Pressie 4th of July Traverse and more......

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DreamFarmer said:
What a great bunch of pictures- totally enjoyable.....and what a day you had !

Beer and IceCream on top ?
I didn't see that in any of my hiking nourishment manuals...must be missing a few pages...

hardy har - this group (which I am usually a part of :cool: ) just does things a little different. ;) ;)

you should have seen the pemi-loop attempt last year where we strolled into galehead hut at about 9am on a sat morning with a keg of heine and proceded to tap the keg and drink - lets say a few guests were a bit surprised that morning. More proud of that moment than any summit I will tell you.

Gillian said:
The ATer, "Warpaint", was cookin' going up to Carter Dome - he was practically hop, skippin' and jumpin'...I wonder what he was listening to on his ipod....!
Warpaint wasn't a 17/18 year old kid from Cambridge, was he?

For those of you perplexed by the photos of me pointing my camera at krummholz:

I'll be very impressed if anybody can ID this bee...

David Metsky said:
Warpaint wasn't a 17/18 year old kid from Cambridge, was he?

He looked young....not sure if that young.....he didn't say where he was from.

Is there an official AT hiker site?

I definately agree with ferrisjrl. I'm going to be chuckling about this weekend for a while now. We couldn't ask for better weather and people. If this becomes an annual event its going to be interesting to see what we do to top it. Thanks for putting it all together Mats.

CBCBD - Even though you couldn't join us per say, I figured we'd keep you along with a few progress reports. And by the way the "Grandma" would give you a run for you money on climbing were you around. You two together could be dangerous!!!! ;)

Nif

Wooooo Hooooo

This was an absolutely amazing weekend, when I was made aware of this "gathering" I had mixed feelings...psyched to have a potentially outrageous gathering to attend, bummed that I wasn't strong enough to pull off a traverse with the group.

For various reasons I hadn't done anything over 10 miles in like 6 months before this weekend, last summer I wouldn't have even given it a second thought, this summer I just didn't have the confidence - I didn't feel that I was strong enough and was a bit "off" when I was driving up there, then I spoke to Jen. I asked her if she had been training for this and she replied, "No, I'm just going to tough it out," or something to that effect. "Well," I thought, "if that's her attitude, and everyone else is doing it, I'll just go into it with the same attitude."

An incredible day with an incredible group of people - like Jason said, the best July 4th I can remember! Hiking with this group was so much fun, and so distracting, that I never even thought about the physical challenge of it all, just looked forward to the next summit shot! Surprisingly enough, I even woke up feeling pretty good the next day and went out and hiked a section of trail known as the Ice Gulch - a gem of a hike - it gets referred to as a mini Mahoosuc but I'll tell you what I've done them both and I think they are equally amazing/challenging.

On a funny note, when I went to put my trail running shoes on to hike the Gulch I looked down and saw that I had to put my insoles back in then remembered that I had never taken them out - they were back home in my gear room... I had done the entire Presi Traverse in trail running shoes minus the insoles! I thought they felt a little loose on Friday :eek:

Thanks again to everyone, especially Mats for organizing the whole thing - looking forward to many more!

nartreb said:
For those of you perplexed by the photos of me pointing my camera at krummholz:
[
I'll be very impressed if anybody can ID this bee...

Dave, no clue but amazing pictures so far that I've seen! Can't wait to see the rest!! Thanks for taking some climbing shots!!

Giggy, you were there with us in spirit and celebration Sat night..we did miss you on the hike and next year will look forward to you being a part for even more laughs!

I agree with NIF, we'll be smiling and remembering that hike for a while to come.. just too many fun moments and mixture of hikers! It'll be fun trying to match and up the ante for next 4th of July!!

Darl58 said:
Giggy, you were there with us in spirit and celebration Sat night..we did miss you on the hike and next year will look forward to you being a part for even more laughs!
!

hopefully next year we maybe 3000 miles away on another peak. :D

Some photos from the rock climbing on Saturday:

Jen puts up the first line
sl07.jpg

Darlene working hard
sl10.jpg

Just the usual day on the crags
sl12a.jpg

Tandem climbing, the new Olympic sport
sl17a.jpg

The rest are HERE

Beautifull pics Dave..I never did go back up top to take a photo and remembered later.....Your's are sweet! :D

The climbing was fun..love the one with Rebecca lounging at the Crag. The tandem photo is funny..I really wasn't trying to go past Juniper and no I didn't push her off...The tandem only works if you wear the same rock shoes and share the same helmet then it qualifies for Olympic trials! :p

OMG - Marc Howes has changed his avatar!

We've gotten a LOT of mileage out of that picture...

giggyyou should have seen the pemi-loop attempt last year where we strolled into galehead hut at about 9am on a sat morning with a keg of heine and proceded to tap the keg and drink [/QUOTE said:
Cool. :cool: Would you have pictures of that?

Spider

While the entomologists are trying to identify Nartreb's bee could they tell me what kind of spider this is? (Besides big, fat, hairy!) I see them all over the Presidentials.

38ajeffadams7408.jpg

KDT

Kevin, you may have blown your chance: arachnologists can get huffy if you mistake them for entomologists ;)

It's obviously in family lycosidae, but I can't help you much beyond that. As a very wild guess, call it melocosa fumosa and see if anybody contradicts you.