Save the best for last?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnL said:
...Carrigain's summit view is quite nice, I view it as artificial because you are on a 20 foot high platform above the trees. Without the platform, you could be on Tecumseh.

Too funny, John!!! I've had one plan all along, but had recently considered changing plans....

I plan on finishing on Tecumseh. Really. :)

I'd thought about switching it over to Carrigain. Two problems, tho: 1) to make it "easy" it needs to be done before the road closes; and 2) it has no signifigance for me.

Tecumseh, as much as it would seem like a let down to many, is my hometown hike. And it's not too taxing. As I've mentioned before, I have every intention of hiking a chilled bottle of champagne to the top to celebrate.

And in a bit of irony, Moosilauke was my first. I'd highly recommend it. It inspired me to start on this little venture. Approaching the wind-swept summit crossing a sea of waving grass awed me. I absolutely loved it. However, I would not recommend the Benton Trail unless you are hiking in less than prime condition. It is truly moderate. As in too moderate. I hate to say the word "boring", but it just sort of plods along, with only one view until tree line. Not complaining, tho. I'm eternally grateful that we kept plodding along that day.

Last edited:
I finished up my regular 48 on Carrigain in the Summer of 2002. Two things stand out for me about this hike:
My father, who's been slowed down a bit by age, did the hike with me and the weather couldn't have been better--no clouds and 360 degree views from the tower.

For my Winter 48, I chose to finish up on Jefferson this past March by taking the way in through the Great Gulf and spending the night by myself in the wilderness. No views at all up above, but to me the complete solitude made it a memorable finish.

I personally don't see any difference what peak someone finishes on. For me completing the lists was one heaping, accumulated memory over the course of a few years, where every peak had its own significance.

Last Peak

My husband and I finished on Madison, as we ended up not making it to the summit as expected a few years ago when we did the rest of the Presis in a two-day trip. So after that, we decided it would be a fitting one for us to finish up for 4000 footers on, since it had spurned us on that first attempt :)

We finished this past October, on a gorgeous Indian summer day where we sat on the top in our t-shirts. There were a bunch of other people up there, but we didn't care. We were just psyched to have finished and to be out enjoying a wonderful day!

I think of your choices, Carrigain is the best one, but really, whatever mountain you finish on, you still finished and that's what counts!

Now that we've finished one list, we've started in on the 100 highest... Always nice to know there are lots of lists out there to keep you out on the trails!

Good luck and have fun!
-Danielle :)

"Without the platform, you could be on Tecumseh"

There isn't enough alcohol on the planet to ever let me confuse the summit of Carrigain with Tecumseh.;)