Snow in Pemi and Franconia?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

I saw/read that Mt Washington just got some new snow over the past few days, and that it was a "wet" snow. Was there any accumulation on the high peaks in the Pemi and Franconia Ridge? Thanks.

was up there a few days ago and did not see any new acum, but there was still small patches of rotten stuff

I bet you places over 5,000 feet recieved some heavy wet stuff, as well as normal higher elevation upslope areas. Chances are though, temps were just a little too warm for heavy accumulation. Suffice to say though, its gonna be sopping wet late this week up there as everything begins to rapidly melt and run off.

grouseking

I'm heading there Monday, I suspect that just below Little Haystackhas some & just in the trees on North Lafayette on the Garfield Trail & the Twinway bewteen South Twin & Guyot.

(I'm hoping not much around Garfield, I've done that 10 Memorial Day's ago with more - I hope - snow then & that the Garfield Ridge trail is ugly in rotten snow.)

Michelle I think is headed up F-Ridge Thursday so stay tuned for a Trail report....

Yes the pemi got snow especially the Bonds, Twins, Willey Ranges. Anything above 4000 feet got snow, more towards the eastern side. Mount Washington has recorded 16 inches. Reports show even places like the southern whites got a little. It will melt fast though, probably by thursday there wont be any new left except for above 5000 feet. This is our last taste of winter until October... -Mattl

http://www.geocities.com/mattlacroix4/great_outdoors.html

I was up there yesterday and there is definitely snow. Near the top of Falling Waters there is about 4 inches, but very easy to walk on. The ridge was very windy, so it's tough to say how much was up there.

Mon/Tue, above 2500-3000 feet the snow starts, up to about 6 inches in places from Galehead to Greenleaf. deeper in places where new snow fell on old snow.

dreamstream,

How much old snow between Galehead & Lafayette? Heading there on Monday & while I'm confident I'll get new info here on F-Ridge, few will hit where you were. When I did it 10 years ago, the old snow made the trip around Garfield (except for the view) miserable.

Thanks,

Mike, there were only short sections of snow and ice on the down slope from Lafayette after (east) of the Skookumchuck trail, but there was enough snow to post hole knee deep a couple times. Also some ice on the east side of Garfield just after the summit. Not a big deal but just took a little time to get past. Took us about 9 hours to go from Greenleaf to Gailhead, but we were moving slow, a couple others took a bit over 8 hours.

Trail was very wet in places.

was on twinway today from zealand hut to zealand mtn. SLUSH city. will probably be huge pools of standing water soon. nikwax them boots!

Thanks Dreamstream, that's a lot less than 1996 when on that stretch last. I'll even be happier if it keeps melting. :D