Why is it…?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My pet peeves are:

1) Whiney-ass threads like this one (giggy said it better)

2) Hikers strutting around like they're SOMEBODY in the cafeteria on Mt Washington.

Kevin Rooney said:
2) Hikers strutting around like they're SOMEBODY in the cafeteria on Mt Washington.
Haha. I've totally seen this. hahaha.

Funny Post Kevin Rooney!

-Dr. Wu

That reminds me of when...

sapblatt said:
Julie - that reminds me - I also hate people who cannot control their dogs on the trail...had a full size lab jump on a four year old earlier this year - when the Mrs. said "you should put your dog on a leash" she was told back "you should put your kid on a leash." This is in a reservation where it is required that you leash your dog...I love dogs, but I do not know if yours if friendly, and frankly, I do not have the desire to find out - I act first...

I was jogging along on the trail by Lake MarieLoiuse and heard this huffing and puffing coming from the woods I was about to enter. It was blueberry season, so when I saw a large black animal coming charging toward me, I let out a blood curdling screeeeeeeeeeeam. To my grand relief it was a huge black Lab (not the ferocious bear I had envisioned!!) So as I was petting the over zealous pup and trying to catch my breath, his owner comes limping out of the woods behind him.
Instead of me being upset w/ his animal terrifying me, the guy starts flaming me for screaming, scaring him and causing him to twist his ankle and fall. Then he goes on to say that it looks like his injury is going to end his day and that he wants me to walk him back to the trail head.
I was flabbergasted! And couldn't help laughing (something I greatly enjoy whenever I can!) and politely told him that I had to continue my run in order to get back to the car and back to Albany in less time that it would take him to get to his car.
He then accused me of riding a bike??!!! (I was wearing a cycling jersey and could have appeared to be floating along the trail - but riding a bike on the Ridge trail??!)

Lots of different people out there ! Whether it is a night in traffic court or a day on the trails, there is plenty of free entertainment for those that can smile easily and move along. :)

Kevin Rooney said:
Hikers strutting around like they're SOMEBODY in the cafeteria on Mt Washington.

But, dude, they like HIKED Mount Washington! That's like so totally as big as it gets.

dentonfabrics said:
That could be the VFTT Line Of The Year - 2007.

Don't get me wrong - I think that anyone who climbs to the top of any peak has a right to feel good about themselves - but that doesn't mean they are superior to anyone else.

Not that I'm a shining example of much of anything - there's the old saying "If you spot it you've got it". But, we inspire each other. When you crest the hill and start walking across the crushed rock, almost invariably people approach you somewhat incredulously and ask if you've climbed the mountain. This happened to me a few days ago and has many times in the past. I'd urge readers here to answer their questions simply and without contempt.

Several years ago when I was 'getting into hiking' my wife and I had a brief conversation with a gal as we climbing Camels Hump near our home. She casually mentioned that it was a favorite mountain of her husband, particularly IN WINTER. I was dumbstruck - I'd lived in Vermont most of life, avid skier, etc - but didn't know anyone could actually climb these peaks in winter. That inspiration led to my own winter hiking, volunteering for trip leading, outdoor education and more.

So, the next time you top out, give thanks that you were given the gift of physical health, determination, and with any luck, humility.

SkierSteve said:
There are too many people out there with a chip on their shoulder and even a frosty verbal exchange isn't what I'm looking for. I get my fill of tension driving around Mass and RI.
I had a woman unload her "Why is it?" on me early one Saturday winter morning, ranting about how my dog shouldn't be on the trails, why don't you stick to open woods or leave it home, etc. Funny thing was we were in a "dog accepted" place, the dog was not barking (she never does), obeying posted leash rules, and standing/sitting off of the trail to let the uphill climber pass. It seems my courteous "good morning" provoked this verbal abuse.

Life is too short to carry so much baggage. I just smiled, retorted with "That's your opinion", and marched on. I try to enjoy the hike for what it is, happy that I am able to be roaming the trails with my faithful companion.

Smitty

smitty77 said:
I just smiled, retorted with "That's your opinion", and marched on.
I tend to use "I will give your suggestion all the consideration it deserves." It usually confuses them for a moment to allow my stealthy getaway.

-dave-

Unbelievable

Is this what life has come to? Complaining?

That is why:
1. I live in B-town (Bethlehem NH)
2. I leave the trailhead around 5:30 am
3. I always bring my dog!
4. I rarely talk to ANYONE on the trails

iceNsnow said:
I was jogging along on the trail by Lake MarieLoiuse and I saw a large black animal coming charging toward me, I let out a blood curdling screeeeeeeeeeeam. To my grand relief it was a huge black Lab (not the ferocious bear I had envisioned!!) So as I was petting the over zealous pup and trying to catch my breath, his owner comes limping out of the woods behind him. Instead of me being upset w/ his animal terrifying me, the guy starts flaming me for screaming, scaring him and causing him to twist his ankle and fall. Then he goes on to say that it looks like his injury is going to end his day and that he wants me to walk him back to the trail head. :)

I think you did us all a public service by screaming loud enough so the guy would fall and twist his ankle :p and we would not have to meet him on the trail for awhile. :)

Last edited:
Paradox said:
The thing that drives me into a blind, seething rage on the trail is to hear other hikers leaving a dangling participle. :p
Hurrying to get away from the smell of perfume, a tree fell on my head.

Stop and talk to the hikers

I always stop and talk when I can. If someone in going to pass me, either up hill or down, I stop, pull off the trail at a good spot and say hello, great day or something along that line.

I have met some very nice people that way. I have received great intell on the trail or area or just the mountains in general.

Don't be affraid to talk to people. The worst that can happen is they mumble and grumble :eek: and keep on going. There loss.

HikeSafe....Walker :D :D

Neil said:
Hurrying to get away from the smell of perfume, a tree fell on my head.

Neil - how did you ever manage to continue with life?

thats it - I am done hiking, its just too much to stress and my anger managment classes no longer work, back to riding the subway at rush hour for fun.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

giggy said:
Neil - how did you ever manage to continue with life?

thats it - I am done hiking, its just too much to stress and my anger managment classes no longer work, back to riding the subway at rush hour for fun.

:D :D :D :D :D :D
What I failed to mention is that the perfume was being ejected from the south end of a skunk that faced north. I was 4 feet from the ejection port and downwind. That is why I left a participle dangling in the woods. It snagged a branch which brought a beech tree down on my head. There was an angry bear harvesting beech nuts in that tree. The skunk was angry because a hiker had been goading it with a brand new Leki titanium alloy hiking pole.

I was not angry, it made me smile as a matter of fact. I can enroll you in my anger management class if you really think you need it.

Hey, listen, after less than a year living back in NYC, I can tell you that a sense of crowds is all relative. I would long to have to negotiate around a "crowd" of 10 or 20 people on an open mountain trail _ rather than bump, dodge and maneuver around thousands on a nasty, gum-piss-beer-vomit stained sidewalk! :eek:

Yes, do I get occasionally miffed on the trail. You betcha. But I'd rather be hiking a mountain than dodging traffic jams on the road and on the sidewalk or the grocery aisles (yes, people can be total dunderheads there too. Why, oh why, do they insist on parking their carts right in the middle of the aisle???)

People are people. Some are annoying; some can't handle annoying people; some know how to get zen and just avoid annoying people; sometimes annoying is just annoying and there's nothing you can do about it. It is an endless question of what motivates people and why some are more dense than others. Some are totally oblivious to how annoying they are; some are purposely being pains in the a$$. Will the wonders never cease!? :confused:

Perhaps the best and only policy is to not allow annoying people to ruin our days on the trail...None of this is to say I don't agree that I get miffed at some of the things my fellow humans do or don't do. But I can't spend my life worrying about trying to fix them. I have enough to worry about in keeping my own head screwed on straight.