Walker Brook Area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc McPeak

Reaction score
saratoga springs Avatar: Spring has sprung ... ju
I was thinking of heading up Walker Brook for the first time and am looking for any scoops on the area.

Access? Looks like some type of road heads toward the Schroon River from Rt. 9? Is this drivable? Parking along it, or at the end?

Do you wade the river? Rockhop it?

Is the 87 crossing near Walker Brook? (South of the initial access?)

That's my main concern. Any other bits on herpaths, etc. would be helpful as well.

TIA, Sean

PM me for details. I've been all over Walker Brook.

Short version: Access is from a unmarked dirt drive that runs from route 9 down to the Schroon River. Park there, wade the river, then a network of dirt roads leads to the Northway culverts. Culverts are well north of where the brook goes under the Northway. A herd path (ATV trail) leads from the culverts to the brook, crosses it, and heads up the right (S) bank.

If you are intersted in the two rocky hills south og the brook, see this post for details:

http://www.adkclimbs.com/index.php/topic,252.msg699.html#msg699

Have fun in there!

Tom

We drove across (a trib of) the Schroon River, through a gravel pit and parked in a small PA at the beginning of the West Mill Brook approach to the Dix area.

(High clearance vehicle, December.)

To answer my own question, with Tom leading me in the right direction.

I got Barb McMartin's Northeastern Adks book out of the library and it was fairly close with its directions. That's a good enough place for anyone to start on this area.

There is no signage on the route 9 turn-off, as TCD mentions, but the large sign down the dirt road for NYS right of way can't be missed and lets you know you are on the right path. Parking for a few cars right on the river.

The Schroon River was fast and high. I took my pants off and hiked my boxer-briefs up and they still got a little wet. The current made it a mild struggle but the bottom is very small pebbles and sand, and sandals make it an easy ford. I left my sandals and a small towel on the far side, where they were dry for the return. Anything higher, and swifter, would have complicated matters.

Great area to explore. I'll be back for more.