Questions about Greylock

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shewolf

Reaction score
My young nieces will be visiting in June for their 2nd annual "Aunt Di week of fun". The girls range in age from soon to be 7 to 13. They all enjoy the outdoors and I took them hiking last year up in the Adirondacks. Since their last visit I have moved closer to the MA border and was thinking about taking them hiking up Greylock.

I was wondering what kind of hike it would be for them and which trails would be best to take. They are all in pretty good shape (if only I could say the same about me right now) and pretty game to do anything. Typical fearless kids who love getting dirty.

I have been doing some online research on Greylock, but figured first hand knowlege is the best kind to get vs. a brochure. Also, are there any other hikes someone would recommend taking kids on in the area? I know the Adirondacks but am seriously ignorant about western Mass.

I always liked the western approach; the Hopper is a beautiful section of forest and the Roaring Brook Trail really nice.

Mass DOR has a PDF of suggested hikes and #4 is a loop that I've oft wanted to do.

The trails on Greylock are all very well-marked and smooth and none are particularly steep. As long as you don't tack on lots of extra distance, they're all fine for kids that age. If they like adventures, consider the Thunderbolt ski trail: it's a bit steeper, more of a meadow scramble than a hiking trail, but it's also the shortest route.

Thanks for the info. I guess I forgot to ask one other important question...can we take my dog along on the hike. He's a seasoned hiker and while has a great recall, will be onleash with me keeping an eye on the kids...mainly so they don't kill each other, we are talking about 4 girls. ;)

Which is the best trail to take to the summit? I know they would find the war memorial interesting.

Last edited:
The thunderbolt is probably the most direct, the trailhead is kind of a mudpit to get to though so if probably the miata is not the way to get there unless they've fixed it.

I prefer the western approaches, either Roaring Brook or the Hopper, cause you can combine that with hikes to Money Brook Falls or March Cataract falls, Sperry Lookout is really nice...

There are a lot of other nice peaks in the area as well, especially in the southern Taconics. Even closer to Stephentown, like Berlin Mtn is fabulous and has awesome views towards Greylock. Willamstown College owns land north of Rt 2 and petersburg pass that are nice to hike, not hard and has some nice views and interesting things...

Jay

Yes, I think Dogs on leashes are fine. There is no hunting within X feet of the summit but there is hunting along the base. I believe spring turkey season is now over but I can't vouch for that...

Jay

Thanks Jay. I'm thinking of doing Greylock this trip and next year when they come, do both a ADK peak and another Western Mass hike. I guess I picked Greylock b/c of the war memorial and the views of VT, NY and MA. They are very curious about everything. Figured on one full day of hiking/exploring around Greylock and dinner in the area since we'll be packing our lunch up with us.

Thanks for the info on Berlin Mt. Depending on the weather the week they are with me, that might be a hike we'll do if crappy weather is in the forecast and they girls don't want to slug around in the rain for hours on Greylock.

Have only done Greylock once, and it was specifically a "dog hike", sponsored by the NE Newfoundland Club on . We took the Greylock (MA) via Cheshire Harbor Trail on September 29, 2002. From my notes "... with Brutus. In Adams, right up Valley Street (across from Brooks Drug). At T, take left on West Rd then 3rd Right on West Mountain Rd. Approx 2 miles to end of road. About 6 miles RT".

It was great fun. Imagine about a dozen 150lb goofy Newfs, ambling along trails. It was a leisurely day.

I've seen unleashed dogs on the Greylock trails every time I've been there.
Not sure if the regs call for them to be leashed everywhere or not.
They would need to be leashed for sure on any trails as they near campgrounds, near and across the road and on the summit.

I think there may be signs at most of the trailheads... I know the Hopper Trail does at the end of Hopper road, but that is because the end of the hopper trail/Money brook trail is an easement on private property as it goes through a farm with cows.

Jay

I always leash Bookah near roads, barbed or electrified fencing, houses, farm animals, other dogs around homes, and especially lunchtime.
Been on Greylock a bunch of times and trying to think if I've ever seen a dog on a leash other than the roads, camp or summit area.
I'll need to pay attention next time.

I did this hike several years ago from the NNE (no map or recollection for the trail name, but there was indeed private property and a bit of a road-walk ). I mention it because I just happened to happen upon a guided tour by a Williams College professor and a forest ranger who discussed the cool history of the trail, including a HDThoreau connection and several cellar holes. It was a pleasant and progressive walk, not difficult at all. Watch for nettles and hobblebush, long pants may be in order! I also don't recall there being a good water source, so you may need to bring a bit.

The War Memorial is also cool, with a political back-story that (I believe) you can read about right there.

Good luck with the weather! Views were excellent from the tower the day I was there. I almost saw Russia!

Thanks for all the info. Good to know all this info. Usually I hike w/ Phoenix off-leash because he sticks close when he has his pack on and has a great recall. However, with four girls to run herd on, I'm thinking I don't want to worry about keeping an eye on him at the same time. He's a german shepherd and most non-dog folks tend to be a bit nervous when they see him. Little do they know, he'd love to make them his new BFF.

This is really sounding like a hike the girls will enjoy. Heck, me too for that matter!

Imagine about a dozen 150lb goofy Newfs, ambling along trails. It was a leisurely day.

That's one way to turn a nice dry trail into a mud pit. I bet a dozen newfs can leave quite a trail of drool!

I saw my first newf ever on the top of Mt. Greylock back in the early 90s. I've been in love with the breed ever since that day.

Not to squash enthusiasm, but have everyone do a thorough deer tick check afterwards, even if you have applied a deterent. :eek:

Not to squash enthusiasm, but have everyone do a thorough deer tick check afterwards, even if you have applied a deterent. :eek:

That's a given. My BF pulled a deer tick off of me a week ago. Taking a trip to the doctor tomorrow to check out the bite. I'm sure she'll put me on doxy as a precaution. :(

That's good, but remember that sun sensitivity can be a problem with Doxy. I was on it for a few months a year and a half ago and got a "leatherman" nose and forehead, despite sunscreen. Six months after I was off it, I got a burn while sailing and the skin came off so that I was bleeding. What a sight, and no one got a picture of my bandaged nose and forehead. :p

P.S. I rarely burn.

Ugh, I haven't been on antibiotics for years (after a root canal). I completely forgot about the sun. Crap... I'm not a religious sunscreen user (yes, my bad)...

Hopefully you won't be on it for long. I was on it for about six months, then was switched to two other medications for six months. I have just started taking the last two medications again after positive sensitive test results and a six month rest from medications.

Best wishes...

Man, that is a LONG time to be on an antibiotic! They can be extremely rough on the liver depending on what you are taking.

I think it's a two to three week regimine on doxy for Lyme if caught early enough.