Pressie 4th of July Traverse and more......

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Roing

Reaction score
After a scientific car-spotting arrangement where among other things we got involved in helping a VT woman with her flat tire on 302 between Bretton Woods and Crawford Notch. She had just lost her job and her boyfriend and was moving to Portland, ME. Someone else had started to help her with the tire but left her without completing the job since it started to rain. Barry (not on VFTT but should be) started this trip with creating good karma even before spotting the first car. Suddenly several cars stopped close to us and we thought that people are very nice here to stop and ask if they can help.......150 feet behind us a moose emerged from the woods.....oh well....it was cool to see the moose though :)

Darlene picked up Gris's daughter Ashley in Franconia and by 10pm a good chunk of people were gathered around a massive fire tended by Unfrozencaveman and Marc Howes. I counted 17 people around the fire the first night and there was a great deal of carbohydrate in-take in preparation for tomorrow's activities. With good 80's tunes blazing from the speakers a team set up the 54 lbs party-tent (in case it rained) in about 30 minutes.........a disco-ball was placed in the center-court of the tent. Then we all went over to the bon-fire which heated up the wooden bench and chairs around it so slowly people took shelter behind the tables and chairs. Unfrozen had brought about a month's worth of firewood..........with Marc Howes feeding the fire we risked running out of wood the 2nd night.......no one suffered frostbite the first night......if you wore shorts, shaving of legs wasn't needed either :D

Friday July 4th
Unfrozen, Juniper, Nif and Darlene went up Daniel Webster Trail and got a 5:25am start. Barry, Nartreb, Ashley (Gris's daughter), Sven, Karen, ferrisjrf, Peakbagger, Adamiata, Mountaingirl, Sasquatch and myself went up Valley Way to Madison Hut. Kevin (KevinJudy and Emma), BikeSkiHikeFish and Larry started from Bowman at 7am and went up Castle Ridge Trail - Jefferson - Adams - Israel Ridge Trail. We planned to meet somewhere between Jefferson and Adams.

Six of us left at 5:30am sharp as planned! Us other five left at 5:48am after waiting for two unnamed latecomers. 1hr57 min later we were by Madison Hut and the inside quickly filled up with VFTT dudes and dudettes. Took a break (no details needed) and then went up Madison and found the other four already there. Hugs and photos and red,white and blue colors were all abundant. Someone made pushups with the mini-keg as well. Stunningly beautiful weather and Darlene as usual doesn't miss an opportunity for summit group photos. Darlene looked like she just had won the Miss America contest. Ashley came a little behind the rest of us and we met her at the hut after descending Madison. She then went up Madison and traversed over to Daniel Webster and hiked back to Barnes Field. This was her initial plan as well.

The 14 of us split up in a Star Lake Trail group and a Gulfside Trail group. We appreciated the fact that we were blessed with such athletic weather ;) .....the day could not have been much better. A group of four asked if they could pass us.......our conversation probably scared them off or bored them to death......not sure which but we discussed some strange stuff as usual.....
Repair of Uncle Sam hat with ductape on top of Adams and we were on the summit by ourselves. We also sampled a bit of each others different types of energy drinks. ferrisjrf had some home cooked stuff which tasted rather interesting to say the least. Stayed there for a while before heading to Thunderstorm Junction and the big cairn. Nif and Adamiata took off like rockets as usual and weren't able to apply the brakes at Edmand's Col.....they just kept rolling up the other side to Jefferson. Some young dude asked to take photos of us upon arrival at the summit. After 20 minutes or so at the summit, bikeskihikefish, Kevin and Larry shows up and we are now 17 people on Jefferson........Larry asks if anyone wants a thin mint.....he pulls out a roll of it and before he gets it back it's empty - if you feed a flock of wolves.... We could almost smell the sulphur from the Cog Railway now....we could certainly hear the horns......SJ must be in the Washington vinvinity ;)

We say bye to the Adams-bound trio and head for Sphinx Col......I lost my red ribbon but Nif picks it up to ensure 'leave-no-trace" is applied during our trip. Some of the rock rats in our group started to salivate when a nice natural climbing wall shows up where Sphinx Trail intersects Gulfside Trail......some free-soloing up the rock is the result of this. Opposite the Sphinx Trail there was a more moderate 15 degree ledge which Darlene and I managed to put up a new route we called "Parallel Lines"......see photos :)

After more hat repair the group decided Clay was in the cards so there we went. Peakbagger and I took up the rear end and discussed alternative energy in the form of extracting methane from pig and cow spilling and figured out that in North Carolina you can produce 46 million watts of alternative energy just from the cows. On Clay we took a long nice break and many photos.......Nif had disappeared in the horizon though and next time we found her she was chewing away by a table in the Mt. Wahington cafe. Before that though we ran into Drewski and SherpaJohn right below Washington summit. After some discussion, touting of horns and photos we continued up to join Nif......re-taping of feet and much appreciated pizza and tabasco were some of the activities in there. When we came outside people asked to take photos of us and at least three photographers took the opportunity......did anyone see us on the front page of New York Times, USA Today and Chicago Tribune? Delayed the keg opening and silent moment for Darren's father since too much commotion on top. We met some other people on top of Washington but forgot who they were - Unfrozen: can you help me out here?

Went real swift down to LOC hut. At least Juniper and Barry added Monroe to their 48-list. It was just great to see 14 sparkling hikers flow down the trail in front of you. Keg opening happened on Franklin summit. It wasn't that difficult to spread 5 liters of Heini among 14 people so we had some extra oil cans to lubricate our throats. At a distance we saw someone with a big flag hiking up towards us......and lo and behold - it was McRat! He had been serving 262 ice cream sandwiches along the trail so far.......we got the last two.......dry ice works real well to keep things frozen! So now we were 15 of us and on Eisenhover Mr Metsky himself was waiting!

We had a silent moment for Darrens father on top of Eisenhover. It worked out well since we had the summit to ourselves. On to Pierce and another encounter with SJ's team. His girlfriend Sarah and Howard were there also with Drewski. Here Adamiata and McRat followed Sj's team down to Crawford Notch. After piuctures on Pierce, Kevin, Sven , Karen and Barry went down Crawford Path. At Mizpah Spring Hut Metsky and Nartreb took the short-cut to Crawford Path. Unfrozen, Darlene, Nif, Mountaingirl, Sasquatch, Juniper, ferrisjrf and myself continued to Jackson and we covered the two miles between the hut and Jackson summit in 31 minutes. Beautiful sideways light through the woods........7:30pm and we went down Jackson Trail.......Unforzen and I had some deep discussion about important things in life and suddenly McRat and Adamiata was waiting for us with a cooler full of beer close to 302.....went to pre-place a Heineken can up the trail for the next group of us coming down. Juniper came with the can around the corner and we sat down enjoying life for a while before walking over to the cars across the road. Metsky was waiting here with a giant cookie the size of a pizza......did we gain or lose calories on this trip? Who cares! We had a blast. A great part of the hike was probably to see all the smiling faces we encountered along the ridge.....

Back to the campground in a variety of vehicles. Ed Hawkins had been to the campground earlier in the evening and donated some Pabst Blue Ribbon to us - thank you very much Ed! A great evening around the fire and tomorrow we didn't need to get up early since it was a rest day with rock climbing on the schedule :) Next party we need to record the discussions around the fire.........some great stuff was heard each night.......

Next episode: Some fierce rock climbing where a grandmother pulls off a wicked overhanging 5.8 route at Square Ledge.....the author didn't make that route......don't tell anyone ;-) Also some whitewater upstream swimming contest in Peabody river. Last but not least - Giggy's arrival to Barnes Field.....

Long 4th Weekend

Though I wasn't a part of the traverse it was great to see you guys on Jefferson. Larry, Tim and I had a great hike as well. Thanks, Mats for organizing the stay at Barnes Field and giving me a place to stay Thursday night. It saved me a very early wake up call and long drive on Friday morning.

You're a real fun group, even for us grandparents. ;)

KDT

fun-fun-fun!!

You're a real fun group said:
Hey, I resemble that remark....

Mats thanks for organizing a great weekend, the hike was so much fun seeing all the smiles on people's faces as we passed by. I really liked the salutes from the group of guys on Mt Washington! It was so much fun to celebrate the Holiday making people laugh and doing something we love. Barry hiking his first 4000 footers with a Presi Traverse...

It was a picture perfect day and as usual I had the camera ready!

The cookie, snickers, ice cream, beers, pizza and rides back to Barnes were very much appreciated by a group of tired hikers!!!

A welcome to Ashley (Gris's daughter) for joining us and laughing along with us for 2 nights..when knowing none of us!

McRat, Metski, Drewski, Sherpa John, Tim, Larry Kevin and all the others we ran into and kept us laughing and smiling all day. Yes, Drewski we did find the summits. Even found this new summit called Mt Heini, you should add it to your list of peaks to summit! It is a "true new summit"!

http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/July4thPressiRockClimbing/photo#5220281775012606642

As usual at Barnes the stories continued and the fire grew and a few adult beverages were drank..............nice to see Giggy stop by with his family. Heard they had a long ride back to their campground!

Saturday was lots of fun rock climbing..afraid I missed taking pics of Mats climbing...I was belaying. I know others have some pics!! Mats you made a strong try on a very overhanging wall......not everyday you see a Grandmother rock climbing! :eek: Let me know if I ever start looking like a Gram!!!!

Thanks to Barry, Rebecca(climbed too), Dave, Frank, and Nilsa for visiting us while climbing and supplying the cold beers!! (after climbing) Then off to the river and Davebear and Jason shows up...he's everywhere! Thanks for the cold beverages and the great food by the fire afterwards!

The whole weekend was a blast and it was so nice to meet more new faces!
Can't wait to hike/climb/party with you all again!!!

Pics link!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/July4thPressiRockClimbing

Last edited:
Relief

Darl,
You don't know what a relief it is to find someone at or near my own age at these gatherings. My youngest kid is about the same age as some of these guys! From what little I know of you no one is going to mistake you for a grandmother!

Great pics!

KDT

Mats Roing said:
.Larry asks if anyone wants a thin mint.....he pulls out a roll of it and before he gets it back it's empty - if you feed a flock of wolves....
Ed Hawkins had been to the campground earlier in the evening and donated some Pabst Blue Ribbon to us - thank you very much Ed! ..

Too funny about the flock of wolves. :) Fine trip report, Mats! Sorry that I missed the festivities this past weekend. :( I was not able to join Ed Hawkins on Isolation on Friday either, :( which was the completion of his 50th round of the NH48. Hope to catch the next Barnes Field gig. :)

Thanks for writing up Day 1, Mats.

I've only been hiking in the Whites for about 4 years, so I realize this makes me a relative newbie...but I have to say that this was hands down the best day I've ever spent up there. It was the perfect combination of fantastic weather, inpiring views, great company, fun & games and physical challenge.

Before we had a moment of silence on the summit of Eisenhower in honor of Darren's father, Mats and Dave M said a few words. The gist of their messages were that this man did what we all ought to...do what you love and live life to the fullest. Contemplating that message, surrounded by good people and the beauty of the day and the mountains...well, it touched me deeply.

Ok, that was pretty serious. Now here are some pictures of people having fun wearing goofy hats. Presi Traverse July 4

Rebecca

Thanks to all of you for making Ash one happy lady! The thought of spending July 4th weekend alone was none too appealing for her, and as usual, you all came through magnificently! Gris sent me a note, like a proud papa saying he had just spoken to her. After she told him about the hike she asked "what other 4ks have i already bagged?". I think you all have another budding peak bagger :D

BTW, Ash is Bearly Live stage manager, so you'll all see her again there!

Last edited:
McRat said:
I'm delighted to have been a small part of the fun of this great group.

Next time, more ice cream or beer. :)

EmPHASIS on BEER? :)

Sounds like a wonderful time! Goodonya'll! :D

McRat said:
Next time, more ice cream or beer. :)

The "or" in the sentence above can be replaced by an "and"..... ;)

I think we should make the "Pressie Parade" an annual event :)

Going more extreme on the clothing might be a good goal for next year. Darlene led by example and her home-made gaiters were outstanding. Juniper did plan ahead and supplied the rest of us with goodies.

McRat deserves either a mountain to be named after him - we saw him a mile away coming towards us with the flag.......he would have made George Washington himself smile in his grave. If the Union troops would have had more McRats enlisted......the Civil War would have been a lot shorter....can you imagine what a weapon! You feed your own troops ice cream and then go and divert the enemy with ice cream......

Whoever becomes new president of this country should appoint McRat as Morale Boost Minister :D

Saturday July 5th

I think i forgot to mention the owl which woke us up at 2:23 am the morning of the traverse......this morning however the owl was quiet......Unfrozen Caveman probably raised the air temperature around Barnes so much that the owl migrated north. Instead we had a certain moderator take over the nightly symphony orchestra which causes ear plug sales in Gorham to quadruple.

Woke up at 6 and talked with Dr Wu before he took off for Madison and Adams. Shortly thereafter Youngblood and I decided a visit to the hikers breakfast in Pinkham Notch would hit the spot. Not a lot of people were awake yet. The amber in the firepit was probably still hot enough to forge steel out of iron :D

The breakfast was great and Charles and I went to check the 3D map of the Pressies. Charles asked a female employee in the vincinity if she could show us where Denali was on the map......that must be one of the top ten pickup lines :D

Back at campsites 10 and 11 at BF, people had started to get up by now and car after car disappeared for brekafst and hiking. Nif, Darlene, nartreb, Barry, Juniper and myself went organized ourselves and went to Square Ledge right across from Pinkham Notch. HikerAmiga and Frank came later as supporters. There were some AMC guides with clients there upon arrival at 11am. t was a hot day which became increasingly cloudy as the hours passed. A few black flies to up the ante during our climbs. Nartreb and I were good gentlemen and cheered on Nif and Darlene when they sat up the ropes :rolleyes:

We had just one rope with us due to some Swedish managerial skills. It seemed to be fine though since we were doing a more relaxed climbing day. We started with a 5.5 chimney noone had any real problems with. Then Nif made a courageous climb up the cliff to set a directional cam for a more difficult start of the same chimney. 5.6-5.7 was the rating now.....and we enjoyed the encouragement from our cheerleaders watching us and keeping up a healthy flow of fluid carbs :)

Then Darlene showed us how real climbing is done by pulling off a stiff overhanging 5.8 route....go grandma! Even the AMC guide was impressed. The following day Darlene actually pulled off some 5.10's.....grandma climbs harder than most 20-year olds! And I think she's hotter than most 20-year olds! Nartreb pulled off the climb as well. Nif and I had some problems on the last part of it and bailed. Al Stebbins and his wife were there also and we drank a few more beers with them before heading to Peabody River for a swim just north of Stony Brook TH. Barry and I went running towards Gorham for a little bit before swimming. DaveBear was there and we played in the water and we tried to see who could move upstream through the fast rapids......we stayed for a while enjoying being like kids again :)

By the time we got back to BF the fire was going.......hot dogs, burgers, salmon, Unfrozen made steak and veggies.....different types of chips and dips....three ladies went to fill up an SUV with beer.......DaveBear brought some fresh stuff from the slaughter house as usual and cooked without shirt as usual.....he's not shy showing off his Schwarzenegger type upper body....

Giggy, his wife and 4-year old son Connor shows up, Connor enjoyed playing with the adults and telling about his first bear encounter. Nartreb and I worked on setting up the discoball with a fixed laser pointer.....problem was that since the fire was in the supernova category it outshined everything else around it. Gillian drove in from VT also. Played some great tunes in the stereo and soon it was dark (unless you were witihn 300 feet from the fire). Lots of eating and drinking and fun conversations :) The sheriff made rounds about every hour but marc Howes ensured us that he had smouched the female sheriff so there were no worries of trouble :D

Next episode: Is Gillian gonna be able to rally a hiking crew on Sunday? Will Darlene find her missing climbing gear? Is mats gonna be able to fit the big kahuna tent back in its bag? Will the giant insect on Mt. Hight attack us? How to build a sweat-recycling system which creates both drinking water, sunscreen and insect repellent.....to be continued......

Mats

Last edited:
Excellent report. More photos coming as soon as I get a chance. Here's a preview:

This is one of my favorites from the Presi Traverse:

Special thanks to Metsky for accompanying me down the Mizpah Cut-Off, and for spotting this:

(lots of moose sightings this trip; the spirit of Forestgnome must have been with us!)

Here's the 5.8 route from Saturday. Did Mats mention it's a sustained overhang?

hey all - glad we were able to get there for a couple of hours. It sounds like the weekend was better than a motley crue show and party after circa 1982 at the Whiskey a go go - and a trip to the motley house after.

A couple of years a go a few like minded freinds started the whole - "lets hike and climb and meet at barnes after" for a cookout, fire, music and beer - and look what its turned into...

pretty freakin cool :) Mats is carrying the torch of party organizier! (and doing it rather wel :) :) ) hike and climb hard and party after - thats what its about.

Deb and I can't wait to see you all at SK's where we won't be chasing a 3 year old around all night!

Thanks for everyone for being so nice to Conor - he gets real exicted and social. I think he even jumped on someone sleeping - he means no harm!

The problem with barnes is you don't want to leave...

marchowes said:
That was a blast at BF -- one of the more memorable shindigs for me.

Glad I could assist with the fire, and provide the catalyst for some of the most screwed up late night conversations I've ever heard (thanks Dr. Wu)
Things did get a little freaky after a while didn't it? Not weird enough though for my taste -- wait till Bearly Live!

I had a blast this weekend. This was my first VFTT event in over two years and most of the people I had never met before and all of you were so great. I really enjoyed meeting and partying with everyone! No shortage of good times.

It was also great to hike with Mats, Gillian and (completely nude) Nartreb on Sunday up Carter Dome and Mt. Hight and then go swimming and get pizza afterwards. What a wonderful day that was despite me being a little sore from doing Madison and Adams the day before.

Great meeting you all -- next year I'll join you for the Presi Traverse!

-Dr. Wu

I would like to thank everyone for an outstanding time. The traverse was an amazing day out with a fantastic group of hikers.The golden light as we summited Jackson was the perfect ending to a perfect day. After the years of hiking alone it was awesome to part of such a great group! Ashley was a little stressed out from the KRT as well as work issues, but she had a great time as well. I think she will be in rare form at Bearly Live.
Thanks,
Rob

How did we forget the Owl....he sounded like he was right in our campsite!

I definitly think this should be an annual hike, I'll supply the gaiters for everyone next year! It really made for a special 4th of July for me to spend it with so many fun new friends.

I'm not sure we had quite enough wood to burn....it was one "hot" fire! Who would of known that Marchowes gives amazing massages,,,,,,ahhhhhh thanks!!

unfrozencaveman---you owe a few ladies!!

The moment of silence for Darren's Dad also was thought provoking and really was a perfect spot to reflect as we were gazing in 360 degree views of incredible beauty of the Mountains! Thanks Mats & Dave.