White Mtn Foliage Hikes on a Misty Saturday

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
Sept 29, 2012

I had wanted to hike a bunch of trails I had never been on, and, given the rainy forecast I wanted to stay low in elevation and see the foliage. Then I thought a bit longer and realized maybe the water in various falls would be higher so I decided to hit some waterfalls. So, in all, I did four separate small hikes and was pretty tired at the end of the day. Also, I threw several changes of clothes in the car in case I got wet. I didn’t plan to wear a rain shell but I carried one on me.

The nice thing about a lot of small hikes in a day is that you are never far from food and provisions/clothes/etc and you can adjust between hikes. Plus, you don’t have to carry lunch. At times I did run the trails, but, for the uphills I just hoofed it and made good time. The foliage was awesome. I never needed a change of clothes and never wore the rain shell.

The agenda: Georgiana Falls, then on up the road to loop over Mt Pemigewasset (Indian Head) with some extra trails thrown in. Then, a drive up to hike Mt Martha via Cherry Mountain Trail. From there, I decided I had enough time to loop up around Arethusa Falls via Bemis Brook Trail and Frankenstein Cliff Trail. It was a fun day!!!!

It isn’t long before you meet the falls all along the trail
P1000521-georgfalls.jpg

You can even see the highway from this vista
P1000517-highwayfromgeorgfalls.jpg

Some pretty reds along the way
P1000509-lowergeorgianafalls.jpg

I just happened to look down and see this design someone left in the wet leaves… I love fall too!!!!
P1000527-heartleaves.jpg

Looking down river
P1000524-neargeorgianafalls.jpg

A wider look at the same downstream… the reds were outstanding!
P1000526-neargeorgfalls.jpg

From there is was on to Mt. Pemigewasset. Views were mostly clouded in but still, pretty neat. I looped down to Route 3 and walked the road back. Here’s some undercast from the summit:
P1000535-undercastfromsummitofindianhead.jpg

Mt Martha was also pretty socked in. Here’s the only view I’ve ever had from its summit:
P1000549-summitofmtmartha.jpg

And then I drove to Crawford’s Notch and started up the Arethusa Falls Trail. But I first “had” to loop down the Bemis Brook Trail – lots of outstanding cascades like this one
P1000557-bemisbrook.jpg

The iconic Arethusa Falls picture – dwarfs us tourists!!!
P1000564-arethusafalls.jpg

(cont.)

From there it was further than I expected up and down to the cliffs. From here you have a good view of the river and the highway parallel to each other
P1000587-roadfromfrankcliff.jpg

The foliage and the cliffs
P1000576-anotherviewoffrankcliff.jpg

Another view of the same cliffs. By the way, you do have to be careful because the trail goes RIGHT next to the dropoff!!!!
P1000575-fromfrankensteinclifftr.jpg

Then, it was on down to the Frankenstein Trestle – larger than life, seriously!!!
P1000590-trestletop.jpg

And, from under the walkway under the trestle – looks rather ominous but VERY imposing
P1000605-beneathtrestle.jpg

I hope you enjoy!!!!

Nice pics Becca! We were wondering how things were developing. We did the Georgiana Falls last year at the same time and comparing it with our pics (a lot of similiar angles) it appears that there was a bit more green than we would have expected. So we are HOPING that when we head up for trail work we'll get some nice shots too! Thx for sharing!

Nice pics Becca! We were wondering how things were developing. We did the Georgiana Falls last year at the same time and comparing it with our pics (a lot of similiar angles) it appears that there was a bit more green than we would have expected. So we are HOPING that when we head up for trail work we'll get some nice shots too! Thx for sharing!

Thanks!!! Also, thanks for the trailwork!!!! It is a beautiful area!!!! :)

A nice set of hikes, thanks for posting! It's good to see how the foliage is progressing. I did the exact same loop of Frankenstein cliffs Arethusa falls including bemis loop a week ago after a Jefferson hike. Judging from your shot from the cliff looking back towards the waterfall, things have really progressed, as there were a lot more greens. It's a more rugged loop than you might expect from all the tourists around, especially all the slick muddy sections between the trestle and the cliffs. The coliseum falls right by the steep drop off of the bemis loop is a gem I didn't expect to find too.