Why is it…?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first started to get into hiking, I had this idea that I was the only one who was supposed to be out on the trail, and I used to get mad if areas were overcrowded. Nowadays, I understand...its NH, its beautiful, and I embrace the hiking culture we live in, so I don't mind people around at all. If I'm in a wilderness area like the eastern Pemi, it is a little different though....it would be nice to have a little solitude.

I have recently learned one pet peeve of mine. I love dogs. My girlfriend has a cute border collie, Coby, and we brought it on two recent hikes....Osceola, and Zeacliff. Coby is great with people, but not so great when he meets other dogs...so whenever we come across another dog, it makes for tense moments on the trail. In fact, he made dogs almost twice his mass quiver after he snapped and growled. I was amazed....and extremely embarassed. Plus, he kept running into Zealand Hut, before I could get the leash onto him...which is a no-no. So that was equally embarassing. All of this was going on when my girlfriend wasn't even near the dog. I had to keep up with him because he was kind of running fast. Leashing him wasn't really working too well either...So if we take Coby on a hike again it will prob be a small affair with a leash. You live and you learn I suppose.

So if dogs dont like other dogs....thats a huge problem on hikes, especially dog friendly ones. It really makes it difficult for the owners, and it can be embarassing.

So if you were hiking Zeacliff on 9/23, had a dog and a border collie snapped at your dog, we're sorry. :(

grouseking

alpinista said:
Perhaps the best and only policy is to not allow annoying people to ruin our days on the trail...None of this is to say I don't agree that I get miffed at some of the things my fellow humans do or don't do. But I can't spend my life worrying about trying to fix them. I have enough to worry about in keeping my own head screwed on straight.
Getting worked up and stewing about something that offends one often does far more damage than the original offense. Sometimes deciding that I'm simply not going to let something bother me is the best solution.

Doug

My pet pieve is people who complain about dogs period. I have never had a problem with dogs, leashed or not, is this board full of eliteist or a bunch of scardicats? my second pet pieve people who need to be acknowledged on the trail, I sometimes am in my own place and do not say hello or engage in a conversation with total strangers I happen to run into.
really, my point here is not to flame but man, you guys are so dam sensitive, just go hike and stop running back to your computer and coming out here bitching about your experience on the trail and what what wrong with it. I mean there are some important topics that do come up ie. rescues and such, those we can learn from but, not saying hello? as far as people not moving when they are sitting smack dab in the middle of the trail? if Im on a running descent of mine, I would suggest your pick up your crap and tuck in your legs, because Im not going to stop and wait for you, Im coming through and FAST.

Fluff it up.

timmus said:
You don't think fluff deserves a spot on vftt ?

Read this
If I want fluff I just open my dryer's lint screen. If I am sick and tired of fluff I turn off my computer. If I want to carry a hot chick's make-up case up a mountain I resort to email.

complaining about complaining

I notice that some of those from the anti-complaining camp complain that the complainers are elitist. "I am above complaining and being bothered by anything at all". Hmmm...strange complaint.

I've never met anyone without complaints, and I've met a lot of very nice, intelligent, fun people.

If I am elitist for being disgusted with seeing tp wads on the side of the trail, then the term "elitist" is synonymous with the term "civilized". In my elitist view, those who leave them are grunts, as are those who are not bothered by it. It doesn't ruin my hike, but for the moment I feel disgust, then bury it out of respect for the forest. Then I proceed with my enjoyable hike. I understand that I share a planet with grunts and nice people. I appreciate the nice people and the wildlife.

happy trails :)

Last edited:
This thread started out inquiring about things that bother people.
If you can't contribute to the thread without belittling those who disagree, don't read it.

sierra said:
My pet pieve is people who complain about dogs period. I have never had a problem with dogs, leashed or not.....
The problem with unleashed dogs lies in all the running around they do. As soon as you cut them loose, they start running all over the place and in the last 50 years the number of these dogs running around has risen dramatically. In the same time frame the average global temperature has also risen significantly. Coincidence? I think not. You see as the dogs are running around they move the air around them. This leads to friction within the air molecules and thus increases the temperature of the air, and this leads to Global Warming, which is becoming a real problem. Please do your part to limit Global Warming by leashing your dogs. :p :p :p

Peakbagr said:
This thread started out inquiring about things that bother people.
If you can't contribute to the thread without belittling those who disagree, don't read it.
I might make a slight correction and say that this thread started out inquiring about things that baffle people.

And add that I am always amazed how many state they are not bothered by others and yet go ‘off the wall’ in their response here. :rolleyes:

Those not baffled by others need not reply. ;)