Ticks....they're back!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatlander_SG

Reaction score
Ticks are out in Massachusetts! I just found a tick attached to my Golden Retriever, Summit's, forehead. We hike pretty much on a daily basis at Mt. Wachusett in Princeton, MA and this is the first one I have found this season. A few warm days and out they come......

Ginny

Yeah, I live in an area w/ lots of them as well. Just curious, the one you took off your dog-was it a deer tick or one of the other kind? I believe deer ticks are the only Lyme Disease carriers, although the other types may carry other nasty stuff.

Matt

Matt,

It looked like the American dog tick to me, small and black, with flat looking sides. I read that this type of tick is not thought to carry Lyme Disease. I'd prefer not to start using Frontline on my dog so early in the season but I guess I will have to...to keep her safe.

Ginny

According to Sherpette (Associates Degree in Small Animal Science), she states that Ticks are in a "dormant stage" in winter but never truly inactive. They are oftne found on pets throughout at winter at local animal hospitals. But yes... they are definately back in full action. Watchout for them Lyme disease carryin deer ticks.

Dog ticks are not known to carry lyme. However, the nymph stage of the dog tick is virtually indistinguishable from the adult deer tick. mcorsar is correct in that many tick species may carry other nasty things to which both humans and dogs are susceptible.

Our vet started our Lab pup on Frontline on 3/1.
Does anyone have the scoop on this treatment? About a week ago, I found an attached tick on her head. She's also had the Lyme vaccine.

Frontline..

From Sherpette;

"Frontline is a once a month topical that is applied directly to the skin on the back of the neck. Your dog should not be bathed for a week after application and avoid petting in that area for at least a couple days. This treatment combined with the lyme vaccine gives your dog the best protection against ticks and lymes disease.

However....

It is still possible for ticks to attach to your dogs skin. Frontline will kill an attached tick within 24 hours of attachment. It should also be know, that as a veterinary technician I have seen animals that recieve both frontline and the vaccine contract lymes disease regardless."

I haven't researched tick preventives or lyme vaccines since last year, so my information may be out of date. With that said, here goes:

I don't like the idea of using or keeping chemicals on either me or my dog but I did start using Frontline on my dog after he was diagnosed with an inactive lyme infection last year. I chose Frontline after reviewing a few studies. It sounded like the safest for the dog. A few days prior to reapplying the Frontline, I give him a bath in hopes of washing off whatever is left of the last application. I doubt this accomplishes anything since it isn't supposed to wash off.

If you use either lyme vaccine, your dog will test positive for a lyme infection. As far as I am aware the Western Blot is the only test that can distinguish between the vaccine and an infection.

If you hike in the CT river valley in CT or MA I found a few articles last year that said lyme is considered endemic in those areas.

Looks like SJ and I are crossing replies

He is correct. Frontline is not a 100% sure defense against lyme. What it does do is break the life cycle. Your dog may be the unfortunate last recipient of that tick, but at least the tick will not live to keep spreading the disease. There are other spot-on preventives out there. If what you want is protection from ticks, read the labels. Not all are effective against ticks.

Neither the Fort Dodge nor Merial vaccine has 100% efficacy. Neither can eliminate a current lyme infection. In the case of an existing lyme infection, both are equally as effective in prevent a new lyme infection.

My hope is that by using a three pronged approach that combines being constantly aware of ticks, vaccinating, and using Frontline, that my dog will be safer. Probably me too, since I'm exposed to the same ticks as he.

I use the same three pronged approach that Dugan mentioned. I think that is the best we can do for ourselves and our beloved 4 legged hiking companions. An acquaintance of mine came down with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tick bite and was in intensive care for 21 days. He almost died. He suffers permanent neurological damage. This is serious business.

Lots of good preventative information provided by everyone in this thread!

Ginny

Yes they are out . my folks found some on thir dogs yesterday. WQe both have a tick romoval device that cost around $5 . It looks like a small spoon with a V notch in it . It works very well and lets you keep the digusting tick so if you do have irritation or reddness and swelling around the bite you can take it to your MD or vet if you pet has a tick bite and you are concerned . If you are bitten and do devlope a bulls eye like rash go to your MD ASAP .
I was bitten by one last fall and with in 24 hours i was very ill and had to go to te ER they did all sorts of tests and think it was from the tick they carry all kinds of nasty stuff depending on the pervious host. I have heard them called the perfect vector . ( carrier) of many diseases and infections.

OK any one know thier ppurpose for existing . I cannot think of any thing that eats them or that the benift plants in any way. they are just plain disgusting things .

Yes they are back. I have 3 goldens and over the last 2 weeks have removed numerous between the 3 dogs, even pulled a fully engorged one this morning.
I live in southern New Hampshire and my property backs into conservation land loaded with deer. Seems every time I take the dogs in the woods behind my house they pick up some unwanted hitch hikers
Watch for ticks on yourself as well as your 4 legged friends. I was bitten by a tick last year while hiking in the whites and contracted lyme diease, trust me it is no fun.
Happy Trails!

RGF1 - I too prefer the spoon shaped with the v notch. Something to avoid when removing ticks is squeezing them, which may result in injecting contaminants carried by the tick into the current host. Not squeezing is virtually impossible with any tick removal tool except the one you describe. I've had a few, both metal and plastic. I prefer the plastic because the metal occasionally left the tick's head.

Dugan said:
RGF1 - I too prefer the spoon shaped with the v notch. Something to avoid when removing ticks is squeezing them, which may result in injecting contaminants carried by the tick into the current host. Not squeezing is virtually impossible with any tick removal tool except the one you describe. I've had a few, both metal and plastic. I prefer the plastic because the metal occasionally left the tick's head.
Ironically i had to learn that th hard way . Had I known about the tick remover I might have saved my self a trip to the ER and a wek of being miserbale. and taking antibiotics that send you running ot the bathroom ever so often. .
The best part is I got it from my vet for free after bringing my cat in for her check up shortly after my adventure in the ER and overnight stay . I mentioned tick and he gave me the thing i now have a few one for the pack on at home and one in my truck . . I hate those uglythings .

What has changed?

I thought ticks lived in another continent when I was growing up. I never knew they were a problem til my teens. I never saw one until I was about thirty.

Where did they come from?

Have we lost a bird or other species that used to prey on ticks and keep their numbers down?

Very curious...

Mike

rondak46 said:
I thought ticks lived in another continent when I was growing up. I never knew they were a problem til my teens. I never saw one until I was about thirty.

Where did they come from?

Have we lost a bird or other species that used to prey on ticks and keep their numbers down?

Very curious...

Mike
I asked a wildlife biologist if ticks had predators this he was not sur if any thing did feed on them . to my knowldge nothing does I can see why . Unless they are engored they are nearly invisable and would make a hard meal to find if some thing was so inclined to eat the disgusting things .
As Dugan Said ticks carry all sorts of nasty stuff. as i found out . take care in removeing them and if you have any swelling or redness near the bite see your MD the MD should perscribe a antibiotic.