Team Dom attempts Denali May 21 - June 10th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go team DOM, and Nat, Jean and Leaf.
Hope everyone have a safe and successful trip. Can't wait to hear all about it when they all return.

Sending positive vibes and prayers.... Thanks for the updates, eagerly waiting for the next installment....

Ok, no 'REAL' news. but I just got two calls from the team, which immediatly went to missed call on my phone.

I know they said they did NOT bring the phone charger or little solar panel to 17,200, so maybe that is why...

Anyway, they did TRY to call twice, and with any luck they will TRY again!

:)

If they did get through to someone else, please, feel free to post away!

;)

Ok, just got two more calls from the team.

The first call said, well, we are all alive, then the phone died.
OOOOO.....kay.... Not what I wanted to hear.

Minutes later, felt like an hour, it rang again.

Only one summited.

Jeff and Frodo turned around at 18,400.

Hamtero, GO, Mats & Stinky Feet turned around at 19,900.

That leaves Arm and Rob, and I am REALLY REALLY sorry, but the reception was AWFUL, and I don't know which one turned at 19,900 and which one summited...

:(

They PROMISED they would try to call later, they are all napping now, and will try to get to either 14,200 or maybe even 11,200 tonight, depending on how they are all feeling.

They said the weather was REALLY bad...

But, they are all resting and warm for now.

I will post again as soon as I hear more news, and after the 14,200 camp they will have the Solar Cell, so with any luck I will be able to have a longer conversation & know for SURE who summited (I AM WICKED SORRY ABOUT THAT) and get a better idea of how everyone is doing.

The really good news here is that they are safe, and warm right now.

;)

Last edited:
no need to be sorry - the fact that I know they are alive is good enough for me. :) I got good freinds on that trip and want them to come home safe :)

I appreciated the updates big time.

fecking hardcore.....

Last edited:
Yvon...thanks. Positively beautiful slideshow of Denali.
You did good! :)

wow. glad they are all safe and making the descent now.

Excited to know they are all safe and heading down!

Am wishing a safe return after an amazing adventure to all of them. The summit was secondary to the experience.

Can't wait to know they're down and eating big juicy steaks & pounding down some beers!

Last edited:
I mentioned Ed Viesturs before, and will again - getting down is the MOST important part of the climb...glad to hear they're OK and coming down.

I flew over Denali two days ago on the way to Japan, and couldn't see anything, and it was pretty rough in the air there...I was worried the weather might be a problem for the team.

Thank you for all your updates...

Scott

The conditions would have to have been brutal to keep this "rock star" team from the summit. It's amazing how quickly they got in position, too. I've been checking with Arm's mother at the YMCA every day for any extra news. It's been such a thrill for all of us to watch the progress of this great group of hikers and climbers. Thanks, Chinook, for the great updates and we're all so glad that everyone is safe.

Darl58 said:
Excited to know they are all safe!
Safe so far...

Lots of accidents occur on the way down.

Lucky Laura said:
It's amazing how quickly they got in position, too.
I'll admit that I was a bit concerned that they might be ascending too quickly to acclimatize adequately. (Obviously I wasn't there--it just seemed a bit fast from here.)

Bad weather on the way up can be a blessing--it can force you to spend an extra day or three in camp acclimatizing.

chinooktrail:
Thanks for the reports.

Glad to hear the team is ok so far--hope they make it the rest of the way out safely.

Doug

Last edited:
Glad they are all safe. That's the important part. I'd been watching the weather out there as best I could from here and knew it was going to be tricky getting a good window this week. It looks like wind was going to be picking up and some snow coming in.

Just being there I'm sure was a great experience and I'm sure they've had a good time summit or no...

Nice that someone was able to summit but much better news that they are all healthy and on the way back down! No matter who summited I'm sure that they all realize it was a team effort and no one could make the journey alone. Well done team Dom! Now get your butts home so we can celebrate!!! ;)

Thank you Chinook, you doing a great job.
To bad they had bad weather. But the most important thing is that they are all safe.

BoB is extremely confident they will succeed, given the strength of the team members and also more importantly the mental fortitude and personalities of those involved....

I will be happy when I know they are all safe back in Anchorage.

I am celebrating today's news with a slice of cheese pizza and a few 'Flying Dog Double Dog Double Pale Ales'. YIKES! 10.5% ALC/VOL?!

I think they will understand.

Oh, and Giggy, wanted to let you know I texed the team about your generous offer and they are all excited about it :rolleyes: , even Sue! :eek:

You just never know...

Good luck with that. ;)

Maybe some of them will still be hanging out in Alaska when I get there to hike the migthy Table Top with me, or maybe even for a run up Mount Marathon.

Or the most daring of all can join me in a trip up to Stuckagain Heights and see my old digs... :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I think this team is amazing, a wonderful group of 'Rock Stars' who worked together and trained hard for this. The first question I will ask when and if they call me again will be if Dom's Ice Axe made it to the summit. A brave and wonderful tribute to a life all to short.

I never met Dominick, and have not met Neil YET, but I feel that I share a few things with him, and hope to do a hike with him in the near future...

The second thing i will ask is WHO summited, DOH! What an idiot I am to not get the nailed down right away, I was more concerned with knowing that EVERYONE was ok, and together again and safe in the camp.

Keep those positive thoughts and wishes coming folks, they are only .67732 of the way there.

I dare Doug Paul to arguee with me over this one! :rolleyes:

Hopefully they will be posting themselves soon, and posting a TON of pictures!!!

:)

Chinook, With all the stress and excitement you've been enduring you deserve more than a few pale ales! Thanks for being a part of team Dom and keeping us all well informed and on the edge of our seats! Iceaxe to the top or not, great night to raise a glass to Dominique! ;)