Waumbek, Weeks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElBrendano

Reaction score
I have packed up my White Mountain Guide in preparation for my move to Indiana for Grad school (how will I satisfy my peakbagging urges there, I wonder?), so I can't consult it right now. I'm thinking of hiking Waumbek, North and South Weeks this weekend. Is it possible for a day trip (how many miles?)? I know the Weeks' are not bushwhacks, but I seem to remember hearing once that there are summit registers on the peaks, is this true, and if so, are they difficult to find? Finally, where is the trailhead for a day trip up these peaks?

Thanks!

-B

Or if you have a second car you can make a one way of it. Starting on the Star King trail to the summit of Waumbek, then taking the Kilkenny
Ridge trail to the York Pond trail and going down to the Fish Hatchery in Berlin.

So the total milage would be 12.2 miles versus 17+ miles for an out and back.

Starr King to Mt. Waumbek - 3.8 miles

Mt. Waumbek to Jct. York Pond Trail - 6.0 miles

Jct. York Pond Trail to Fish Hatchery - 2.4 miles

Or...

if your fortunate enough you can have bobandgeri park at one end and meet them along the way and hike the whole route! (Thanks that was fun!!)

Thats what friends are for volunteering their services. As for hiking at grad school perhaps you could consider a school that has an irregular shaped horizon.

York Pond Trail

bobandgeri said:
Or if you have a second car you can make a one way of it. Starting on the Star King trail to the summit of Waumbek, then taking the Kilkenny Ridge trail to the York Pond trail and going down to the Fish Hatchery in Berlin.

Maybe someone has been there more recently but the last time I hiked out on York Pond Trail, there were two non-trivial brook crossings about a half mile or so from the Hatchery trailhead (were there bridges at one time?). Unless they've put in some bridges, relocated the trail or the water is low, you may have to bushwhack along the bank or wade.