Vicks for bugs?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystaljc

Reaction score
I heard that Vicks vapor rub wards off bugs like misquitos. Just putting a little bit on your kneck or wrists is supposed to be better than bug spray and less hazardous. Has anyone heard this or tried it?

crystaljc said:
I heard that Vicks vapor rub wards off bugs like misquitos. Just putting a little bit on your kneck or wrists is supposed to be better than bug spray and less hazardous. Has anyone heard this or tried it?
Sounds to me like you want to feed the bugs... :)

There are many rumors of various substances repelling bugs. Many of the reports are untrue or of substances which are not as effective as DEET.

DEET is provern effective and safe if used properly:

Abstract:
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content...4982956791_6411&FIRSTINDEX=0&journalcode=nejm

Full article:
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content...IRSTINDEX=0&journalcode=nejm&journalcode=nejm
Note comments on safety near the end.

Excerpt:
"Despite the substantial attention paid by the lay press every year to the safety of DEET, this repellent has been subjected to more scientific and toxicologic scrutiny than any other repellent substance. The extensive accumulated toxicologic data on DEET have been reviewed elsewhere. DEET has a remarkable safety profile after 40 years of use and nearly 8 billion human applications. Fewer than 50 cases of serious toxic effects have been documented in the medical literature since 1960, and three quarters of them resolved without sequelae. Many of these cases of toxic effects involved long-term, heavy, frequent, or whole-body application of DEET. No correlation has been found between the concentration of DEET used and the risk of toxic effects. As part of the Reregistration Eligibility Decision on DEET, released in 1998, the Environmental Protection Agency reviewed the accumulated data on the toxicity of DEET and concluded that "normal use of DEET does not present a health concern to the general U.S. population." When applied with common sense, DEET-based repellents can be expected to provide a safe as well as a long-lasting repellent effect. Until a better repellent becomes available, DEET-based repellents remain the gold standard of protection under circumstances in which it is crucial to be protected against arthropod bites that might transmit disease."

DEET may be applied to skin and/or clothing. It is a solvent and, particularly in high concentrations, can damage some plastics.

Picardin-based repellents have just been introduced to the US market. Performance appears to be similar to DEET of a similar concentration.

Permetherin is a contact insecticide which is applied to clothing. (It is not effective on skin.) It is best applied at home and lasts 2 weeks or so.

I use permetherin on my clothing and 20-30% DEET on skin if needed.

Doug

Last edited:
crystaljc said:
Yeah But Off Stinks So Bad It Gags Me.
Possioble solutions:
* DEET
- Use lotion rather than spray.
- Try a lower concentration (20-30% is adequate).
- Try a different brand.
* Try Picardin (found in Cutter Advanced).
* Use permetherin (no smell once it dries). Reduces the need for DEET/Picardin.
* Keep moving and only stop in windy places--the bugs can only fly so fast.
* Wear light colored clothing. (Dark colors are supposed to attract mosquitoes.)
* Don't wear anthing scented.
* Wear a head net, bug shirt, and/or bug pants.
* Only hike after the first hard frost--kills most bugs. (Winter is even better.)
* Stay indoors.

Or
* Learn to tolerate the bugs.

Doug

Last edited:
Consumer Report just rated a lemon-eucalyptus repellent pretty highly. Might make you bear-bait, however.

And then there's aways "Skin so Soft", which I find repells most humans as well as bugs.

cb

Hey Pete - How's a dangerous guy like you get two green squares?

Last edited:
Repel Lemon Eucalyptus works pretty well. Use the tube,not the spray-the spray pump breaks instantly.
Smell is a little intense,but the stuff works.
Just don't rub this stuff in your eyes,or around your mouth-YOW! :eek:

I bring my girlfriend on every hike. Bugs feast on her instead of me. :D

Seriously, I don't know about Vicks but garlic pills have worked best for me.

Bugs won't be around to much more in the white's after this weekend, temps low to mid 30's forcasted, gee no bugs no tourist, dosen't get any better. :p
104 more days till winter :eek:

As for me, I wouldn't want to cover my body in vaporub.

I use deet for most of my body, however, I have observed a change in my metabolic rate when I use the 95% stuff on my forehead and sweat into my eyes. The data shows that deet is nasty and should not be allowed to enter via mucous membranes.

So, I use deet everywhere but above mouth nose and eyes. A few dabs behind the ears and on the neck don't seem to be a problem Usually mosquitos are not a problem on the face, but those damn backflies are pretty annoying.

I have used vaporub around on my upper face. I'd like to think that it helps and I really do think it makes a difference. Of course you need to have a fair amount on. Not sure if the bugs are repelled by the oils or the tackiness. Maybe I should try petroleum jelly to compare. Plus it's nice to walk around with breathing clearly.

Also have used skin so soft with good results but, for me, it only works for black flies, for about 20 minutes, when not moving, and when not sweating. Very restrictive criteria that happens to include my lunch break.