Stepping up on Whiteface 8/5/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curious1

Reaction score
On Wednesday 8/5/09 I joined a group led by Betsy up Mt. Whiteface on a warm humid day. Heading up Blueberry Ledge was beautiful and there were even a few blueberries left. I had the feeling we would run into people on the trail because there were a couple cars in the lot when I arrived during the moonlit night (not that any of us ever sleep in our cars at trailheads). :) As our group rounded a corner we met a group of four men who had huge packs on and lots of supplies loaded up on their backs. I was pleased that the group I was with is as curious as I am and asked what the men were up to. Two men had went up to help carry down supplies with the two men that had worked on building stone steps. They told us of boulders they moved with pulleys and how they have been up there for weeks. We thanked them all, I snapped a couple of photos and told them to check VFTT for the trip report.

I think the excitement of seeing the new steps got us all going faster up the steep section even though we were all dripping wet. Making the way up their new steps was great, nice flat huge stones placed beautifully. Took lots of shots of their handiwork and the final one is the trail after their steps. The final shot shows how I'm sure the trail looked before all their work. I am always impressed on the trails in the Whites, of all the work that goes into maintaining them and preventing erosion so it is nice to be able to thank the people that do that work. Most of the trail work being done doesn't get a thank you or a trip report but it is appreciated by all of us who love the mountains and the trails that get us to them.

Check out the pictures here:http://picasaweb.google.com/cathymerr/WhitefaceStairs#

I saw this work in progress on July 25th and it looked like a major construction effort. They had a thick rope and "comealong" connected to trees about 50 feet apart and you could see they had moved some serious boulders. The area looked pretty trashed from rock moving and stomping around...it looks pretty well cleaned up in your pictures.

Thanks for the "follow-up"...it reminds us how much work goes into the building of the stairs that we barely notice until they aren't there. And thanks to the crew for doing it and cleaning up nicely!!!:)