Pressie 4th of July Traverse and more......

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you gang had a blast of fun. Sorry I missed it this time around. See you all at Sherpa's.

Did the Presi Traverse on Labor Day last year for the first time. It's a classic of a hike. I'll be hiking the Pemi Loop a couple of days before the big summer party in Oxford.

Last edited:
giggy said:
Deb and I can't wait to see you all at SK's where we won't be chasing a 3 year old around all night!

Thanks for everyone for being so nice to Conor - he gets real exicted and social. I think he even jumped on someone sleeping - he means no harm!

I guess I overestimated Conor's age.....great little guy.....walking around telling about his first bear encounter and asking women if they want to get laid :D Who's your Daddy Conor?

Sounds like i missed some good times. Hopefully next year! sounds like the tradition has started.
does conor know all the lyrics to slayers reign in blood album yet?

.....and so nobody calls the parenting department on me..... Conor was refering to the "layed" as the lays as in hawaii.........not the other laid.

there were lays around the site that night.

Mats Roing said:
We appreciated the fact that we were blessed with such athletic weather ;) .
Hahahaha.....Sounds like I missed a great day on the pressies!....

Good group of hardcore hikers. Awesome pics. Still can't believe it was someone's first ever White Mountain hike and they breezed through it! It was fun to see familiar faces and meet new ones when I joined the party on Sat....

mookie said:
does conor know all the lyrics to slayers reign in blood album yet?

Not sure...but Giggy has taught him to ask some choice questions! :D :D

I do believe that Rebecca gave Conor a red/white/blue "lei" that was from our patriotic hike!!!

It still sounded cute!!! He was having too much fun visiting with all of us! We had fun playing with him too!

giggy said:
Conor was refering to the "layed" as the lays as in hawaii.........not the other laid.
Yeah, right! And Marc Howes really does bushwhack wearing a skin suit! Oh, does he?

-Dr. Wu

SherpaKroto said:
Thanks to all of you for making Ash one happy lady! The thought of spending July 4th weekend alone was none too appealing for her...

Yes, a big thank you from the bottom of my heart to all for rescuing her from her enslavement... :)

I definitely missed out on a great weekend...damn work trip. If the pressie parade is an annual event, I'd love to join next year. Glad to hear that you had fantastic weather for hiking and climbing. Looking forward to hiking with everyone again.

Adventurous said:
If the pressie parade is an annual event, I'd love to join next year.

An annual Pressie Parade could be considered a warm-up party for Barely Live :D

Mats, sweet ass report... sounds like a classic Barnes weekend ++...
...UFC and MH powers combined into one flame? No wonder if felt warm over here that night.
...great turnout for the traverse... NIF's texted pics were awesome!
...And damn, I figured Darlene was an animal, but didn't know she was also an awesome climber :D
...guy, you got one special little dude there

sorry I missed this one, will try to make it to the next :D

Sunday July 6

The fire from the previous night seemed to have heated up the atmosphere considerably so that the morning talks were about which river or lake to hang out at. It was sweltering hot :eek: Also missed to mention that rumors are that Saturday night also included some jumping through the fire.....Unfrozen did some recording I believe.....

Gillina, Barry, Nartreb and I drove to a restaurant somewhere in Gorham for a buffet which was awesome......charming Gillian talked Dr Wu, me and Nartreb into hiking Hight and Carter Dome despite the heat. We took down the giant harem tent and most people packed up and headed for different objectives. Nif and Darlene went on a female only climbing trip. Unfrozen volunteered to take the trash out since somehow we had burned 99% of the wood and there was space for 600 empty beer bottles and cans on the bed.

The 19 mile Brook Th had a few cars on it but we found space for our cars. IT was nice to have some shade heading up Zeta Pass. Found a woman there waiting for her two friends who went up Carter Dome. She explained how to make Japanses pancakes in the woods and we came up with an invention to recycle sweat into drinking water, insect repellant, sunscreen etc. A side invention which came out of this was a new type of hiking device which enables you take hike naked (even in winter) inside of an airbubble. Then you can retrieve your feet and roll-whack down the mountain:D

Mt Hight came up soon and it started to get cloudy. Nartreb went bare-chested as usual (the chest is not an area likely to get frostbite according to DaveBear). Nartreb spent most of the time on the summit documenting insects with his camera. It's quite a variety of them there. I kept eating fir sprouts to get my daily c-vitamin dose. Gillian started to crave gummy bears and chocolate and we headed for Carter Dome and the hut to see if they had some there. No gummy bears and chocolate on Carter Domeso we continued down towards the hut. We stopped to smoke cigar at the viewpoint. The discussion topics here included how to make the cigar burn better......Dr Wu and I thought of the same solution......will not explain it here....

Nice yellow lilys on the pond by the hut. Caretaker wasn't laughing when we asked her what direction Kathadin was. We also met "War Paint", a dude who had spent 96 days on the AT so far......planned to finish in 111.....not too shabby.....after emptying our wallets and the huts inventory of brownies we went down 19-mile brook to the TH and was happy with the loop (which is a perfect hang-over hike). Then we switched clothes and took a swim across the road in Peabody River.......and then off to Mr. Pizza.....did that Taco Pizza ever taste good! Dr Wu went back to BF and Gillian, Nartreb and I went back to Boston after a detour to the Uncommon Man in Lincoln where we met up with Tony (Sven), Nif and Darlene.

Nartreb was DJ'ng in the car on the way home.....and there goes another BF weekend to the history books......

What a great bunch of pictures- totally enjoyable.....and what a day you had !

Beer and IceCream on top ?
I didn't see that in any of my hiking nourishment manuals...must be missing a few pages...