Team Dom attempts Denali May 21 - June 10th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just in Anchorage. They have a great weather forcast for the mountain.

Finally heard from Team Dom a few minutes ago, very short call.

They sound tired, but in good spirits and still feeling strong as a whole.

They took a needed rest day at 14,200 and today climbed to 16,200, near the Upper Peters Glacier and cached some of their stuff, then headed up to 17,200 to drop more gear.

They are now back at 14,200 and trying to decide about where to camp tonight. It has been a hard day for sure, and some are ready to rest, some are ready to continue. A group decision will be made and with any luck, I will get another call.

They had to climb over Washburn's Thumb to get to 17,200, from the maps I have it looks pretty intimidating, heck, the whole thing does!

They reported that the weather has been beautiful, but they have run into a bit more ice than they thought they would. Luckily they all travel very well prepared!

As I said, SHORT call, every one wants to use the phone to talk to loved ones.

I am hoping for continued good weather, spirits and strength levels staying high, and a safe journey down!

Go TEAM DOM!

Also, hoping the phone keeps working so I can get more updates! ;)

Last edited:
Got a VERY short voice mail from the team, saying they were now at 17,200 camp, it was very tough, and they are tired. The message cut off.

The 'traditional' way to summit is to do it from this camp, then return either to this camp or keep going to 14,200. As with everything, it is weather dependant.

The schedule they are on gives them the next 4 days for attempts to summit. According to NOAA weather is expected to head in on Tuesday.
This allows them from anytime this evening to somethime on Tuedsay AM to attempt a summit if it seems safe and the right thing to do.

Having had the privelege of doing a winter overnight and hike of Mt. Abrham in Maine with 5 of these 8 climbers, I can tell you that they are NOT risk takers. Their goal is to climb the mountain, but only if the mountain is 'willing' to be climbed. They all have people and lives they want to return to, and know the summit is optional, getting down safe is mandatory.

Sure, it would be great for all of them to reach their goals of the summit. But greatter still will be for Lloyd to hold his newborn child, Frodo to watch his son's next baseball game & daughters next recital, for Go and Vicki to go for a kayak after work, for Mats to finally plan that dance party on Carrigan and for Arm to play bass in the band. (OK, Maybe Sheprp K will stop threatening me now... :rolleyes: )

Ok, I am wishing for another phone call and a more coherent update, and I will let everyone know as soon as I do!

Still hoping for low winds and good weather!

;)

Thanks for the update. I am really happy that they are going for a summit bid this time from 17.2 rather than from 14.2, as Frodo, John, and Ben successfully pulled off in 2004. No views from the top in 2004, as the weather closed in on them then. Hoping that the weather holds the next 48 hours.

Thanks for the updates.
I meet Frodo and Arm once, and it was this year in the dark at the Adirondack Loj parking it was very early in the morning, it was for "Forty-six in February" or "Dominic Day".
GO! GO! GO! guys. :)
Bonne chance :)

Just received another QUICK call from the team. They sound tired, the air is THIN, but they made it to 17,200 LAST night. If the weather is behind them they MAY try for a summit bid in the next 24 hours. Time is kind of irrelevent out there, in the land of the midnight sun. They said a LOT of teams are there and making bids for the summit.

They are keeping close track of the weather and each other, and will make a 'group' decision.

They sound a smidge tired, but that is to be expected.

I will certainly keep them in my thoughts and will breath a HUGE sigh of relief when I hear they are safely back in Talkeetna, or Anchorage! Showered and liquored up!

:rolleyes:

Go Team Dom!
Nat and I are sending positive vibes their way.
Looking forward to hooking with the team on Kahiltna Glacier later this week.

Jean said:
Nat and I are sending positive vibes their way.
Looking forward to hooking with the team on Kahiltna Glacier later this week.
Hey guys, keep an eye out for me! I'll be on the glacier starting June 6th.

Been thinking about Team Dom everyday..sending my best to them!

leaf said:
Hey guys, keep an eye out for me! I'll be on the glacier starting June 6th.

Been thinking about Team Dom everyday..sending my best to them!

We'll be right behind you. Planned arrival on the glacier is for the 7th. See ya there.
;)

Me to Giggy, warm and strong postitive vibes.
I guess the climb to 17,200 took a lot of work and effort.
Lets hope they got some rest and are feeling STRONG today!

;)

Team Dom...you rock!!!!

Christine thanks sooooooooo much for the updates.

You are so close!!! Good Luck guys!!! Miss you!!!

See you soon.

Hugs,

Mtnmama