Volunteer Pemi Bridge Work Site Clean Up Planning Thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sabrina,

Erin has some pictures of the bridge he just posted on a Facebook link to his site. There are both before and after pics that show the construction and the piles left there. Doing conservative estimates of the construct of the 180 foot long bridge and tallying up the weight it's nearly 6 tons!:eek: Even if you deduct 25% for weathering reducing the weight and errors on my part on the sizes it's still at least 4 1/2 tons. So at 100lb pack loads ten people would have to make nine trips each. Or one hundred people each make a 90lb trip. This also does not take into consideration any of the steel or hardware. I assumed (12) 6" underside cross braces, (48) 4" uprights, 3"x4" top rails, 2"x4" mid rails, 3"x3" toekicks, a 1 1/2"x36" deck and just two 8"x8" full length carriers. Logistically speaking this is even more trips than what I had estimated from previous pics for horse hauling. Although backpacking it out in sturdy packs would be a valiant effort it will be tough to make a dent in it that way. Just one crippling injury would be one too many in my opinion and could easily happen to a person with a heavy pack load coming out over the Lincoln Woods railroad ties! If there is a push to get this done sooner than winter they will need to be more open minded to using wheels. If it waits until winter they will need to be more open minded to use of beasts of burden and dealing with the "exhaust" or we will be looking at this on the landscape for many years to come! Sorry to give this a serious perspective but it is what it is!

Here is a link to Erin Donovan's pictures and thanks Erin: http://scenicnh.photoshelter.com/ga...6H2453STCFE/I00008z_VeRlLXMA/P0000fALtX5YEGuY

Dave Bear

In a couple of your posts in this thread you've mentioned how having pictures would be helpful (or something similar to that). Just in case you missed it, here's another thread containing a video and some photos taken about 3 weeks ago. http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40583. If you've already seen it, sorry for wasting your time, maybe I misunderstood.

Thanks for posting Erin's photos. Some of that debris looks familiar, some doesn't. Maybe some stuff has already been removed???

Hi all
On vacation
Only have limited Internet
Will be back
Monday
And will check in

Briefly
Buckets of bolts still there
Those can be carried

Cabling already carried out by volunteer group

Yes I said carried

Many things are possible when minds are put to it

Thanks again

Dave Bear

In a couple of your posts in this thread you've mentioned how having pictures would be helpful (or something similar to that). Just in case you missed it, here's another thread containing a video and some photos taken about 3 weeks ago. http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40583. If you've already seen it, sorry for wasting your time, maybe I misunderstood.

Thanks for posting Erin's photos. Some of that debris looks familiar, some doesn't. Maybe some stuff has already been removed???

Thanks Billy! I had not seen the video and that does show that the big stack of decking is gone now which weighed about a ton! Its great to have your pictures and Erin's to get a good idea what it would take.

Thanks Billy! I had not seen the video and that does show that the big stack of decking is gone now which weighed about a ton! Its great to have your pictures and Erin's to get a good idea what it would take.

We will be focusing on smaller timbers and buckets of bolts and carry-able debris...just back at the computer...details to follow.

*UPDATE* I am filing the adopter agreement today -- if there is anyone who wants to get involved who hasn't contacted me with your full name -- please do so today! Any one who wishes to just "show up" on the day will not be doing so at thier own risk...so please let me know today if you even just think you might make it!

Thanks to all!!!

Last edited:
Hint

Una -dogger: You may need a lubricant to cut Creosote or Pressure treated matl. A good one is Kerosene but that just adds another chemical. Very hard binding with a saw is posible especially with poor set.
Another item that could be helpful are Straps of endless loop type. Used with a pole makes a lighter Timber Carrier. NO metal. Just a thought.

UPDATE

The adopter agreement is filed as of today's mail!!!

The PLAN:
We will meet at Lincoln Woods Saturday July 17 as planned at 9:00 am

We will be meeting with two USFS Forestry Technicians who will drive us all to the Wilderness Boundary (as well as working with us)

We will walk the 2.7 miles to the work site

Using USFS backpacks and large saws, we will work to dismember timbers on site.

We will be working on the smaller stuff in Billy's photos--smaller timbers, pails of stuff, etc. (not the monster railroad ties!)
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40583

We will carry out cut timbers, pails of bolts and other odds and ends to the Wilderness Boundary

If we happen to have more than ten people (more than ten signed up but there's always stuff that comes up and I understand if people need to back out) -- but if we are more than ten we will stagger into two groups -- one reaching the work site a bit earlier -- we will organize this on the fly as it unfolds.

I really appreciate everyone's involvement -- please feel free to do as much you feel you can -- all will be appreciated -- if you need to arrive later -- and are OK with walking the whole way out, that's fine too.

Please bring ample water and a lunch for yourself -- and if anyone has a pruning saw to lend to the effort, please bring it along!!!

In addition, if you have a cheap poly pro sled like Paradox suggested and would rather pull than carry -- bring it!!

If anyone has any type of straping like tie downs such as TrailwrightBrat mentioned, if you care to lend them to the effort, we may just find a way to use them!!

All good ideas!

Onward!

Last edited:
Bumping this Up!

Thanks to everyone who has volunteered, its very appreciated!

I spoke with the USFS today to finalize our plans, here they are -- and I hope I've covered any questions:

The Clean Up Day is this Saturday, July 16

We meet at Lincoln Woods at 9am

We will be transported to the Wilderness Boundary by the FS, where we will walk the remaining 2.7 miles.

We will be removing debris on the East Side of the Bridge Removal Site.

2 Members of the Pemi District will be working with us.

The USFS is loaning us ten big packs to use to carry stuff out.

We will be moving stuff back to the trucks -- they will take it from there.

If we have more than 10 (we have more than that signed up) we will simply split into two groups and stagger our arrival to the work site.

There is a ton of stuff out there, and I hope we can make a satisfying dent in it. Please don't anyone be discouraged but its unlikely that we will be able to clean it all up, but hopefully our efforts will inspire others (chiefly the USFS!)

If anyone wants to bring a saw, GREAT--have at it ! There is alot more stuff out there besides timbers, so there's just about something for everyone to carry out.

Please bring a lunch and water; and sturdy work gloves.

I'm planning on making two haul trips myself -- its up to each individual to decide what they are up for.

Again, huge thanks. :) As a wise one said to me recently about this project, "let the legacy of Molly's Folly be her own, and the road toward the right thing to do be the people's!"...or something like that...:D Right on!

And I apologize if the planning has been sketchy, I'm more of an "idea" gal than a planner!

See you all saturday!

Last edited:
Wow what an opportunity to help close a volume of history. I would love to join. However, due to work issues Imay not be able to commit. Because of the forms you have filled out are late comers excluded?

Wow what an opportunity to help close a volume of history. I would love to join. However, due to work issues Imay not be able to commit. Because of the forms you have filled out are late comers excluded?

Nope! Just pm me your full name and we will attach it to the volunteer agreement. If you make it great! If not, totally understandable.

We happen to need a jobsite Birder, but, no pressure....:)

Great job with the organization! This is a wonderful thing you're doing, just sorry I can't joint and help.

I was out there a few weeks ago with Sapblatt. The area has several piles of lumber, buckets of hardware, some coiled cable, and one very long stretch of cable lying on the trail.

Pemi East Side/Suspension Bridge Site

Thanks for posting the link to the pics, Bobby -- I was told another volunteer group was working on the cables -- guess they couldn't get them all. :-(