Time Coming To An End For My 13 Year Old Great Pyrenees

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I realize this question is well off topic for this forum but with so many avid dog lovers on the VFTT I felt like I could ask it and get honest and compassionate feedback. Should the moderators of the VFTT decide to remove this post I totally understand and no offense whatsoever will be taken. Responses via private message would also be fine if people are not comfortable replying in public. Your replies will be kept in confidence. I apologize in advance if this question is offensive to anyone in any way.

After 13 wonderful years it is that time in my dogs life that I need to have her put down. I have been dreading that last trip to the vet, particularly because my dog has hated these trips since she was a puppy when she had a piece of furniture fall on her leg. She knows exactly where we are when we get there and she is usually pulling hard in the other direction. The thought of her last moments being spent shaking in fear and discomfort at the vet are unbearable to me. I'm wondering if there is some humane (and legal) way of handling this in the comfort of my own home where the dog feels safe and comfortable. I am not a gun owner and can't imagine doing that anyway. I'm wondering more if there are medications that could be used (i.e. like sleeping pills or prescription products of some sort or I don't know what). I did some research online and the results seem pretty mixed and unconclusive. I haven't discussed with my vet yet. Even if there were something I could use to make the dog fall asleep for an extended period of time so I could transport to vet and have finished there (I only live about 2 miles from our current vet) without her knowledge.

If anyone knows of a way of handling this that is reliable and will not create any added suffering for my dog I would like to hear about it. Ultimately I will do the right thing and bring her to the vet if that's how it has to be but I'm hoping I have another option for a more graceful exit. Probably just desperately grabbing at straws here but I figured I have to at least try. Thanks for any advice anyone can share.

You should ask your vet if they would come to your home. I know some do. My heart goes out to you. My beloved cat died this fall. I still miss her dearly.
My best, Dave

You would be surprised at the number of vets that make house calls. It might not be YOUR vet, but one will. Especially rural vets who are accustomed to visiting farms.

Definitely ask your vet to do it at your home. If he/she doesn't, I am sure he/she could recommend someone. I had to have my Goldie put down 10 years ago. It was done at Tufts and I still regret not taking her home and having it done in comfortable surroundings.

I can't imagine having to ponder thatr thought. My deepest sorrows for you. I will agree that you should find a vet to come to your house. Especially since your pup dislikes the vet visits. I wouldn't try it on my own as there are to many uncertainties.

We've owned dogs for more than 35 years and we've been through this circumstance many times. My thoughts go out to you.

As you know, this is a dog owner's last responsibility. Find a vet to do it at home – you do not want to attempt this yourself.

Having gone through this for the first time a year and a half ago, you have my condolences. I had to have it done at the emergency Vet, because in my case, my dog just got sick and went that fast. I was just thankful I could be there to hold her. When the time comes just don't stop talking to her, praise her to the end. I Would think doing it yourself would not be the way to go, a Vet at home might be best, but having a professional is the way to go imo.

My heart aches for you. Our vet came to our home for the end of our beloved Springer, Annabelle's life. She was terrified of the vet's office and we didn't want her scared in her last hour.

Find a vet that will come to your home, as we did. We also delivered him for cremation ourselves. It provided some extra time to say goodbye, once he was no longer in pain. My best to you...

I double the sentiment that many vets do make house calls now.. my vet has a cat only hospital but she makes house calls for cats or dogs.. (I have three cats)...

Jay

Talk to your vet. Call the office and ask for a phone consult. The vet can give you some options of mild sedation at home before you go to the office, or be very generous with sedation once you get there and before the actual procedure is done so your loved one will be completely comfortable, sleeping, snuggled up to you, snoring, even. Please, Call, Discuss your concerns. My vet's office is over the top sensitive at end-of-life issues, and it never gets easier for them, either. I hate to count the times they've helped mine across the Bridge, and I'm going to be there again, myself, sooner than I want to be.

It is totally OK to want a peaceful and dignified passing that respects your love, care, and shared life , and I can't imagine any vet being so cold as to dismiss your concerns. There are options for comfort and respect, and some of those options do make it easier for those you need to help you with this. Please, call your vet.

Breeze

There is a wonderful book by Jon Katz called 'Going Home - Finding Peace When Pets Die'. I highly recommend.

When our Lab, Bookah, died in October, a photo remembrance of her life on Facebook, and the photos and comments of others who remembered her helped us and those who knew her through a very difficult time.

Agree with the house call, I'd think you'd be able to find a vet in your area who does house calls as some of them must also have equine and bovine patients too.

Thanks. Looks like my vet does do house calls in certain circumstances and they are going to accommodate me. Sounds like the best option.

Condolences on this difficult journey, I agree get a phone consult and see if the vet will come to the house. Up here there are "mobile" vet services that will do just that. Best of luck.

It is the last loving gift you will be able to give. Still hurts like hell for us, but our pets don't have to share that. Glad to know your vet is helping you. Sorry for the need.

Breeze

Such a hard decision to make, but you know when it's time. :( Sorry you have to go through this, good luck with everything coming your way.