partner who is leery about bushwhacks.

slide slippery/summit

just another two cents:

when i did this a few weeks ago it was a dry day and and the slide itself was dry, but the woods part (above the rock slide) were still wet and damp--i found that part almost more tricky than the rocks. so doing it in the rain would be pretty miserable, i'd think

advice i was given about not losing the path on and above slide--if you come to any junctions, stay left, and that will keep you on track. it worked for me

also, when you get to the "old" summit, there is a sign on a tree to the left, above your head that says summit 1/4 mile, so pass that and you will soon come upon a tshirt on a bush that someone left to mark the trail. very soon after that you reach the summit.

i too was worried about finding the path up to the slide. you will laugh when you see it because it's super obvious, two rock walls point it out, as mentioned in another post.

have fun!

Last edited: