Why Do You Hike?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I've always been blessed/cursed with more than my fair share of wanderlust. I'd say I'm driven, but not in a useful way like ambition.

Whether hiking, sailing, canoeing, biking, heck - even driving - The destination is the necessary evil, the travelling is the part enjoyed. Aside from the pain, my eye injury on Waumbek was almost a welcome way to continue the excitement. Lord knows I've spent more time retelling the story than I did hiking.

If I go more than a week without getting out and roaming around, I become a rather dark and brooding character. I daydream constantly about bigger hikes, while spending a good chunk of time in the local MDC parks and reservoir areas ('Maintenance hikes'). As Captain Jim pointed out - they may not be grand, but they are nearby and scratch the itch.

I tell people that since I lack the time to spend nurturing an inner child, I developed an 'inner dog'. Every few days I take it out for a walk, and it stays happy, loyal and sane.

McRat said:
since I lack the time to spend nurturing an inner child, I developed an 'inner dog'. Every few days I take it out for a walk, and it stays happy, loyal and sane.

McRat, that is one of the funniest, truest statements I've read yet.

Last summer my co-workers started calling me "freak" because I climb mountains. It became a joke of mine to sit on the summit looking out over all the splendor laid out at my feet and say "and I'm the freak".
This winter my boss found out that I go up to the 8th floor and back down for my break and lunchtime. She looked straight at me and told me I was crazy. It struck me odd that anyone would call anyone else crazy that was building up heart, lung and muscle strength.
And I'm the freak (and proud of it).

HM: I never thought about it that way. But guess what. By your co-workers standards -- I'm a freak too. AND proud of it !!

But my co-workers can tell you who got booted off the island on survivor or what kind of bugs they had to eat on fear factor and I can't because that wasn't important on the trail or on the mt top.

I just started a new job at a small company, about 12 employees, and someone asked what I was doing this weekend. Me; I am planning on hiking up Waumbek if the weather is okay. HIM; Waumwhat? ME; Waumbek, it is outside of Jefferson, it is one of the 4000K. HIM; You mean a 'mountain"? ME; Yup HIM; Oh, you're one of 'those'. ME; Umm, do you mean one of those people who like to hike? HIM; Yeah. Now you need to know that this business is in the HEART of downtown North Conway, smack center of Happy Valley, and this man GREW UP LOOKING AT MOUNT WASHINGTON. I grew up looking at cows and corn fields. Maybe that's one of the problems up here, too much of a good thing. But hey, he likes to snowmobile, power boat, 4 wheel and such, and I have zippo interset in that. I don't think that makes his activities any more or less odd than me liking to mountain bike, road bike, hike, kayak, and XC ski. I guess some people like to enjoy being outside with motors, some under their own power, some through a large window, and some, sadly, not at all. I'm just happy that I am healthy enough to be able to get up the trail, can see the beauty around me, and can appreciate the time I have left.

I remember talking with a friend who was moving to colorado. I told him that I have always been drawn to the mountains. that was even before I started hiking. I guess you cant put it into words. I enjoy the scenery, the peace and quite, the exexcise and the reward at the summit. I have 8 brothers and sisters and cant get one of them to go with me. so io guess there is no good answer to this question becouse i cant explain why i am different from them. I guess the best answer is that i "enjoy it".

I Hike For All The Fun And Beautiful Reasons Everyone Else Has Stated, But I Also Get A Spiritual Feeling. I Don't Really Go To Church, But I'm A Definate Believer. I Hike Mostly Solo.when I Stand On A Summit And See Only Lakes And Other Mountains , I Think That This Is The Way It Was Meant To Be. Thank God We Still Have Some Of These Places To Visit.

I 've got into hiking in 2002. Since then I've become a better hiker and camper. I also find it's addicting as many of you have said. When people ask why I hike is because I don't go for many organised sports, although I run cross country and track, because I enjoy it. I'm also restless and can't stand being confined to football fields and tracks.
The mountains are my backyard and I still haven't explored it all yet. Another reason why I hike is strengthen my mind and to get away from it all and relax. I enjoy hiking for spritual reasons to enjoy what God had given to me and He has given me. I consider myself to be lucky to have the mountains a days drive from my home in the flatlands.
There is nothing more better to listen to the cry of the loon and wind whistling through the pines and the rain pattering on the tent fly. I consider it to be awesome experience. I have many people I know that play video games and I always ask myself or to them "Why stare at a screen all day when you can be outside enjoying the outdoors." Although some of might play video games you have at least found better ways to amuse yourself. That's my thoughts on hiking

Ridgewalker said:
I 've got into hiking in 2002. Since then I've become a better hiker and camper. I also find it's addicting as many of you have said. When people ask why I hike is because I don't go for many organised sports, although I run cross country and track, because I enjoy it. I'm also restless and can't stand being confined to football fields and tracks.
The mountains are my backyard and I still haven't explored it all yet. Another reason why I hike is strengthen my mind and to get away from it all and relax. I enjoy hiking for spritual reasons to enjoy what God had given to me and He has given me. I consider myself to be lucky to have the mountains a days drive from my home in the flatlands.
There is nothing more better to listen to the cry of the loon and wind whistling through the pines and the rain pattering on the tent fly. I consider it to be awesome experience. I have many people I know that play video games and I always ask myself or to them "Why stare at a screen all day when you can be outside enjoying the outdoors." Although some of might play video games you have at least found better ways to amuse yourself. That's my thoughts on hiking

Well said Ridgewalker. I have a friend who can't understand hiking. I like football and I'm a Patriots fan but this guy lives his life for the Patriots. He has a season ticket (he's had it for 25 years) and goes to all the home games, watches all the road games on TV, during the off-season he watches video tapes of each Patriots game and analyzes each game and each play; see a pattern here? When I mentioned hiking to him and asked if he'd like to try it with me, he just gave me a look like I asked him to accompany me on a trip to the planet Neptune and said "too much work, I take life easy" then he pushed the button on his remote control to watch a Patriots game from last October... and so it goes. Some people just don't get it. :)

Last edited:
hey whitemthike, do yourself a favor and don't ask people to go with you.i don't. i have found that people who are interested will ask you. i used to get mad when people would shake their heads or give me those weird looks( my dad is still good for that ) but you know what....i know i get it and i'm also glad all these head shakers aren't in the woods with us...happy trails!

Good point Rocky Summit...what we do and what we "GET" is sheer torture to many. Why ruin it for youself? It is not like trying to expose your kids to something new when you try to drag an ill-equipped, out of shape friend up a 4000 footer with you. They are not going to like it and they will ruin your day.
Waiting for people to aks if they want to go is a much better way to get the nonhikers who have some interest in going out with us!

...because I can't fly? (now that would be fun!)

Why I Hike...

I hike for these reasons...

1 - Because the mountains are amazingly beautiful! They are almost unreal, but so very real. Much more real than everyday life.

2 - To get away from the everyday almost real world. Most days I don't really feel awake or asleep. When I hike I feel ALIVE!

3 - It helps me to clear my head. When I hike I usually have 2 thoughts through-out the day. First thought is "wow, this is amazing" and the other is "man I love my family" or some other thought about good things in my life at home.

4 - The hole aventure aspect. The fact that the skills that I've learned help keep me alive out there. I think that is part of the reason why I feel so ALIVE up there. Saying to yourself "If I don't make the correct decision here I could die" makes you feel really ALIVE.

5 - I am around a lot of people everyday. It's nice to get away and for the most part be around no one.

another long one.....

I spent my childhood vacations in my parents' camper. With A/C, TV stereo and the whole 9 yards. At best, I was allowed to swim all day- or ride my bike around. A young lady was never supposed to sweat profusely, get dirty, or hang out in the woods. Is it any wonder why I have been that "fat @$$ed" person at various periods of my life? At worst, I have been a "couple hundred" pounds over weight...gasp! The moment I moved out on my own, I bucked all that. I have always loved being outdoors.....and I have admired mountains like most girls admire rock stars- even when I was not into hiking.....I have always had this unexplainable Everest "thing".
I began hiking at a weight I am not going to mention- on top of that carried a 50 lb pack.....(I contribute most of that weight to the clothes.....wouldn't believe the weight difference in clothes if you require a large size....). I am sure I have looked ridiculious thru the years- I have never been a fast hiker- the one thing on my side has always been stamina....oh...and probably a little stubborness. It took a hike into Siameese Ponds and another up Snowy Mt. for me to get it. It was now finally worth it to spend an hour on a treadmill- it made sense. I have always studied the trails well- and never took on more than I KNEW I could handle- I have always been keenly aware that I could be putting my fellow hikers in jeopardy if I was physically not prepared for something.
Now hiking is almost a religion to me- any peak is my church. The sense of accomplishment when reaching a summit is overwhelming. Occasionally, it will dawn on me....man....I almost missed this!
My point in joining in on this post is to serve as a reminder that enthusiasm can rub off. Co-workers and family can tell me I am nuts....but then they have to listen to my explanation (and check out trip photos...hee hee). Don't just write off those posessing larger than average behinds.....they just don't know what you and I know.....yet.
P.S.- Speaking of people spending so much time indoors.....my boyfriend and I noticed this winter - that there were absolutely no snowmen built in our area. I am saddened by all of the children I see waiting for the bus in the morning....yet - none of them are really ever outside playing.

'Nuff said...
ADK